Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Flat tire = new tire

I've had my 2000 S since May (brand new P-zero's) and picked up 2 nails in the rear tire the other day. I never ran it flat, it had a slow leak I noticed quickly. Since I haven't had a high performance car with high performance tires until the boxster, I was quite suprised I had to get a new tire. If I'd had more miles on the tires I would have needed 2 new tires just to keep the balance. In the last 20 years, I've had only 2 flats on any car I've owned and they were plugged and off I went. Everything was fine.

My common sense tells me I don't want to be driving over 100mph on a plugged tire. But I thought some kind of road hazard coverage might be offered on these kinds of tires. Am I just not clued in??

Thanks, Jim

JimEE,

I just went through the same thing, but in my case I had to replace both rear tires which is what is recommended due to the difference in wear. Most places sell road hazzard coverage on the tires but you have to buy a full set which obviously equals to more money. Oh well, what can you do.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Porsche takes the safe approach by recommending that you replace the tire rather then repair it, and of course any real damage to the sidewall should mandate a replacement as well.

If you have a reputable tire shop to deal with, and they use the correct process where the tire is dismounted from the rim and the appropriate patch is used you should be good for use at reasonable speeds. The way it was told to me was that the speed rating is compromised but you would be fine at all legally posted speeds in North America.

BTW, I read in the owners manual that Porsche allows for up to a 30% varience in tread depth on an axle pair.

Porsche takes the safe approach by recommending that you replace the tire rather then repair it, and of course any real damage to the sidewall should mandate a replacement as well.

If you have a reputable tire shop to deal with, and they use the correct process where the tire is dismounted from the rim and the appropriate patch is used you should be good for use at reasonable speeds. The way it was told to me was that the speed rating is compromised but you would be fine at all legally posted speeds in North America.

BTW, I read in the owners manual that Porsche allows for up to a 30% varience in tread depth on an axle pair.

if it's just a nail and it's not in the sidewall, the structural integrity of the tire is likely not compromised much at all. plugs distort the geometry of the steel belts; a patch will be fine (even at very high speeds).

• 3 months later...

Got an Allen key caught in my tire a few months back on my E46 BM, drove for 10kms without even realising i had a flat amazingly

The tires were standard (non runflat) connie sport contacts.

It sort of flattened the edge of the rim slightly but little or no damage amazingly

Took it to a tire place, had them patch it, $20 later its back to new, that was 5,000kms ago, no probs since.

Got an Allen key caught in my tire a few months back on my E46 BM, drove for 10kms without even realising i had a flat amazingly

The tires were standard (non runflat) connie sport contacts.

It sort of flattened the edge of the rim slightly but little or no damage amazingly

Took it to a tire place, had them patch it, $20 later its back to new, that was 5,000kms ago, no probs since.

you're on borrowed time. when you drive on a non run-flat tire without pressure for any significant distance, the rim wears down the inside of the tire where the sidewall meets the tread. the tread can completely separate from the sidewalls when the tire heats up, causing massive failure. while you MIGHT be okay, this is a very serious risk imo. spend some $$$ on a new tire. btw, i speak from experience. i made this mistake about 10 yrs ago with my jetta. it's a miracle i didn't crash, as i was doing about 75mph around a bend on a crowded highway when the tire blew.

Thx Insite

I couldnt imagine it being good for the tire but im due for a new set very soon, as it is now the tire seems to be in good shape sidewall wise, no markings or indication of wear.

Im not quite sure if i was driving it flat or with a slow leak as i didnt notice it until a few hrs later when i was heading back to the car.

I will get it changed either way very soon

Cheers :)

Thx Insite

I couldnt imagine it being good for the tire but im due for a new set very soon, as it is now the tire seems to be in good shape sidewall wise, no markings or indication of wear.

Im not quite sure if i was driving it flat or with a slow leak as i didnt notice it until a few hrs later when i was heading back to the car.

I will get it changed either way very soon

Cheers :)

just be careful. you won't see any indications of wear; it all occurs inside the tire where the rubber gets sandwiched between the rim and the road. the rim will roll grooves into the inside of the tire, making it much thinner than it should be. take care.