Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID Retrofit lights in Stock Halogen housings.

I'd still love to see pics of HIDs next to a set of Litronics though.

Although not quite the picture you asked for, the final post in this thread shows my lights halogen vs the after market kit:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...c=11244&hl=

In that post it also shows where I mounted the ballasts (inside the light enclosure with double sided tape to the cover).

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought and installed the same kit that Jim did (from CQ Light) as soon as I first read this thread.

I don't drive that much at night either but the effect is jaw-dropping.....I can't describe how white

the light is! It is also very well defined. I am VERY satisfied!

What I ended up doing was to do the DRL hack, but instead of just jumping between the fuses, I

ran a pair of wires from the fuse clips to a switch (Radio Shack #275-730) that I mounted under

the dash at the extreme forward edge.....tight to the LH side of the console. This switch is pretty

much invisible if you aren't looking for it but it matches the dash design well anyway. The switch

is rated at 25 amp (plenty) and has a nicely finished and easy to mount bracket - very clean.

Now I have high-tech DRL's that look like melting light blue ice cubes that I can turn on or off at

will.......plus......the world's best working headlamps!

• 1 month later...

Thanks! hope u got that cigg lighter all figured out.

Looks cool! Now u need to upgrade your fog lights

Thanks, yours looks good too. Fogies can stay the way they are as they don't get used much.

Edited by juniinc

As you all know I have had my HID upgrade for quite awhile, but i can not seem to get them adjusted correctly.

Any tips on aiming the headlights??

Gary

Thanks! hope u got that cigg lighter all figures out.

Thanks, yours looks good too. Fogies can stay the way they are as they don't get used much.

How did you do your tail lights?

As you all know I have had my HID upgrade for quite awhile, but i can not seem to get them adjusted correctly.

Gary

These are oem taillights that have been painted with an opac black paint, and then clear coated.

The lights are still visible and relativity bright.

Gary

Good job!

These are oem taillights that have been painted with an opac black paint, and then clear coated.

The lights are still visible and relativity bright.

Gary

I installed the kit from CQ Light just like 986JIM that started this thread. Good light, not too difficlut to do.

But the light pattern leaves something to be desired. My light pattern has "cat ears" to the right of each beam like in niebyl2002 's picutres, but they are closer together and higher. Adjusting light height is easy, BUT PORSCHE'S GOT TO BE KIDDING ABOUT THOSE LATERAL ADJUSTMENT SCREWS. I wound them in and out for several turns in each direction while aiming them at a fence, and they move the beam UP & DOWN only. Not a pinch to the right or left.

I'm wondering what a SHIM washer between the bulb seat and the lamp housing would do.....This shim would pull the bulbs rearward a bit out of that little canister that it is inserted into, and would affect the light pattern for sure. But how??? I'm tempted to carefully make a single shim perhaps of some easy material like cardboard just to experiment.

Any experience or thoughts on this idea.

Bob

I installed the kit from CQ Light just like 986JIM that started this thread. Good light, not too difficlut to do.

But the light pattern leaves something to be desired. My light pattern has "cat ears" to the right of each beam like in niebyl2002 's picutres, but they are closer together and higher. Adjusting light height is easy, BUT PORSCHE'S GOT TO BE KIDDING ABOUT THOSE LATERAL ADJUSTMENT SCREWS. I wound them in and out for several turns in each direction while aiming them at a fence, and they move the beam UP & DOWN only. Not a pinch to the right or left.

I'm wondering what a SHIM washer between the bulb seat and the lamp housing would do.....This shim would pull the bulbs rearward a bit out of that little canister that it is inserted into, and would affect the light pattern for sure. But how??? I'm tempted to carefully make a single shim perhaps of some easy material like cardboard just to experiment.

Any experience or thoughts on this idea.

Bob

Hmmm, no re-alignment necessary when I installed my kit from CQ. This was into a 987, the original light cutoff and the new HID pattern location did not change at all. Did you make sure the bulb was positioned correctly?

What year of Boxster (style of lights)?

• 3 weeks later...
OK, so looked at real litronic lights and couldn't swallow the $1300. I have had HID retrofits in a lot of my cars before but have had mixed results with them. I generally buy a projector housing for the car then put hid in that and even then they are not that great.

I bought this kit from CQ Light:

H7, 5000k http://www.cqlight.ca/index.php?cPath=32_45

They are plug and play lights ment for a H7 halogen headlight. The install was really easy. As a matter of fact the easiest I have done in any car. The headlights pop out with the tool in your bag in the spare tire in about 30 seconds then plug in the HID light, zip tie the ballast in the headlight hole to something so it doesn't flop around then re-install the headlamps. You will need to drill a hole in the plastic cover on the back of the headlamps for the hid wiring to go through. Two wires for the bulb it's self and power and ground that plugs into the stock wiring harness. No cutting or soldering involved. The kit comes with power leads with spade connectors on it already that just slip into the stock bulb socket no probs.

The stock halogen lights have the european code light cut off like this. ____/ if you have ever driven close to a wall you will notice it. I took before and after pics. The cut off was exactly the same with no glare or light wandering away. The cut off on the stock lights is really good and cuts the hid off just like the stock bulb so you only get light were the factory light intends it to be unlike most cars. Generally hid retrofits in stock housings have light all over the place which was the case for me a few times. This is NOT the case with Porsche lights, lucky us.

Just incase you wondered about HID retrofits, you can now see they are just as good as stock. You get the light of HID without 1300 bux. Remember real litronic are better, self leveling etc. so they are worth the money. For $200 you get more light output than stock, the nice HID color, and no downside typical with HID retrofits.

I think that Porsche did a really good job on the stock headlights as they have good cut off from the factory. With a lot more light output from HID lights, they still control the light very well and get it right on the road with no glare.

Bottom line, really good for the cost, and really look nice too.

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the ignorance, but do you have any pics of where you drilled the hole to run the wires through...I am planning on doing the mod this weekend, but I am not really a skilled DIYer.

Thanks,

Gustavo

Edited by gandrade1

OK, so looked at real litronic lights and couldn't swallow the $1300. I have had HID retrofits in a lot of my cars before but have had mixed results with them. I generally buy a projector housing for the car then put hid in that and even then they are not that great.

They are plug and play lights ment for a H7 halogen headlight. The install was really easy. As a matter of fact the easiest I have done in any car. The headlights pop out with the tool in your bag in the spare tire in about 30 seconds then plug in the HID light, zip tie the ballast in the headlight hole to something so it doesn't flop around then re-install the headlamps. You will need to drill a hole in the plastic cover on the back of the headlamps for the hid wiring to go through. Two wires for the bulb it's self and power and ground that plugs into the stock wiring harness. No cutting or soldering involved. The kit comes with power leads with spade connectors on it already that just slip into the stock bulb socket no probs.

The stock halogen lights have the european code light cut off like this. ____/ if you have ever driven close to a wall you will notice it. I took before and after pics. The cut off was exactly the same with no glare or light wandering away. The cut off on the stock lights is really good and cuts the hid off just like the stock bulb so you only get light were the factory light intends it to be unlike most cars. Generally hid retrofits in stock housings have light all over the place which was the case for me a few times. This is NOT the case with Porsche lights, lucky us.

Just incase you wondered about HID retrofits, you can now see they are just as good as stock. You get the light of HID without 1300 bux. Remember real litronic are better, self leveling etc. so they are worth the money. For $200 you get more light output than stock, the nice HID color, and no downside typical with HID retrofits.

I think that Porsche did a really good job on the stock headlights as they have good cut off from the factory. With a lot more light output from HID lights, they still control the light very well and get it right on the road with no glare.

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the ignorance, but do you have any pics of where you drilled the hole to run the wires through...I am planning on doing the mod this weekend, but I am not really a skilled DIYer.

Thanks,

Gustavo

Anyone?

I was watching that topic for some time. I even add my $0.02, so I hope I won't upset a lot of people here with my comment.

How come you like those aftermarket kits. First of all you have to drill holes to make it work or use zip ties. So right now your lights are attached to body with cable. Aftermarket bulbs got a lot of glare, different color and are much dimmer than stock ones(if above 5000K).

I'm not saying that my solution (look at the beginning of the thread) is perfect. After this mode I change my lights to litronics like a lot of people. But if you are handy just a little bit you can get original ballast and bulbs really cheap on ebay (use nissan, bimmer, audi, etc.). Then spend 2 hours modifying rear cover and DONE. Sealed, almost like litronics headlight - no cables, no ties, duct tape or anything else.

I was watching that topic for some time. I even add my $0.02, so I hope I won't upset a lot of people here with my comment.

How come you like those aftermarket kits. First of all you have to drill holes to make it work or use zip ties. So right now your lights are attached to body with cable. Aftermarket bulbs got a lot of glare, different color and are much dimmer than stock ones(if above 5000K).

I'm not saying that my solution (look at the beginning of the thread) is perfect. After this mode I change my lights to litronics like a lot of people. But if you are handy just a little bit you can get original ballast and bulbs really cheap on ebay (use nissan, bimmer, audi, etc.). Then spend 2 hours modifying rear cover and DONE. Sealed, almost like litronics headlight - no cables, no ties, duct tape or anything else.

First, for GANDRADE1, it's logical. You need a 1" hole for the big rubber grommet. And I'd advise a little silicone sealant for where the cable passes through. The ballast, with the other electronic dohicky electrical taped to it's back, can be screwed to the back of the removable cover. A few cable ties and you're in. Toughest part is getting the lamp units back in!! Don't plan on finishing too quick unless you have a fair amounts of tools such as files, dremel, assortment of screws and drills.

For niebyl2002, there's really not much diff between your solution and the method that you are putting down. You have to cut a MUCH larger hole, all of your wiring is on the inside rather than the outside. If the ballast is mounted on the plastic cover, and cables are tied down neatly, there's no need to mount anything on the car body. Yours looks cleaner, mine's $170 and looks/works really good. 5000K bulbs are perfect.

Bob

First, for GANDRADE1, it's logical. You need a 1" hole for the big rubber grommet. And I'd advise a little silicone sealant for where the cable passes through. The ballast, with the other electronic dohicky electrical taped to it's back, can be screwed to the back of the removable cover. A few cable ties and you're in. Toughest part is getting the lamp units back in!! Don't plan on finishing too quick unless you have a fair amounts of tools such as files, dremel, assortment of screws and drills.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback...I finally ordered the kit from CQ and am planning to install it next weekend.

I do have a dremel and a decent amount of drills, etc. The 'bottleneck' for me resides on the skills side... :rolleyes:

That said, do you have any detailled pictures of the install, covering specifically where the wires should be connected etc. I am thinking about securing the ballast with an industrial strength velcro to the back of the plastic cover rather than drilling. Additionally, do you recommend any particular sillicone sealant? Can I get it at a hardware store?

Sorry for the many questions, but any help is greatly appreciated....

Gus

:renntech:

Edited by gandrade1

Here are some pics. Notes for each pics are under.

phid01.jpg

Halogen lights as stock from Porsche.

phid02.jpg

HID retro fit installed. You can see the cut off is exactly the same on the wall. The car is in a slightly different spot here and it's much darker ouside in this pic making the lights look a lot brigher. More or less the light is exactly the same and in the exact same position.

phid03.jpg

Halogen light stock.

phid04.jpg

HID Retrofit with fog on to see difference.

phid05.jpg

Stock H7 vs. HID H7. You can see the arc point is in the exact same spot. Might be hard as I'm holding the bulbs but they were identical.

phid06.jpg

Headlights outta the car. 30 seconds a side really.

phid07.jpg

Stock bulb out. Got kinda hot there wow. HID are cooler running so thats good. The top is the low beem. The HID retrofit goes in like stock. Just run the wires out the plastic cover, drill a hole.

phid08.jpg

On the front of my house. Same as stock cut off.

phid09.jpg

HID on the road through the windshield at eye level.

phid10.jpg

HID on the road over the windshield.

phid11.jpg

Color of HID 5000k retrofits.

phid12.jpg

Color of stock halogens.

Just got my 6000k hid installed by a local xenon dealer this afternoon for $235(parts & labor). Took about 1 hour. The installer did not take out the whole headlight piece from the front trunk, he jacked up frontside, removed the panel in the wheel section and worked from the backside of the headlight without removing the whole piece. I guess that also works. I am very happy with the result, the light output on this aftermarket hid maybe even better then the original factory xenon I have in my 06 cayenne. (Sorry, I forgot to mention, the newly installed xenon is on the '03 boxster). PROBLEM: I realized there is some yellowish light in my 6000k hid when I see the car from the front with engine running, but when I turned off the engine, the hid light turned off as well and left with the weak yellowish light, is this normal??? I saw the installer took off the halogen low beam bulbs which I have them in them in the box. What is that yellowish light?? Cant be the parking light? Cant be the signal light? I am going back to the installer on monday, please help, I dont want to sound stupid. :huh:

Please dont sound stupid ;)

GO visit your Boxster and click your headlights once to the right. Now go look at the headlights. Those are your "city lights" or as we call them here "parking lights" in some countries they drive in the well lit cities with these lights on and not their full beam headlights. In the US we park with them on. While your outside playing with your head lights turn them off again and then turn the dial to the left one click lights up the right side "parking lights" for the rest of the world and the second click to the left lights up your drivers side "parking lights" these are used for the times you need to park on a street at night. You would turn on the light on the traffic side of the car.

So in otherwords the yellowish light you see is another bulb in your housing. It can be changed out to a xenon matching bulb. I think its number is 5w5 but please check on that. Its a very easy swap. It changes just like the rest of the bulbs in the housing.

Good luck and please ask any further questions.