Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

High RPM White Smoke

2000 Boster 2.7

85k/Mi

Tiptronic

I am getting white smoke at any rpm over about 4.5k. If i keep the car below 4.5k, I get no smoke at all.

Recently Replaced:

MAF

Air/Oil Separator

The smoke smells like oil smoke.

I have read that this can be valve guides. Any suggestions? Right now I am thinking to:

Remove engine, pull heads, have machine shop fix valve guides and do their magic on the heads. Replace head gasket and reinstall. I really am unsure what the problem is. When I got a quote from a porsche mechanic I was told that he would basically do what I just said.

Ideas? Anything else I should do while it's out?

I had a similar problem on my 996 at 97000 miles. The source can be either the valve guides or a blown cylinder ring. To figure this out requires starting with a leak down test. If you lose compression, the engine would need to be dissassembled to confirm the source. Either way, I learned that Porsche does not recommend rebuilding these engines. In fact, they don't even sell rebuild kits. They recommend a complete engine replacement. This is what I ended up needing -- happily under warrantee.

I'm asuming the oil separater was replaced out of need. And when these go they usually make an oily mess out of the intake system, oiling up the filter, air box, intake runners and ports and it also pushes excessive oil in the combustion chamber and finds its way into the exhaust and mufflers. If this is the case you may be burning residual oil that is lingering in your intake and most likely mufflers. Under your stated 4500 rpm the velocity may not be high enough to cause any notice. I would certainly check this out. Also install a fresh set of plugs and change the engine oil if it has over 4-5k miles on it as fuel dilution that occurs in time will aggravate the situation. Top up the oil to an exact level on the dip stick cold and recheck it after about 500 miles along with the plugs. If you are in fact burning or loosing oil thru the rings, guides or guide seals or possibly internally thru a failed gasket, you will notice a loss on the dip stick level and the offending cylinder (s) will cause that spark plug to be much darker and possibly oily black. Good Luck!

On labor day I removed and reinstalled the intake (manifold?) and basically all of the plastic parts on top of the engine. I did find oil in them and cleaned them out and reinstalled. What a pain in the ***. I also found that the mechanic that changed my oil separator had absolutely no clamp on the bottom of the separator where it connects to the engine. I have reinstalled most parts but am running into a couple problems where I should have marked things...hehe.

There is a small line leading to a resevoir that says "hydraulic fluid only" or something. Where does that go? Also, there is a blue sensor on the driver-side manifold that connects to 2 vacuum hoses. I think I connected them properly, but where are they supposed to go (before I try to actually start the car) so I can double check.

There is absolutely no room to work in this car... Anyone else ever try removing the passenger side manifold? What were they thinking?