Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Did your dealer do the firmware upgrade so you can use the newer DVD?

As I recall there are several upgraded that must be done by the dealer to use the newer DVD software.

I bought the DVD on the internet. Do I really have to go to my dealer ?

Did your dealer do the firmware upgrade so you can use the newer DVD?

As I recall there are several upgraded that must be done by the dealer to use the newer DVD software.

I bought the DVD on the internet. Do I really have to go to my dealer ?

Yes, and IIRC they will unfortunately charge you an arm and a leg for the upgrade disks making the whole thing very prohibitive. Its somewhat of an issue in the UK atm.

Regards

Popolou

Officially Porsche will not update your PCM for you , unless you purchase the upgrade pack that includes the map DVD and the two update software CD's. They will also tell you the update has to be done in the workshop using the PWIS tool. The update Package costs about 350 pounds plus VAT, but they will normally do the workshop labour for free.

Unofficially it can be done by yourself if you have the Update software.

PM me if you want more details

Edited by berty987

Officially Porsche will not update your PCM for you , unless you purchase the upgrade pack that includes the map DVD and the two update software CD's. They will also tell you the update has to be done in the workshop using the PWIS tool. The update Package costs about 350 pounds plus VAT, but they will normally do the workshop labour for free.

I'm very interested.

How can I get the update software ?

• 3 months later...

I just inquired about updating my standard production pcm 2.1 on my '05 997S at my dealer and they said it could not be done unless I wanted to change out hardware(ie. very expensive). From reading related posts it sounds like two separate cd upgrades to 2.1a and then 2.1b, do you think my dealer is actually trying to avoid doing the update or are they that out of the loop. I am expecting to be now told that I have to buy the new nav dvd from them to get it done. Ultimately I want to get satellite radio and so need the pcm 2.1b. Has anyone else already done this, since most posts on sat. radio seem to start with a later production 997. Thanks for any input. :help:

• 11 months later...

I'm having my pcm 2.1 upgraded to rev b. MY05 997s. A dealer is doing it for free, so far. But, they did screw up the amp on the first try and had to order me a new one (they pay still). So when I get the amp installed tomorrow and the rest of the update, hopefully it will be AOK. You can get some software upgrades done under warranty, especially if there are TSBs about PCM issues. I figure that most dealers don't want to do it, because they risk screwing up other things while doing the upgrade - so it is risky..

Interesting that the Dealers are screwing up the amps on updating the PCM. I know of at least 3 cars spanning 2004 -2005 manufacture all with BOSE systems that have updated using the update CD's with no issues on the BOSE. Seems those using the bit torrent download or the PWIS in the delaer are experiencing more difficulties , particularly if its a 997. All the cars I know of have been 987 (boxsters) with the exception of 2 997 cars , but I don't think these had BOSE. The 997 BOSE system is different to the 987 even though they use the same base amplifier in many cases. The 997 has an extension to its outputs not used on the 987 as it has more speakers in the 997. My suspicion is that the corrupted bose amps are the result of the update software not being correctly configured for the additional outputs on the 997 units , so the software crashes during the download .

Interesting that the Dealers are screwing up the amps on updating the PCM. I know of at least 3 cars spanning 2004 -2005 manufacture all with BOSE systems that have updated using the update CD's with no issues on the BOSE. Seems those using the bit torrent download or the PWIS in the delaer are experiencing more difficulties , particularly if its a 997. All the cars I know of have been 987 (boxsters) with the exception of 2 997 cars , but I don't think these had BOSE. The 997 BOSE system is different to the 987 even though they use the same base amplifier in many cases. The 997 has an extension to its outputs not used on the 987 as it has more speakers in the 997. My suspicion is that the corrupted bose amps are the result of the update software not being correctly configured for the additional outputs on the 997 units , so the software crashes during the download .

I got my car back from the dealer. They upgraded the PCM from 2.1A to 2.1B. They broke the BOSE Amp while doing it, but repaced it for free. I originally went in because I had an "Incompatible Navigation Software" message at the bottom on the screen while going from main to nav. The upgrade did not fix that!? I do have to say, I only got the message after replacing a 10/2005 DVD with a 05/2006 DVD. The system does read the newer DVD, but I still get the incompatible software message - it has stumped my dealer so far. Anyway, I may try a newer dvd 05/2007 (997.642.257.05) to see it that will work - plus I want the newer maps. Does anyone know the part number and where to get the 10/2007 navigation DVD?