Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID Retrofit lights in Stock Halogen housings.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

986jim

Here's my lights on the fence.

post-12603-1159142872_thumb.jpg

Huh, just like mine. Well there goes that. I have used D2S bulbs before in retrofits and they sucked big time. But considering how well they worked in my situation it's not surprising that these worked so well for you.

Something about the Porsche halogen housing really makes for a good cut off even with the power of HID.. Thats cool and good to know. I have a full OEM 4100k system sitting at my house I didn't even try, ohh well.

986jim

Here's my lights on the fence.

Why is it that the light looks like it is two rights or two lefts? Shouldn't the projections be reflections of each other - the high spot toward the middle, or toward the edges, on both sides?

(sorry about the picture - I'm getting error messages on the upload.)

post-12533-1159563771.jpg

Edited by Badcow!

I'm not sure if I understand you completely but the pattern should look like that.

post-12603-1159658149_thumb.jpg

I just bought one litronic light. Honestly I belive it just looks better. There is no huge difference in light output. Litronics are better, looks better but they are way overpriced.

I'm going for them since I've got one already.

I will post pics with one halogen xenon and one litronic.

Mine look bizarre on the wall like that too, but the halogens looked exactly the same. Thats the stock lighting output for the stock lamp. WHen you put HID in it, it's just over emphasised. When shining on the road however, my lighting is awesome, nice sharp line on the road with the angle up over to the side of the ditch/curb just like the oem halogens did, but nicer light with more power. No glare off to the sides or prolems with on-coming traffic at all. As a matter of fact after 3 months of them now, not a single high beem yet.

• 3 months later...

I just did this mod on a 03 986 and having an intermittent problem. When the lights are turned on it occasionally lights up the battery and oil pressure idiot light. The lights come on but the two idiot lights don't go out until the car is turned off. They don't come back on when it is re-started. Strangely enough, I had the exact same thing happen when I re-connected the battery after some work this weekend.

The first time it happened I was doing 75 on the interstate and the second time was in the garage from a cold start. When I stopped the car the first time I noticed that the spoiler had not retracted properly. It is apparently freaking the electrical system somehow. Could one of my ballasts be bad?

Warren

Postscript--The folks at CQLight are sending a resistor wire harness. They say it will stop the problem.

Edited by wpruitt

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to get this to work on a 2003 986 (see previous post--same thread). Even with the previously mentioned resistor wire harness, it flips on the battery light and causes the spoiler to deploy. Trying to figure out if anyone else has been successful or is it the equipment or my specific car. Any ideas appreciated.

Warren

• 3 months later...

i just finished installing my hid kit.

let me start out by saying i was happy this morning when i went on my first drive with my car completely de-ambered, but tonight when driving with the HID and the de-ambered, i am even happier.

so total damage for the month.

$82 for clear headlights (slightly burnt but now fixed)

$164 for 550 special edition tails

$114 shipped for the hid kit.

i am pretty impressed with this whole h7 upgrade route.

• 2 weeks later...
There are two types of headlights: first ones are halogens (Mercedes, Porsche non litronic, Hondas, Acuras and etc.), the second types are projectors (Porsche Litronics, Bimmers and etc.)

Both types has xenon lights. The first type uses D2R bulbs like that:

post-12603-1159114333.jpg

The second type uses D2S bulbs like that:

post-12603-1159114507.jpg

sorry to contracdict you but "both types" do not have xenon lights. Halogen bulbs produce light when current flows through a tungsten filament in a halogen gas atmosphere. the light in xenon lamps (HID) is produced by an electric arc (no physical filament) flowing through a xenon gas atmosphere.

two completely different ways of producing light.

Thanks Jim!.............WOW!............What detail!

This is just what I have been looking for.......I AM going to do this!

What bulbs are being used in the dim "parking light" switch setting?

John

Edited by 986fan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see these HIDs side-by-side against Litronics.

One of my headlight bulbs burned out :) so I have a perfect excuse to follow in your steps.

After having these in for this amount of time, have you experienced any problems?

Thanks

One of my headlight bulbs burned out :) so I have a perfect excuse to follow in your steps.

After having these in for this amount of time, have you experienced any problems?

Thanks

Allthough I have had mine installed for awhile now, it is very interesting just how much night driving I don't do!

Having said this they have endured about 6000kms of travel and when needed have never failed to light and provide excellant light that (I think rivals) Litronics for a fraction of the price. YMMV

I thought somebody might be interested. I hope I won't violate any rules by posting it here, if it does please delete it. It kind of belong to this thread. I will place it also in classified.

I've got for sale ballast and bulbs from nissan 350z. I will include retrofitted porsche covers. It is plug and play kit. Ask me questions.

Link: Xenon Kit - Ebay

post-12603-1186443411_thumb.jpg

post-12603-1186443468_thumb.jpg

Edited by niebyl2002

Thanks

No they have been perfectly fine. I have put say 5-6000k miles and lots of night time driving with no problems. In Canada we have day time running lights so when ever my car is moving the lights are on and they have been fine, so they are working regardless of what I do with the headlight switch. Even under those conditions of running all the time they have been fine.

Regards,

No they have been perfectly fine. I have put say 5-6000k miles and lots of night time driving with no problems. In Canada we have day time running lights so when ever my car is moving the lights are on and they have been fine, so they are working regardless of what I do with the headlight switch. Even under those conditions of running all the time they have been fine.

Regards,

Thanks!

I went ahead and did some more research and settled on a HID kit with lifetime warranty on the ballasts as well as the bulbs.

There is a sale going on for Apexcone HID kits.

http://www.xenonexpert.com/apexcone_sale.html

Thought I'd share :) less than $200 for the kit including shipping and the lifetime warranty.

Thank you everyone for your posts here. You saved me $1,100 by convincing me not to get the Litronics.

I'd still love to see pics of HIDs next to a set of Litronics though.