Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Advice on 2001 996TT Upgrades

Hello, I recently purchased a 2001 996TT with 15kmi.

I could use some help/advice on mods. I will do some autocross and track events, but the car will be mostly for street fun with aggressive and twisty drives!

B&M Short Shifter - I installed this day 1 and without a doubt this is a 'must have'. I was suprised that the car didn't come with at least a factory short shifter.

----

Here's waht I am looking to do next:

Bosch Plugs, FR6CBC - my plugs are 4-years old and several people have told me that if I plan to load more power on the car that these plugs should be upgraded.

EVO Billet Diverter Valves - After all the posts I've read on this... It seems like it is a 'must have' as well. At least to upgrade the stock Diverter Valves to something better.

EVO Billet Shift Link - Being that I replaced the shifter, I wish I knew about this part earlier. I can definitely imagine that plastic shift link busting... This seems like a smart idea and an easy install.

K & N Filter - Easy enough, why not?

Chip Programming - (maybe Sharkwerks) HP inscrease

Wastegate Actuator Springs - upgrade stock wastegate actuator springs to 1Bar+ springs. I found this in one post, but haven't heard of it anywhere else. What do you think?

------

Then down the road:

Some type of suspension/handling upgrade: RoW X73/PSS9

Some type of exhaust upgrade: MilTek, Tubi, etc...

Better clutch/flywheel?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

------

IMHO: The shift link is not necessary or worth it. Be careful of the aftermarket filters as they may throw CELs (make sure it is dry). You may want to look into intake system? Again with ECU flashing...shop around for what you want long term...Sharkwerks is fine. Don't need to upgrade the wastegates unless you are upgrading the turbos (sometimes this comes with them btw). I would get suspension before that and exhaust as well. Sach stage 2 clutch LWFW also! Have fun.

Thank you! Your response is very helpful. I plan to put in a K&N pre-oiled filter-- what do you think?

After the ECU/Sparkplug/Diverter valve upgrade then I will go for suspension then exhaust. I think the stock clutch will be fine until I get the exhaust upgrade... What would one expect from that stage 2 clutch?-- not sure what 'LWFW' means either :)

I was going to leave the intake and headers for last... The service manager at the dealership claimed to see to many MAF issues with the modified intakes... but he did mention that he has seen his share of broken shifter links... I was suprised to see that you didn't care for that one as it seems like such a cheap easy fix.

Thanks for your help!

IMHO: The shift link is not necessary or worth it. Be careful of the aftermarket filters as they may throw CELs (make sure it is dry). You may want to look into intake system? Again with ECU flashing...shop around for what you want long term...Sharkwerks is fine. Don't need to upgrade the wastegates unless you are upgrading the turbos (sometimes this comes with them btw). I would get suspension before that and exhaust as well. Sach stage 2 clutch LWFW also! Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you! Your response is very helpful. I plan to put in a K&N pre-oiled filter-- what do you think?

I would not use an oiled filter!

After the ECU/Sparkplug/Diverter valve upgrade then I will go for suspension then exhaust. I think the stock clutch will be fine until I get the exhaust upgrade... What would one expect from that stage 2 clutch?-- not sure what 'LWFW' means either :)

Yes, you are probably fine with the stock clutch until you get up near 600hp. The LWFW is a light weight fly wheel. It is about 25lbs. light than the dual flywheel which is stock. It is capable of handling considerably more HP and it performs better (only downside is some minimal chatter when the car is in neutral).

I was going to leave the intake and headers for last... The service manager at the dealership claimed to see to many MAF issues with the modified intakes... but he did mention that he has seen his share of broken shifter links... I was suprised to see that you didn't care for that one as it seems like such a cheap easy fix.

I have taken my aftermarket intake off and now I have no MAF issues. I find it interesting that your dealer sees shifter links failing. If it were a problem I think this site would cover it...but it is not. Read for yourself:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry11426

Good luck and have fun!

I agree with the others that an oiled K&N might give you MAF problems. I'll sell you the one I tried to use on my 01 for about 20 miles. My guess is that the oil from the filter contaminate the MAF a little and set off the CEL. I went back to a OE dry filter and stopped having problems.

I'm not sure how your suspension is doing but my 01 with 25k miles was begging for some new suspension. I went with KW V3 and couldn't be happier.

Good Luck On911, it sounds like you have a long and exciting mod plan.

OT: Ross, do you drive your car on 36 north of Bldr and down Neva rd. I recently moved back to CO and found a rental out at LV. I see a Black 996TT with a GT2 wing, lowered and exhaust driving around out there.

OT: Ross, do you drive your car on 36 north of Bldr and down Neva rd. I recently moved back to CO and found a rental out at LV. I see a Black 996TT with a GT2 wing, lowered and exhaust driving around out there.

I take 36N a couple of times a month and yes I've been on Neva...but I have a triple black CAB and a Strosek wing and a TechArt Type II GTS front bumper oh yeah and lowered as well.

wross,

what are the chances that there are two tricked out black turbos driving around out here? I must have been too busy staring at the front bumper and ride hieght that I completely missed that it was a cab. Any idea how many 996TTs there are in the boulder area? 5? 100? more? Anyway, if you see some kook in a blue 996TT, green explorer or silver X5, waving at you, it will most likely be me.

On911: Sorry to hijack the thread. One mod suggestion would be sway bars. I've not done this yet but I've read that it significantly improves handling for reletively little $. And the list goes on and on... Good Luck