Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID Retrofit lights in Stock Halogen housings.

Please dont sound stupid ;)

GO visit your Boxster and click your headlights once to the right. Now go look at the headlights. Those are your "city lights" or as we call them here "parking lights" in some countries they drive in the well lit cities with these lights on and not their full beam headlights. In the US we park with them on. While your outside playing with your head lights turn them off again and then turn the dial to the left one click lights up the right side "parking lights" for the rest of the world and the second click to the left lights up your drivers side "parking lights" these are used for the times you need to park on a street at night. You would turn on the light on the traffic side of the car.

So in otherwords the yellowish light you see is another bulb in your housing. It can be changed out to a xenon matching bulb. I think its number is 5w5 but please check on that. Its a very easy swap. It changes just like the rest of the bulbs in the housing.

Good luck and please ask any further questions.

also started the same thread in the babblers, these are 2 pics when the light switch are both turned to the far right(low beam), 1 is with engine running, u can see the blue hid with some yellowish light. the other pic is with engine off, the hid blue light went off, but the yellowish light still remain on(the light switch was untouched, in the far right-low beam). i was told the hid light should remain on with or without engine running when the light switch is in the low beam position.

post-15544-1196048267_thumb.jpg

post-15544-1196048286_thumb.jpg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was told the hid light should remain on with or without engine running when the light switch is in the low beam position.

Nope. The HID beam doesn't stay on when the car is off. Not on the aftermarketkit ,not on the OEM litronics.

Edited by blinkwatt

When I installed my HID kit I did not have to drill any holes, use zip ties or anything else, it was very simple plug and play. I used the holes that where already in the car.

I'll get a few pictures taken today and post them here.

Gary

Gary did you ever get to taking any pics?

Did you use the litronic panel cover that has a small rectangular gap that the OEM ballast runs it connection through?

First, for GANDRADE1, it's logical. You need a 1" hole for the big rubber grommet. And I'd advise a little silicone sealant for where the cable passes through. The ballast, with the other electronic dohicky electrical taped to it's back, can be screwed to the back of the removable cover. A few cable ties and you're in. Toughest part is getting the lamp units back in!! Don't plan on finishing too quick unless you have a fair amounts of tools such as files, dremel, assortment of screws and drills.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback...I finally ordered the kit from CQ and am planning to install it next weekend.

I do have a dremel and a decent amount of drills, etc. The 'bottleneck' for me resides on the skills side... :rolleyes:

That said, do you have any detailled pictures of the install, covering specifically where the wires should be connected etc. I am thinking about securing the ballast with an industrial strength velcro to the back of the plastic cover rather than drilling. Additionally, do you recommend any particular sillicone sealant? Can I get it at a hardware store?

Sorry for the many questions, but any help is greatly appreciated....

Gus

:renntech:

GANDRADE! ... No pics available. The instructions were adequate for the basic wiring and interconnection of components. Don't recommend the velcro or other adhesive product. Velcro is for removable items...this doesn't need to be. and yo dont 'want some hidden adhesive product failing where you can't see it and stuff bouncing around. DON'T be rushed. Lay it out and think it out...you'll do fine. The screws are the best route as a self tapping screw will be firm in the plastic. You have to cut a 1" hole anyway, so what's a few screw holes. The biggest pain is putting those darn lights back into your fenders!!!!!

As for silicone, don't be fussy....any tube of silicone at the hardware store will do.

Bob

Please dont sound stupid ;)

GO visit your Boxster and click your headlights once to the right. Now go look at the headlights. Those are your "city lights" or as we call them here "parking lights" in some countries they drive in the well lit cities with these lights on and not their full beam headlights. In the US we park with them on. While your outside playing with your head lights turn them off again and then turn the dial to the left one click lights up the right side "parking lights" for the rest of the world and the second click to the left lights up your drivers side "parking lights" these are used for the times you need to park on a street at night. You would turn on the light on the traffic side of the car.

So in otherwords the yellowish light you see is another bulb in your housing. It can be changed out to a xenon matching bulb. I think its number is 5w5 but please check on that. Its a very easy swap. It changes just like the rest of the bulbs in the housing.

Good luck and please ask any further questions.

hi gary,

u r right! i just did a test on my cayenne. when engine is turned on, xenon low beam & yellow parking light both went on. engine turned off, xenon went off but yellow park light remained on. cayenne has 3 separate lights, but boxster has bulbs behind that round glass cover, cant really tell how many bulbs are behind it. going back to the shop tomorrow, change to a 5000k hid(6000 is just a bit too blue) will also replace a white parking bulb so it wont look so weird like a christmas tree(red car with blue & yellow light). many thanks to you all.

also started the same thread in the babblers, these are 2 pics when the light switch are both turned to the far right(low beam), 1 is with engine running, u can see the blue hid with some yellowish light. the other pic is with engine off, the hid blue light went off, but the yellowish light still remain on(the light switch was untouched, in the far right-low beam). i was told the hid light should remain on with or without engine running when the light switch is in the low beam position.

It's funny. I was thinking about coming back to this thread for some updates. One of the things that pissed me off was those city lights looking orange like that in with the HID. SO I fixed it!!!

The orange in with the HID lights as pictured above is from that small peanut city light. It's on all the time with the car. They are a standard 194 bulb. I searched around ebay for LED 194 lights and found lots of guys selling these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-HID-WHITE...sspagenameZWDVW

I poped these in and that yellow light was completely gone as the white from the LED matched the HID light almost perfectly. SO when I park and pull the ebrake handle and it's only the LED on the headlight don't look orange anymore either they have a nice light cool white hue to them which looks way better.

post-9757-1196426796.jpg

post-9757-1196426853.jpg

I installed the kit from CQ Light. Nice light. Work just fine............except...........when I turn on my headlights with the engine running my oil pressure and battery idiot light light up (sometimes just the oil pressure light), and I have to stop and restart the car. If I turn on the headlights before starting the car, all works as it should.

I really don't think that this EVER happened before doing the HID mod. Just an annoyance. I'm sure that turning on my headlights is not droppong my oil pressure <_< . But I dont dare drive around with that light on. Mnnn. I wonder if it will come on if I really DO loose oil pressure.

Any toughts on this weird problem????

Bob

ps I like that LED parking light hack just posted. That original bulb sure is yellow.

I'm gonna bet that the battery in your car is going dead. When the HID ignites it uses about 30amp for a few seconds to spark the bulb. In that short time frame there is a huge draw on the battery, so if your battery is dead its gonna cause some lights to come on just the same as if the car had stalled.

Take your battery into a car repair place and have it load tested. I'm willing to bet it's on it's way out.

I'm gonna bet that the battery in your car is going dead. When the HID ignites it uses about 30amp for a few seconds to spark the bulb. In that short time frame there is a huge draw on the battery, so if your battery is dead its gonna cause some lights to come on just the same as if the car had stalled.

Take your battery into a car repair place and have it load tested. I'm willing to bet it's on it's way out.

Well Jim....that's a good theory. But the battery is about a year old. It's still could be weak...perhaps the charging system is faltering....

But remember that it does this at highway speeds when the alternator is pumping out amps, so I'm not sure. Winter is coming and parhaps I'll take your advice about testing it, so I'll know what's going on for spring.

Thanks.

Well Jim....that's a good theory. But the battery is about a year old. It's still could be weak...perhaps the charging system is faltering....

But remember that it does this at highway speeds when the alternator is pumping out amps, so I'm not sure. Winter is coming and parhaps I'll take your advice about testing it, so I'll know what's going on for spring.

Thanks.

If it's happening while driving then its not the battery it's more likely the alt or the regulator controlling the alt. There will be a shop somewhere near where you live that can re-build an alternator. Check around for general machine shops and / or call the V8 performance & machine shops that build performance V8 motors they will know for sure. A lot of V8 guys like to keep all the original equip so they would never buy a new alternator... These guys have sources to rebuild and repair just about anything automotive. I know the guys at my local machine shop quite well they are a wealth of info.

When I built the motor in my talon I had them bore the block for me and help me set the ring gaps and stuff. They thought the 4 cyl stuff was cool but never tried it. Once I had it runnin at about 26psi of boost it made 424.6whp and I went back and took buddy for a ride, he thought it was pretty cool. It didn't really impress him cause they make 800hp motors but he still was impressed for a 4 cyl. Either way they were cool with helping me out.

I installed the kit from CQ Light. Nice light. Work just fine............except...........when I turn on my headlights with the engine running my oil pressure and battery idiot light light up (sometimes just the oil pressure light), and I have to stop and restart the car. If I turn on the headlights before starting the car, all works as it should.

I really don't think that this EVER happened before doing the HID mod. Just an annoyance. I'm sure that turning on my headlights is not droppong my oil pressure <_< . But I dont dare drive around with that light on. Mnnn. I wonder if it will come on if I really DO loose oil pressure.

Any toughts on this weird problem????

Bob

ps I like that LED parking light hack just posted. That original bulb sure is yellow.

Where did you take the power for the lights from?

Did you just connect it to the stock wiring?

This sounds like it could be a poor ground.

BTW, the type of Boxster would be helpful too...

Edited by Westcoaster

Direct connection to the original headlight harness. This is a 2001 986 (non-S) with stock headlights. If gound was faulty, I doubt that headlights lights would work perfectly??????????

Thanks, Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm seriously thinking of doing this DYI, but I have a few questions:

1. I also have the '01 MY base Box, and wonder if the idiot light problems that I've seen in more than one post may be a model-year issue?

2. What about the long term impact on the electrical system. I always get a little antsy with retrofits, as you have to wonder if the engineering is as thorough as the car manufacturer normally does or requires from his suppliers.

3. It sounds like most people do the low beams. Has anyone done the highs too?

4. Most important, are the lights really that much better? I have to dodge deer on the way to work, and it's getting a little old not seeing them at the side of the road waiting to jump in front of my car.

2. What about the long term impact on the electrical system. I always get a little antsy with retrofits, as you have to wonder if the engineering is as thorough as the car manufacturer normally does or requires from his suppliers.

There shouldn't be any long term issues. My xenon conversion runs at 35w, the stock halogens ran at 55w.

4. Most important, are the lights really that much better? I have to dodge deer on the way to work, and it's getting a little old not seeing them at the side of the road waiting to jump in front of my car.

YES! They do help visibility. Buy a genuine OEM ballast Nissan,Audi,Porsche or whoever on eBay and do a kit that way. Mine is from a 350z set up and I LOVE IT! I drive fast and I need all the visibility I can get.

clickman ----- You'll be impressed with the amount of light and the white color which also helps the seeing. Doing the highs would not be all that much more work, but the light pattern may be questionable as we don't seem to have feedback on that. The fogs, lows and highs all use the same stock halogen bulbs.

But consider that highs are often used to flash signals and for very brief periods before having to dim lights again. The flashing of HIDs is not a particularily good idea from a wear and tear standpoint. Lows stay on when highs are used, so they don't flash on and off. Some (other model) cars with projector HID headlamps use a shield that just limits the lit area rather than having seperate highs and lose so intermitent use does not matter.

Bob

Direct connection to the original headlight harness. This is a 2001 986 (non-S) with stock headlights. If gound was faulty, I doubt that headlights lights would work perfectly??????????

Thanks, Bob

The question about the ground was to indicate that you should ensure that your new connections are all solid, ie. have a good ground. In fact what I would suggest is that you try both of the following as a process of elimination:

1) re-install the stock bulbs and see if the problem persists (if it doesn't it would obviously be what was added...)

2) try a temporary fused line directly from the battery to power the ballasts (if you have don't see a problem, again it is what has been added).

Edited by Westcoaster

Thanks, Bob

The question about the ground was to indicate that you should ensure that your new connections are all solid, ie. have a good ground. In fact what I would suggest is that you try both of the following as a process of elimination:

1) re-install the stock bulbs and see if the problem persists (if it doesn't it would obviously be what was added...)

2) try a temporary fused line directly from the battery to power the ballasts (if you have don't see a problem, again it is what has been added).

Your suggestion is a bit of work, but I think it's worth trying. And rechecking all connections in the process. The Box is in moth balls for winter, so I printed your sugs and will try in Spring. I was hoping I'd never have to pull those light units out again. No fun reinstalling!!!

Thanks, Bob

Edited by itzbob46

Just checked out the CQLight website that was recommended at the start of this thread.

It says: "Our HID-Xenon Conversion Kit are for off-road driving in the United states only, we do not held any responsibilities if its used on daily driving."

What's that all about?

Norm

01 Boxster, based, 5 spd

Just checked out the CQLight website that was recommended at the start of this thread.

It says: "Our HID-Xenon Conversion Kit are for off-road driving in the United states only, we do not held any responsibilities if its used on daily driving."

What's that all about?

Norm

01 Boxster, based, 5 spd

US Lawyers.

Basically the lights have probably not met Department of Transportation testing.

There are a large number of parts that are sold as "off road use only" that are used on a daily basis.

I will chime in on this topic since I've driven my 986 w/ a Xenon retrofit for awhile now.

Yes,visibility is GREATLY increased.

The cut off isn't great for installing xenons in standard h7 assemblies. I notice that the passenger side light pattern shoots slightly upwards and every once and awhile I can see inside the car in front of me at stop lights. :P The Litronics have a projector that helps the xenon light prevent such a thing from happening.

All-in-all I LOVE the difference. I recommend them since the lowest I've seen LItronics for is $1.7k. $100-150 for a retrofit kit are a steal compared to Litronics.

I love my retrofit kit from vertexauto. The fit and finish was great and even provided a factory light back plate which was predrilled. the difference is phenomenal. My previous car was a 04 STI so I am used to the HIDs, I live in Seattle and for winter months like now where it is dark when you go to work and dark when you come home, the difference is very significant.

let me know if anyone has any questions about the vertex kit.

honda_nos

I will chime in on this topic since I've driven my 986 w/ a Xenon retrofit for awhile now.

Yes,visibility is GREATLY increased.

The cut off isn't great for installing xenons in standard h7 assemblies. I notice that the passenger side light pattern shoots slightly upwards and every once and awhile I can see inside the car in front of me at stop lights. :P The Litronics have a projector that helps the xenon light prevent such a thing from happening.

All-in-all I LOVE the difference. I recommend them since the lowest I've seen LItronics for is $1.7k. $100-150 for a retrofit kit are a steal compared to Litronics.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an '03 996 targa and cannot for the life of me figure out how to secure the bulb into the socket. My H7 blub fits into a holder that friction and turn fits into the headlight. No spring. I have a kit from apexcone and no matter how I attempt there doesn't seem to be a way to securely seat the bulb.The kit has a plastic spacer to fit over the back of the HID bulb but it still doesn't secure into the old halogen space. Also my kit has a blue and a black wire with spade connectors. My car has a brown and yellow wires into the socket for the H7 halogen bulb. Brown and black are negative? Blue and yellow positive? Any ideas?

Tim in MT

2003 996 targa

"friction and turn fits into the headlight"....??? Can you explain this a little further. Can't get a mental pic of this. Re wire colors, I have some Porsche Box wiring diagrams and traced the grounds color since I had the same problem as you are facing. I think that your color guess is right, but on the other hand, this if this is an error, it could be my idiot light gproblem!

My stock H7's fit into a socket that slides into the headlight assembly and turns to lock (three tabs that slide into corresponding grooves on the assembly) tightly to the assembly. The stock connector has two wires (yellow and brown) going to it.I can't figure out how to get the HID bulb to snug up. Nothing seems to fit.

TIm - Unequipped for DIY mods