Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dansk muffler

I Recently had the new Dansk sport muffler with the twin tips installed on my 02 2.7 liter Boxster.

The problem was that the openings to the Dansk muffler were about 1.5 mm too large for the pipes coming off the catalytic converters. This required the installation of bushings and added several extra hours (and $$$) to the cost of the installation.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?

The Dansk distributor DPS Motorsports told me that this was a bolt-on, and that he had never heard of anyone having these issues before.

Can anyone share their Dansk story with me?

Marcus

post-4278-1159115978_thumb.jpg

post-4278-1159116000_thumb.jpg

post-4278-1159116016_thumb.jpg

post-4278-1159116035_thumb.jpg

post-4278-1159116060_thumb.jpg

Normally, the ends of the tubes are split. In pic #3, yours look short. Maybe your installer cut the ends off thinking it would make the install go easier? In any case, they should have just cut some new slots in the pipe so it would be just like it was before or like the OEM muffler. Because the ends, now, are not split, there is nothing crimping the muffler onto the pipes, so something will probably work loose or leak. Where'd you have the work done? I think you got a doofus. No problem with installing my Dansk. It could have been a factory defect, but easy to remedy rather than the convoluted half-solution your installer came up with. This will give you an idea of what the split end looks like: http://www.stuttgart.co.uk/cargraphic/986e...es/986exh_m.jpg

The 986 hood badge is a nice touch!

It shouldn't need any type of adapter. I would guess that your cat's have been replace with something else from another model or something changed. When a part made to fit all models suddenly doesn't fit one car, then something on that one car is different. Chances are that it's not an OEM mistake but more that something down the road in the cars life has been altered and now that part will not fit as they designed it to fit exactly on an OEM setup. So either a new pipe was welded on the back of your cat and or part of the muffler setup, the whole cat/muffler pipe has been changed, or (highly unlikely) your car is an OEM mistake.

Either way, a sleeve like what you did is perfectly acceptable way of making it work.

Edited by 986Jim

I just put the exact same Dansk muffler type (Dansk Sport Exhaust w/ Super Sound Tips) on my 2001 S today. I noticed as well that your muffler pipes didn't have the slits. Your date of mfr of the muffler appears to be the 17 week of 2005. Mine had a week 21 of 2006. Maybe they changed something in the manfacturing process. Unless your muffler-to-cat pipe is different it does appear that Dansk messed up.

Mine went in very smoothly; everything fit perfect and there were no leaks. I even reused the existing clamps which typically are changed in a muffler install. The quality of the muffler, stainless finish, fit and beautiful tips are a plus.

I'm not overly impressed w/ the sound. I expected a bit more 'rumble'. Maybe it needs to 'break in' a bit.

:drive: :D :drive: :D

Your exhaust system will take about 4-6 weeks before it settles to it's normal sound. That is ofcourse if it's a fiber packed muffler (generally stainless fiber fill) if it's baffled then the sound won't change too much with time. I would suspect they are stainless fiber filled and will get louder with some break in time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi, is there any reason you got the pressed-type Dansk muffler instead of the smooth style? I have been thinking of adding a Dansk muffler to my 2.7L 2000 Boxster. Also, what do you think of the sound compared to the stock muffler, thanks,

Ed

:cheers:

I've noticed that my car is sounding better and better as time goes on. The muffler definitely requires a break-in period.

Marc

• 3 months later...
Hi, is there any reason you got the pressed-type Dansk muffler instead of the smooth style? I have been thinking of adding a Dansk muffler to my 2.7L 2000 Boxster. Also, what do you think of the sound compared to the stock muffler, thanks,

Ed

I've noticed that my car is sounding better and better as time goes on. The muffler definitely requires a break-in period.

Marc

Hi again Marc, where is the cheapest place you have found for your style muffler. I tried one of the Dansk sausage-shapped mufflers on my 2.7L and the 2-3K resonance drove me nuts. I think the pressed-style Dansk that you got should allow for a little better flow rate and not have that annoying 2-3K resonance. Any thoughts after living with your muffler for a while would be appreciated,

Ed

:rolleyes:

Hi all,

I got the Dansk Sport Sound muffler just about a year ago from DPS Motorsport also. I had my mechanic put them on my 2000 996 C4 Cab and it took him two hours. No problems at all. It definately took a few weeks for the sound to get settled in, and I think they sound great. I hardly have any resonance inside the cabin, top up or down. From the outside they sound great (so I've been told by the wife, friends and a couple neighbors). I worried in the beginning about them not being loud enough, but I think they're good where they're at. If you get down on the peddle they come to life pretty well. Same with down shifting.

I purchased them through a group buy on Rennlist and actually got mine for $750, plus the $150 for install. There is a guy over on the 996 board in Rennlist, Niccolas, who purchased the Super Sound set which was the louder ones. They're loud, but that was what he was looking for and last I heard he liked them.

Troy :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Ed

Marc

I am in between the Dansk Sport Exhaust you have and the Tequipment Sport Exhuast. i know that the tequipment is a lot more expensive. Did you consider it before getting the Dansk??? How different are they in sound??? Also I just got the lower spoilers for my 02 Boxster to get the look of an 03 boxster and I won't be able to install them if I get the Tequipment exhaust, so I am not sure which one to get. Any help! I mainly want to know the difference in sound between the two of them. Thanks,

LRR

Normally, the ends of the tubes are split. In pic #3, yours look short. Maybe your installer cut the ends off thinking it would make the install go easier? In any case, they should have just cut some new slots in the pipe so it would be just like it was before or like the OEM muffler. Because the ends, now, are not split, there is nothing crimping the muffler onto the pipes, so something will probably work loose or leak. Where'd you have the work done? I think you got a doofus. No problem with installing my Dansk. It could have been a factory defect, but easy to remedy rather than the convoluted half-solution your installer came up with. This will give you an idea of what the split end looks like: http://www.stuttgart.co.uk/cargraphic/986e...es/986exh_m.jpg

The 986 hood badge is a nice touch!

I've seen this same issue with a Dansk at least once before on one of the Boxster boards. I remember this same discussion about the tubes looking short and not having any slits. Could be an occasional factory defect that shows up. In any event, like mee said, easy enough to work around. Does tend to tick you off when you pay good bucks for something though....