Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

After market spoilers

Before I add a wing or aftermarket spoiler I would need some assurance that it was designed and engineered for my car

then the best option would be one of the aerokit wings then as they are designed by porsche for the car?

only if coupled with the new front end too, the aerokit addresses aerodynamics of the whole car, adding only half of it will be potentially dangerous, the aerokit is supposed to work as advertised, it's just expensive

I just want to chip in and support the comment by binaryc. I love the way some of you guys suggest aerodynamics don't play a part until over 150mph. My microlight is 450kg, has a wing area similar to the surface area of my Boxster and has a takeoff airspeed of 55mph...

So I heed that the Boxster has a spoiler (rather than a aerofoil) but I like the look of the 'wing' on a Boxster. Why not fabricate a strip of clear perspex to convert the wing to a spoiler?

Before I add a wing or aftermarket spoiler I would need some assurance that it was designed and engineered for my car

then the best option would be one of the aerokit wings then as they are designed by porsche for the car?

only if coupled with the new front end too, the aerokit addresses aerodynamics of the whole car, adding only half of it will be potentially dangerous, the aerokit is supposed to work as advertised, it's just expensive

Notice that Porsche warns not to use the Aerokit rear wing without changing the front as well. The front and rear aero pieces are designed to work together to rebalance the air flow over and under the car.

I just want to chip in and support the comment by binaryc. I love the way some of you guys suggest aerodynamics don't play a part until over 150mph. My microlight is 450kg, has a wing area similar to the surface area of my Boxster and has a takeoff airspeed of 55mph...

So I heed that the Boxster has a spoiler (rather than a aerofoil) but I like the look of the 'wing' on a Boxster. Why not fabricate a strip of clear perspex to convert the wing to a spoiler?

Most definitely illustrates the point. :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

Dug up this old thread after seeing a 987 with an aerokit yesterday. It looked great, like this:

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/info_3194.html

I think this, or the cayman style lip updates the look of the 986 in a nice understated way - What

Porsche has actually done themselves.

The aero discussion in this thread is interesting however and I would want to retain a solid block pop-up spoiler.

Does anyone know if a replacement spoiler exists, like the stock unit (solid block inside) with a lip on the end to look like the cayman?

Cheers

Dug up this old thread after seeing a 987 with an aerokit yesterday. It looked great, like this:

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/info_3194.html

I think this, or the cayman style lip updates the look of the 986 in a nice understated way - What

Porsche has actually done themselves.

The aero discussion in this thread is interesting however and I would want to retain a solid block pop-up spoiler.

Does anyone know if a replacement spoiler exists, like the stock unit (solid block inside) with a lip on the end to look like the cayman?

Cheers

I've only seen one and it seems to be made of unobtainium. It's made by Weltmeister and I've attached a small photo. I've never been able to find this for sale in the US or listed by any Weltmeister distributors. It doesn't exactly have the Cayman kind of lip, but it does retain the solid spoiler setup.

Kirk

post-15266-1222104441.jpg

If the stock spoiler does nothing at low speeds, then why did Porsche design it to retract, instead of simply having a fixed spoiler? My assumption was that the aerodynamic profile changes at different speeds, and that it's less drag/more fuel efficient to have the spoiler retracted at low speeds. And obviously did something to the air flow at higher speeds to improve stability.

Is there any literature anywhere that explains the aerodynamics of this car? I've always assumed the underbody paneling contributed significantly enough to the downforce that wings weren't needed.

Also, what's with this 157mph stuff? My 2004 Boxster S has a listed top speed of 165mph :P I haven't yet had it over 100mph (can't afford that scale of a ticket!), but I'd like to do a HDPE at VIR soon, which I might be able to get better than 140mph.

Edited by grover

First just want to say thank you to the aerodynamics guys. I stumbled onto this post looking to buy the Cayman look rear spoiler. You guys changed my mind.

I now remember reading about this lift problem on the 1999 onwards Audi TT, wich has a similar bodyshape to the Boxster. They actually recalled alot of TT's here in europe and retrofitted small spoilers. The reason was that a significant number of TT's achieved lift-off.

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_tt

Early TT models gained press coverage for a series of high-speed accidents in Europe. Reported crashes and related fatalities occurred at speeds in excess of 110 mph (180 km/h) during abrupt lane changes or sharp turns. Both the coupe and roadster models were recalled in late 1999/early 2000 to improve predictability of the car's handling at very high-speeds. Audi's Electronic Stability Programme, and rear spoiler were added, along with suspension modifications. All changes were subsequently incorporated into future versions of the car

I checked my manual, And it states that if the spoiler malfunction light is on, then it will have to be taken into consideration, and adjust speed accordingly.

As I live 6 hours drive away from the nearest Autobahn with no speed limit, where one can coast along at 125 mph + for hour after hour, I will happily keep my stock spoiler in place. Even if it is ugly IMO.

• 1 month later...

newer member here, wanted to ask an aero question.

when im overtaking a car on the highway in the 85-90mph zone, the car feels, i hate to use the word "unstable", but it seems "squirrely"

Its a 2000 Boxster 2.7L with no body kit mods or anything like that, and it has the stock retractable spoiler. I have 17" rims (8" wide i believe) and just recently added front and rear strut tower braces.

is there anything i can do to improve the stability at higher speeds? for example, it was pretty windy here in the great city of San Antonio, Texas!!! and i hit the 85mph mark on the highway. right away, i could feel the wind moving my car slightly in the lane... i want to be more confident doing 85mph, and would think the boxster would be very stable and be able to maintain a fairly straight line in windy high-speed conditions.

thoughts?

newer member here, wanted to ask an aero question.

when im overtaking a car on the highway in the 85-90mph zone, the car feels, i hate to use the word "unstable", but it seems "squirrely"

Its a 2000 Boxster 2.7L with no body kit mods or anything like that, and it has the stock retractable spoiler. I have 17" rims (8" wide i believe) and just recently added front and rear strut tower braces.

is there anything i can do to improve the stability at higher speeds? for example, it was pretty windy here in the great city of San Antonio, Texas!!! and i hit the 85mph mark on the highway. right away, i could feel the wind moving my car slightly in the lane... i want to be more confident doing 85mph, and would think the boxster would be very stable and be able to maintain a fairly straight line in windy high-speed conditions.

thoughts?

Squirrely at 85 is not good. 1st make sure that your spoiler is rising at 75mph. 2nd make sure all your underbody panels are in place. My car has stock aero and is rock solid at 120mph+ at California Speedway. Yours should be too. Next check your alignment and tire balance. Good luck.