Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

rebuilding Nipondeso AC compressor - special tools?

the AC compressor on my daughter's 944S seeps oil/freon from the center seam of the compressor - otherwise works fine - so, time to change the o-rings and the front seal. The process for changing the seal is described in the service manual, along with special tools to use. I have a reasonable home machine shop (4 ft metal lathe, horiz/vertical mill, etc) and can easily make most of the stuff, but there is a puller for removing the clutch assembly that threads into the hub of the pulley - I can't (easily) cut metric threads, so I either need to buy this tool, find out what the threads are so I can find something with the right threads, or borrow one.

I found this tool

http://www.handsontools.com/store-products...nt%3E_1066.html

but I have no way to find out if it right for my compressor (I have the 10P15E compressor) - does anyone know if this tool fits? or where to find a tool that fits, or even, what threads are required so I can cut them myself?? Or (joy of joy) anyone near los angeles that would care to lend me a set of the tools- that would be amazing -

I can, of course, pull the assembly several other ways, but the way in the manual seems like the best - after all, it's the "factory way".

following up, I found a listing of needed tools for Porsche (and other) AC service here

http://www.mastercool.com/manual/form10.pdf

and that list confirms that the above tool is the right one - so I guess I answered part of my own question-

but has anyone else done this type of rebuild? any comments or hints? it ought to be easy, but who knows?

oh, I'm ordering the kit of O-rings from here polarbearinc.com

Edited by william_b_noble

Been there, done that. Was a waste of time and money. The compressor is old and has worn parts, not just seals. Rebuilt from my dealer was just as much as a quality rebuilt anywhere else and the dealer is not somebody you have never seen over the internet. I got lucky when I ordered the compressor from the dealer, a brand new one came. Same price.

I am real pickey about A/C. As in it better work, its been hot in Texas and everywhere else for that matter.

I took a deep breath and took it to my Indy and had the compressor, dryer, condensor, hoses, and expansion valve replaced. It works and it's all warrantied.

David

the AC compressor on my daughter's 944S seeps oil/freon from the center seam of the compressor - otherwise works fine - so, time to change the o-rings and the front seal. The process for changing the seal is described in the service manual, along with special tools to use. I have a reasonable home machine shop (4 ft metal lathe, horiz/vertical mill, etc) and can easily make most of the stuff, but there is a puller for removing the clutch assembly that threads into the hub of the pulley - I can't (easily) cut metric threads, so I either need to buy this tool, find out what the threads are so I can find something with the right threads, or borrow one.

I found this tool

http://www.handsontools.com/store-products...nt%3E_1066.html

but I have no way to find out if it right for my compressor (I have the 10P15E compressor) - does anyone know if this tool fits? or where to find a tool that fits, or even, what threads are required so I can cut them myself?? Or (joy of joy) anyone near los angeles that would care to lend me a set of the tools- that would be amazing -

I can, of course, pull the assembly several other ways, but the way in the manual seems like the best - after all, it's the "factory way".

following up, I found a listing of needed tools for Porsche (and other) AC service here

http://www.mastercool.com/manual/form10.pdf

and that list confirms that the above tool is the right one - so I guess I answered part of my own question-

but has anyone else done this type of rebuild? any comments or hints? it ought to be easy, but who knows?

oh, I'm ordering the kit of O-rings from here polarbearinc.com

• 1 month later...

following up -

original problem was caused when someone (before me) welded a repair on the threaded "ear" that supports the front of the compressor and hold it to the mounting bracket - the heat from the weld weakened an o-ring in the adapter plate that adapts the compressor body to the hose set - anyway, I decided to replace the front seal also - had some "challenges" doing that due to my own attempt at taking a short cut - broke the new seal, put the old one back - original leak fixed, but old seal leaks slowly - pulled AC pump back out and sent to PolarBear to install a new seal (they charge $80 to reseal a compressor - after the repair (my repair) compressor cooled well, so a rebuilt was not needed - no sign of wear or scoring inside either. We shall see how this turns out when compressor comes back from PolarBear - meanwhile, see separate thread about timing belt problem - that has me really baffled