Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Which clutch kit for a my03 non-S Boxster? Hey Loren, Tool Pants!

OK, I have been shopping around and have been getting conflicting information on the correct OEM (Porsche) clutch kit for my car...

I went to the dealer with the following number 986.116.911.01, he said that's the old number and it moves up to 986.116.911.02 and gave me a price.

I checked the various other online sources and it would seem that they list the .01 for a 2000+ non-S (2.7l) and the .02 for a 2000+ S (3.2l)

Also check the part/price look-up here on the forum and found both listed, even the older one for a 2.5l engine.

Soooo... Is it better to go to the .02 part number and use it with a 2.7l engine, possibly giving more holding power as compared to the original unit? Will the S clutch kit even fit (all of the individual part numbers are different, even the release bearing)?

I was about to have Sunset Porsche send the works, but which one? No point in getting a deal on the older kit if the later one is the way to go, I only want to do this once. :(

Thanks!

The only difference between the two kits is the pressure plate. Porsche now uses the same flywheel for all Boxster (-05) which means it should bolt up. probably just a spring rate difference.

I would go withe the "S" kit but you can always double check with JeffClark@sunsetimports.com

I would tend to agree, if the stronger clutch fits then it would a welcome addition.

Hmmm, the clutch kit brochure I grabbed from the parts counter at the dealership listed what each of the kit's contained, from it none of the parts were the same between the .01 and .02, different plate, disc and bearing.

986.116.911.00 kit 2.5l (986.116.028.03 plate, 986.116.014.06 disc, 012.141.165.E bearing)

986.116.911.01 kit 2.7l (986.116.028.04 plate, 986.116.014.06 disc, 012.141.165.E bearing)

986.116.911.02 kit 3.2l (986.116.027.06 plate, 986.116.013.00 disc, 986.116.080.04 bearing)

Jeff is the guy I have been trading emails with, not about this question, just buying the parts from them versus locally, which is why I wanted to get this sorted out.

Edited by Westcoaster