Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster S brake discs

Several manuf. make cross drilled rotors for the standard Boxster ( non S ). Those are a simple swap. They are not as big in diameter as the "S'' rotors, but they still look good. I noticed no difference in stopping power, but the Boxster stops great anyways so who cares. It's all cosmetic. :)

I have done the swap to Box S brakes on my 00 box. I did it to upgrade braking to match the 3.4l 996 engine I am putting in.

The fronts are a straight swap. The S calipers bolt right on, and the rotors as well. The S rotors, in addition to being cross drilled are also larger in diameter, and wider than the stock S.

The rears are more of a pain. Probably to get a significant improvement in braking, you could just do the fronts and leave the rears stock, but I didn't want to leave the rears stock for the sake of completeness (or some may say obsession!!). The rear rotors are also wider and larger in diameter, and they don't fit with the calipers. When you bolt on the rotor, the caliper does not clear it. There is also a problem with the backing plate, which is too small to fit the rotor as well. So, from here you can go two ways, Way 1 would be to change out the wheel bearing carriers to those of an S, expensive and expensive. You may need to change out some of the control arms as well, I am not sure. I know that the S has strengthened rear control arms, as well as larger bearing carriers.

Way 2 is to do what I did, which is to buy the very cleaver kit made by FVD which provides a larger backing plate, and spacers that go between the caliper and the bearing carrier. These spacer plates go between the caliper and the boss on the bearing carrier, and provide enough standoff so that the calipers can make it around the rotors.

You also need to buy the parking brakes shoes, springs, and tension adjuster of the S, which all fit very nicely with the revised backing plate.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
thas great cheers

As Boxster02 replied, there are kits on eBay that will chnage everything you need (pads too)...

I am thinking of this as well, not only for cosmetics but because the rotors on my car a quite worn ( good excuse).

I was thinking of Zimmerman crossdrilled/slotted with Mintex (redbox) pads...

• 1 year later...

Hi, I may have sent this twice, but I could not tell if it went the first time.

I have completed an upgrade to S brakes on my standard 1999 Boxster. The caliper and rotor install went great with the spacers from FVD you mentioned in your post. I have been driving for several weeks with the new red brakes and there is a substantial difference in stopping power. I have now received all the new emergency brake parts and am ready to finish the job but have a couple of questions. I assume you need to pull the rear hubs to install the new aluminum backing plates. What type of hub puller did you use? Also the stock backing plate has two parts, the outer backing plate and the inner sheetmetal plate that ears that protect the tie rod ends just inboard of the backing plates. Did you retain the inner plate or just replace both of the stock plates with the new adaptor plate?

The red brakes look really good on my Pastel Yellow car, I believe all the hassle was worth the effort.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Rick Gorman (pacrtg)

I have done the swap to Box S brakes on my 00 box. I did it to upgrade braking to match the 3.4l 996 engine I am putting in.

The fronts are a straight swap. The S calipers bolt right on, and the rotors as well. The S rotors, in addition to being cross drilled are also larger in diameter, and wider than the stock S.

The rears are more of a pain. Probably to get a significant improvement in braking, you could just do the fronts and leave the rears stock, but I didn't want to leave the rears stock for the sake of completeness (or some may say obsession!!). The rear rotors are also wider and larger in diameter, and they don't fit with the calipers. When you bolt on the rotor, the caliper does not clear it. There is also a problem with the backing plate, which is too small to fit the rotor as well. So, from here you can go two ways, Way 1 would be to change out the wheel bearing carriers to those of an S, expensive and expensive. You may need to change out some of the control arms as well, I am not sure. I know that the S has strengthened rear control arms, as well as larger bearing carriers.

Way 2 is to do what I did, which is to buy the very cleaver kit made by FVD which provides a larger backing plate, and spacers that go between the caliper and the bearing carrier. These spacer plates go between the caliper and the boss on the bearing carrier, and provide enough standoff so that the calipers can make it around the rotors.

You also need to buy the parking brakes shoes, springs, and tension adjuster of the S, which all fit very nicely with the revised backing plate.

Hope this helps

I have a 2000 Standard Boxster which now has S brake Brake Disks. The fronts were done after purchasing new front calipers from a used Carrera. Which are the same as an "S" but colored black not red. I put my stock front calipers on the rear with "S" disks. The main problem is with the Ebrake on the rear as the "S" has larger ebrake shoes. I replaced the shoes with "S" models but drilled a new hole where the center spring attaches to each shoe so that they match the drums shape. I left the hole in the backing plate in the same original place but drilled a new hole in the shoes as stated above this way I did not have to change to an "S" backing plate or to an "S" Hub carrier.

Catman :renntech: