Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gang

Im having the dreaded flimsy weak bushings on the Horn grounding plate. My problem is after removing the airbag and plate assay. from the steering wheel, there is a broken wire. The horn is a basic two wire concept, the One wire that attaches to the blade contact of the horn plate is OK. There is another with I noticed that did not go into any thing and was cut clean, Its brown with an orange stripe coming from the far end of the connector main connector plug coming thru the steering wheel.

Need help

Dennis

• Moderators

A tip as an extra wire that is cut and goes to nothing. It is red with a yellow stripe. No clue why there is that wire, because a manual transmission does not have it.

You can see the cut wire in the left of the picture, pointing in the direction of the blue connector.

post-4-1154403134_thumb.jpg

A tip as an extra wire that is cut and goes to nothing. It is red with a yellow stripe. No clue why there is that wire, because a manual transmission does not have it.

You can see the cut wire in the left of the picture, pointing in the direction of the blue connector.

TP,

Thanks, since I have a Tip car, that looks about right. Im just not used to seeing cut wire that do not go to any thing.

Thanks

Dennis

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

The horn issue is still a problem, After replacing the Horn contact plate, I seem to still have an intermitant horn operation. While the horn no longer honks when I stop, now it no longer honks at all.

Im going to replace the relay first, if that doesnt solve the problem , Im going to have to remove the wheel and start ringing out the wiring. Could some one tell me how to gain access to the relay panel under the drivers foot well, need to know how this carpeted panel is held on.

D Man

• Admin
The horn issue is still a problem, After replacing the Horn contact plate, I seem to still have an intermitant horn operation. While the horn no longer honks when I stop, now it no longer honks at all.

Im going to replace the relay first, if that doesnt solve the problem , Im going to have to remove the wheel and start ringing out the wiring. Could some one tell me how to gain access to the relay panel under the drivers foot well, need to know how this carpeted panel is held on.

D Man

I doubt it is the relay or wiring. I would put my money on one or both horns being bad.

They are not very good horns and many folks have replaced them.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=37552

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5042

• 3 weeks later...

Horn Issue solved!!!!!

Loren was right again, both horns were bad. Replaced both Hi and Low tone horns with OEM version. Works great now and In the process I actually learned to remove to my bumper and found where the horns actually mount there on the right side. Since the bumper was removed anyway I took the opportunity to clean the radiators in the process, took out about a pound of trash from behind the condensers.

Thanks, this board for the wealth of knowledge to porsche owners.

D_Man

:drive: