Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

clutch or hydraulics

i have an '02 s with about 50,000 miles.

a few days ago, i drove about two blocks and when i went to shift, the clutch lost all resistance. it is now spongy.

i have been reading that the clutch pedal usually gets harder as the clutch wears. i have the opposite problem.

from what i have been reading, it sounds like hydraulics, but i have been told to replace the clutch.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

nels

hmm, not sure. go check your master cylinder (where the brake fluid is). see if it's low (or gone.)

when i lost my hydraulic fluid, the pedal just stayed on the floor. (not the box, another car.)

are you able to change gears? does the clutch pedal spring back at all? who told you to replace the clutch? (just curious.)

ok, First you should look for the clutch slave cyclindar and check for leaks. usually thats the first to go bad, after that its your Clutch Master cyclindar....Im not sure the setup of the slave cyclindar but on my other cars, when it would go bad i could peal back this rubber dust cover sleeve from the slave and it would be loaded with clutch fluid when worn out....easy part to replace.

chris:

the car has no problem shifting and feels "normal' with the exception that the clutch is soft. no sticking to the floor or refusing to shift. the fluid level appears to be o.k., although i have not gone through the car.

i called the shop where i have had work done to see if the car was drivable. they told me a new clutch was necessary, but i could drive it in (about 10 miles) and it should not be a problem.

going from fine, to new clutch, without the pedal getting hard to push or other issues raises a red flag.

thanks for the thoughts.

nels