Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

RMS and 987 Boxster

Interesting that there has been a new seal design fitted to later model 987 models . Is it just a question of luck with seals failing on earlier model 987's , or are they all eventually going to fail? Just had the clutch and flywheel replaced at 26k miles and no signs of RMS leaks though the intermediate shaft cover seal was replaced due to a very small weep. The RMS wasn't leaking so it wasn't replaced. just wondering if the old design seal is guaranteed to fail at some point , or if it hasn't failed to date , i can assume it should last to the next clutch change (hopefully at a more reasonable 100k !)

Looked at the white tag that lists the VIN and option #s. Also has the engine # listed as M96-615 0870 1...so I'm probably into the new RMS production specification. If it blows...I'll report the failure.

A clutch & flywheel replaced at 26K miles...under warranty hopefully?

Thanks Loren for the info on engine numbers...and I lived in Roseville, CA once upon a time, before there was a 'Granite Bay' notation.

My RMS was recently replaced under warranty, an '05 Boxster S. Must have been a fairly early build because it went in service May-05 (don't know build date). I hadn't noticed either oil leakage or excessive consumption (have only topped up once in the last ~10 months, perhaps 1/2 quart), but the service tech noticed a very small leak during my 15k service. But hadn't caused any problems for me.

My Boxster is September 2004 registered so maybe its just a case of luck if the seal fails on earlier cars..I hope so. To answer the question , the clutch wasn't covered under warranty and I'm progressing the DMF , but dont hold out much hope.

• Admin
hi all checked option/chassis tag regarding the engine serialnr. mine is M9625-615 G8720-000 so i see a G in the number i.s.o the nr given here 085--- so do i have the new modified rms seal or not ??? thanks
On the drivers door is tag - it has your build date on it. Check the date against the date I provided in the post above. If it is a newer build than that date then you have the new seal.

hi loren thanks for the reply but do you mean the decal with the tire pressures in the driverside door opening ( lefthand drive ) or the other decal in the rh side opening.the lh side with the tire pressures i don,t have this anymore because the door opening was resprayed after i dropped someting heavy on it :censored:

I guess I'm in trouble. I have an 05 Boxster S with a 12/04 build date. I use a qt. every 2500 miles, I bought the car in last fall with 8 K miles and I'm up to 17K now. I mentioned the usage to my dealer and the nicely topped off my oil and sent me on my way. I don't see any leakage, what are my options?

• Admin
I guess I'm in trouble. I have an 05 Boxster S with a 12/04 build date. I use a qt. every 2500 miles, I bought the car in last fall with 8 K miles and I'm up to 17K now. I mentioned the usage to my dealer and the nicely topped off my oil and sent me on my way. I don't see any leakage, what are my options?
Just because your car was built with the older version of the seal does not mean it will leak. Still it would be wise to have your dealer check for leaks before your warranty runs out. If they find any be sure it is noted on the repair order - so you proof the issue was there when you were still under warranty.

But, like I said it may never leak - only a small percentage ever do.

• 3 weeks later...

When my car was in for the clutch and flywheel there were no signs of leak on the RMS , but the intermediate shaft cover seal was leaking. This has now been replaced but it was a very small leak , only a thin film of oil residue giving the game away.

Just as a follow up to 'researching' the build date of a vehicle...my door jamb identification plate sticker lists 05/05 as the build date.

Made a copy of the white tag with the VIN and engine number, and had our fine local dealer (Niello) look up the date of construction.

Turns out the 987 was made June 7, 2005, which was around the time of my guesstimate based on the engine number being approximately 150 units after the RMS switch in May 2005.

Why are you worring about the RMS? Its unlikely you will have a chance to replace the RMS for any other routine work before it fails on its own accord. Even when it fails in most cases its just an annoying weep, never severe enough to drain all the engine oil. I wouldn't worry, as its not as common to have an RMS failure on a 987 as it was on the earlier 986, and even then it was never guaranteed to affect all cars. Sure its nice to know if you have the updated seal, but unless you have a clutch or flywheel change coming up , then you will be paying 1200 dollars to fix an oil weep. From what i've heard, Porsche are replacing the RMS as part of a good will program for those cars found to experience the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Per TSB 4/06 1359 Crankshaft Seal On Flywheel Side Leaking -- dated Nov 6, 2006

New crankshaft seal on flywheel side:

May 17, 2005 as of engine numbers

M96/ 25 615 0851 9 (2.7 liter)

M96/ 26 625 07322 (3.2 liter)

I've got a 05/05 build date on a 987S

M96/ 26 625 G8XXX

Does that put me in the category of post new seal? Not sure how to interpret the "G".

• Admin
Per TSB 4/06 1359 Crankshaft Seal On Flywheel Side Leaking -- dated Nov 6, 2006

New crankshaft seal on flywheel side:

May 17, 2005 as of engine numbers

M96/ 25 615 0851 9 (2.7 liter)

M96/ 26 625 07322 (3.2 liter)

I've got a 05/05 build date on a 987S

M96/ 26 625 G8XXX

Does that put me in the category of post new seal? Not sure how to interpret the "G".

Yes, you have the new seal.

G8xxx is the transmission code.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, on other forums I visit people are still deriding Porsche for not having fixed this problem. I got lambasted for saying that I was glad things were better with the 987--people were telling me I was kidding myself, etc. being all nasty.

I hope things go well for the 997 and 987 and that RMS is in the past. Personally I'm not worried about it--if it happens, so be it. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

29,300 miles, no RMS. Built in April or May, 05.

Oh and FYI, my car was eating oil pretty well up to about 10,000 miles. It seems to be normal behavior.

Edited by eslai

• 2 months later...

FWIW On a base 987 with a build date of 02/05 I just had the RMS replaced under warranty at about 16K miles.

Never any oil on the garage, or noticeable consumption between changes. I have noticed a vague "hot" smell over the last few months occasionally.

The dealer noticed the minor RMS leak during the oil change.

Overall, the car has been very reliable, with no unscheduled dealer visits.

Waranty items to date (29 months/16Kmiles): RMS, the valve the made the "kazoo"sound about 3000 RPM (I forget the name off the top of my head), a front "light controller" box for the fog lights, the HomeLink garage door transmitter (wouldn't hold programming--new one does) and the driver's side sun visor, which developed an annoying rattle.

The dealer ordered a new head unit for me when mine started locking up on CDs and randomly changing stations, but it spontaneously healed itself (after he R&R'd it to check the serial # or something) so I declined to return for the replacement, more than a year ago. I suspect the unit had a loose connection somewhere.

Mine has an early Feb 2005 build date and so far no rms issues as I approach 20k. It doesn't use any oil whatsoever and with the exception of a couple of issues with the soft top folding outside of the frame and a broken elastic cable (all fixed under warr) it has been a joy to own.

Edited by dschulenberg