Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Engine Mount Replacement

I removed all the rubber. The downside to that approach is that you have to find a way to align the center portion of the mount relative to the housing. I built a simple jig to do this.

Waste of time since I ended up using another factory mount, but now I have a nice pretty spare.

Ok, so i've made my jig, cut out templates in cardboard that will align center portion of mount.

any thoughts on efficiently removing all the rubber?

Ok, post surgery report...

i had to get the Flexane 94, no one had 80 for several hundred miles.

take your time when preparing for the pour, really make sure you seal it up on the bottom.

the ride is stiff, the throttle response is definetly improved. the vibrations on the other had are a little much for my wife, it feels like a race car which in my mind is awesome, but it is a little harsh for daily driving.

i may redo a mount with the 80 to see if it is any better.

anyone have an old mount they would like to sell?

• 6 months later...

take your time when preparing for the pour, really make sure you seal it up on the bottom.

the ride is stiff, the throttle response is definetly improved. the vibrations on the other had are a little much for my wife, it feels like a race car which in my mind is awesome, but it is a little harsh for daily driving.

Guy's I am killing myself here where do I find this Flexane stuff. I want to get this done ASAP.

TIA

Josh

u can buy it at freemansupply.com or plastic world.ca

what's ur zip code?

Guy's I am killing myself here where do I find this Flexane stuff. I want to get this done ASAP.

TIA

Josh

what's ur zip code?

TIA

Josh

U live in Kent? Hello there neighbor!

Applied Industrial Tech.

22030 84th Avenue So.

Kent, WA 98032

Phone: 253 872-5398

Fax: (253) 872-8366

Motion Industries

8029 S 187th Street

Kent, WA 98032

Phone: 206 248-4666

Fax: 206/248-5100

IDG

5835 SEGALE PARK DRIVE C

TUKWILLA, WA 98188

Phone: 206 762-4430

Fax: 206 762-5329

what's ur zip code?

TIA

Josh

Edited by juniinc

Thanks man...I actually live in Maple Valley right by 4 corners. We have a very strong P car group and put on many drives when the weathe is nice to us. check it out!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Applied Industrial Tech.

22030 84th Avenue So.

Kent, WA 98032

Motion Industries

8029 S 187th Street

Kent, WA 98032

IDG

5835 SEGALE PARK DRIVE C

TUKWILLA, WA 98188

what's ur zip code?

TIA

Josh

U r welcome man! Hey r u the one bought the window kit from me at the Quest field?

very cool! I remember u inviting me last time I saw u- it must've been something like this huh?

post-23680-1196746588_thumb.jpg

Thanks man...I actually live in Maple Valley right by 4 corners. We have a very strong P car group and put on many drives when the weathe is nice to us. check it out!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Applied Industrial Tech.

22030 84th Avenue So.

Kent, WA 98032

Motion Industries

8029 S 187th Street

Kent, WA 98032

IDG

5835 SEGALE PARK DRIVE C

TUKWILLA, WA 98188

what's ur zip code?

TIA

Josh

Edited by juniinc

One of the things I have always done with many cars is pull the mounts and fill the empty spots in them with urethane.

mount.jpg

This was filled with Devon Flexane 94 on my dad's race car. It doens't make them solid or so they will vibrate at all. The stock rubber is still in there, this is just poured urethane around it to fill in the gaps. We filled all 5 mounts on his engine and he has pretty lumpy cams and its still smooth, but it stops the engine from jerking around in the bay a lot. Even on the dyno the motor doesn't move much. These are on a VQ35DE powered 4th Gen Maxima. Puts 269whp N/A and 390ish on Nitrous to the wheels.

You tape up the back side and pour the Flexane in and it sets over night then re-install the mount. It will pretty well solve the motor moving around problem or mounts rubber wearing out. Pretty slck stuff.

You'll have to search around to find it, but these guys carry it.

http://www.venselenterprises.com/onlinecat...plies/p305.html

Jim which one did you use from that link you posted, did you use the flexible Epoxy or another?

Hello.

For those of you in process of using flexane, read this.

My engine mount was completely destroyed, and off position. :cursing:

After reading previous post on the hardness of Flexane 80 and Flexane 94, I've done some

research on this product and found that they've created a flexible product that reduces hardness.

So, I've rebuild the original engine mount with flexane 80 but I've added Flexadd to the mix

to reduce the hardness to 70 (more similar to the original rubber)

This mix was great, I don’t have any vibration from the engine and flexane is holding great.

The Flexane 80 and Flexadd were bought from Markingpendepot.com

Good luck

post-24675-1196806263_thumb.jpg

post-24675-1196806284_thumb.jpg

post-24675-1196806291_thumb.jpg

post-24675-1196806299_thumb.jpg

U r welcome man! Hey r u the one bought the window kit from me at the Quest field?

very cool! I remember u inviting me last time I saw u- it must've been something like this huh?

post-23680-1196746588_thumb.jpg

Yep that was me and that was my drive I put together. We went had a blast and can not wait to do it again soon. We had some GT3's, a 700HP 996TT, A CLK DTM and many others. It was one of the best drive of the year! I may still need to have you install that for me. I just have not had the time.

Edited by JP-"S"

One of the things I have always done with many cars is pull the mounts and fill the empty spots in them with urethane.

mount.jpg

This was filled with Devon Flexane 94 on my dad's race car. It doens't make them solid or so they will vibrate at all. The stock rubber is still in there, this is just poured urethane around it to fill in the gaps. We filled all 5 mounts on his engine and he has pretty lumpy cams and its still smooth, but it stops the engine from jerking around in the bay a lot. Even on the dyno the motor doesn't move much. These are on a VQ35DE powered 4th Gen Maxima. Puts 269whp N/A and 390ish on Nitrous to the wheels.

You tape up the back side and pour the Flexane in and it sets over night then re-install the mount. It will pretty well solve the motor moving around problem or mounts rubber wearing out. Pretty slck stuff.

You'll have to search around to find it, but these guys carry it.

http://www.venselenterprises.com/onlinecat...plies/p305.html

Jim which one did you use from that link you posted, did you use the flexible Epoxy or another?

Looks like they moved the site around

http://www.venselenterprises.com/onlinecat...plies/p306.html

its the flexane 94. A lot of guys are saying its too much vibrations in the boxster on that mount. I did it on a different car which had more engine mounts so it was not as noticeable. Seems like 80 is the way to go.

Anybody have links for the 80 to buy online?

• 3 months later...

I potted an old, torn motor mount for a friend with Flexane 80. We followed the instructions to a "t" and the motor mount failed after less than a year in service. The Devcon didn't bond to the Porsche rubber (even properly degreased, cleaned, dried and roughed up and given proper time to cure at room temp). I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I tried the Devcon repair on two motor mounts and neither one of them lasted in service. They eventually developed a nasty vibration around 3,000 RPM which forced us to remove the mount and find that it had separated again.

Ordered a new mount and found that the part number has been superceded to a 987 part number. 987-375-023-04. It is far more robust than the old 986 mount. There is more rubber connecting the inner metal of the mount to the outer cylinder. Also there is more rubber in the void area, meaning the mount can deflect less under heavy loads.

The new part was only $140.14 from Sunset.

Edited by John V

• 3 months later...

My apologies for adding to this old thread but I'm seriously envious of everyone who managed the engine mount replacement with minimal trouble. I have not been so lucky and am looking for some help. Witness the attached pictures. With my new mount bolted to the frame I am now about an inch away from lining up the mount with the engine. Examination of the old mount shows that not only was the rubber seriously torn from the mount but pushed heavily to the left side of the car. (When I say left or right I am looking forward from the rear of the car).

UPDATE: I installed the frame mount upside-down. This is what happens when you don't do the job all in one go. Car now back together with minimal fuss. Next time I'll take pictures during the entire process for reference. Of course there will be no next time because I hope I die before I have to spend that much time underneath my own car cursing myself.

-bill

1998 Boxster 2.5.

post-19296-1214614905_thumb.jpg

post-19296-1214614939_thumb.jpg

post-19296-1214614958_thumb.jpg

post-19296-1214614971_thumb.jpg

Edited by pricebill

Get a good flashlight and go look to see what you're doing. I just did mine, and did not have any problems, although it takes a lot of fighting to get it in/out since there is just no space.

If you think about it, the bolts fit/lined up before, so the the new mount should similarly go back in. Some advice I learned part-way through the process is do NOT do the lower bolts until you get the upper bolts in.

Good luck!

• 9 months later...