Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch Question

Beecher

I have a 2003 6speed coupe with 6500 miles. I am puzzled by the behavior of the clutch as the contact point seems to move around. I think I know exactly where the clutch will engage when starting up from rest and nearly stall the car when the contact point is nearer the floor than I expected. I've been driving manual transmission cars for 40 years, but I can't get the clutch figured out in this car. It is only a problem when starting from rest, going through the gears is no problem. I have to drive the car like I'm driving it for the first time, carefully feeding in gas and letting out the clutch. Anyone else experience this?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that does this. I've had my carrera for 3 years now, and like you have driven sticks since the mid '60s and I still kill it somtimes when pulling into or backing out of a parking spot. I'm uncertain what the cause is, I keep thinking that I can't hear the motor but I have a cab with PSE and still kill it with the top down. Maybe it's the non sensitive feel of the hydraulic clutch coupled with a reatively tall first gear and little torque at low RPM. ???

Hi Nick,

I swear that the contact point moves around. I have the exact same problem turning the car around and backing up the hill into my garage. It takes a lot of care not to kill the engine. I had a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo with a fluid clutch that was totally dead under your foot but engaged at exactly the same place each time. I learned quickly where it came in and never stalled the car after the first week of owning it. Other than the funny clutch the 996 turbo is a blast to drive. I love it. :jump:

Beecher,

after reading your post, I am finally not feeling so bad. I too have an '03 TT and have experienced the very same challenges with my clutch. After reading Nick's reply, I have to say that his explanation may be the reason. Fun car to drive, indeed, once you get going!!!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

It's a characteristic of many hydraulic clutch systems. Crankshaft end play and irregularity in the clutch release fingers slightly push the slave cylinder pushrod in. This extra free play makes the clutch release and engage closer to the floor. Pumping the clutch once will take out the free play.