Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY Sport Mufflers?

I can't get that link to work, but I think they must be these ones: http://www.oettle-autodienst.de/ (Go to Downloads/Auspuffinfo).

Two or three guys on the PCGB forum have bought them and are very pleased with the result. The original PSE had a silencer bypass pipe with a valve to open or close the bypass. The Oettle system is doing the same job without the valve. I have just bought a pair of standard mufflers on eBay, and am about to do this myself. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get around to it, but here are a couple of photos of what I plan to do.

Porsche PSE:

post-4000-1162723958.jpg

Planned Mods:

post-4000-1162724026_thumb.jpg

post-4000-1162724053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Richard,

thanks for a prompt reply. Is that all there is to it? I.e. couple of holes and the a piece of tubing welded in place?

If You could post some pictures of the process that would be appreciated. I plan on doing this as well...if it is that simple.

The link You attached is the one I meant - same company.

I can't get that link to work, but I think they must be these ones: http://www.oettle-autodienst.de/ (Go to Downloads/Auspuffinfo).

Two or three guys on the PCGB forum have bought them and are very pleased with the result. The original PSE had a silencer bypass pipe with a valve to open or close the bypass. The Oettle system is doing the same job without the valve. I have just bought a pair of standard mufflers on eBay, and am about to do this myself. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get around to it, but here are a couple of photos of what I plan to do.

Porsche PSE:

post-4000-1162723958.jpg

Planned Mods:

post-4000-1162724026_thumb.jpg

post-4000-1162724053_thumb.jpg

Edited by splitwindow

• 5 months later...

I've got something very similar on my '99 C2. It was done about 5 years ago here in the states. The only difference is the diameter and routing of the stainless steel tubing. I've been very pleased with it, although admittedly there is increased vibration at idle.

I've got something very similar on my '99 C2. It was done about 5 years ago here in the states. The only difference is the diameter and routing of the stainless steel tubing. I've been very pleased with it, although admittedly there is increased vibration at idle.

I just did this modification with a set of MY02 mufflers off a 3.6L engine....but routed it differently and used the 2.5 inch stainless pipe. I posted pictures and the entire process over on the Rennlist forum. Search under "Modding the 3.6L muffler for a MKII design" and you will find all the details. I just finished up the car and had a friend do a drive by for me...the sound is fantastic and has been compared to the PSE mufflers. It even looks like the PSE's without the vacuum solenoid. From what I understand, both of these mods give you a great result.

Edited by Chuck Jones

Rennlist has these mods pretty well documented, but let me save you hours of searching (as I have contemplated this myself). Here is the short of it.

Two types of mufflers: 3.4 and 3.6 engines.

Two types of modifications: "MK 1" is the one shown on the pictures above; "MK 2" is somewhat similar, but it is a pipe that goes from the nipple/recess on the top rearmost part of the mufflers connecting it directly to the pipe that eventually leads to the muffler tips.

The consensus is that you barely get any increase in noise from the 3.4 mufflers, and that is with the MK 1 version. MK 2 version on the 3.4 mufflers has yielded insignificant results (why, I don't know). Supposedly, the only mufflers worthwhile modifying are the 3.6 mufflers using the MK 2 version of the mod. This combination supposedly yields the equivalent of the PSE sound. I believe someone tried a combination of the MK 1 and 2 modifications on a 3.4 or 3.6 muffler, but I lost track of the result.

Me, I used the "infamous" orange cap on the intake and having a ball with the new sound from 4.5K-6K rpms. Wish I could get similar results (and a tad louder) from something else and through a wider range. I tried the home made route of the muffler bypass, and though it sounded great, it rendered the car useless for drives over 10 minutes long (plus shook loose half of my interior)

Richard hamilton. My photo,s of mods. Seems like everyone fancy,s doing this mod. Heres a few more pics. The cost is about £30.00 English & a mate with a tig welder. The sound is very good as richard will tell you we both did this mod, The thing with the PSE system is you never turn it off so why pay the bucks. Other thing is you never bother to turn the radio on anymore the sound of the exhaust is all you want to hear. A pic of the finished article with the cut down turbo bumper & turbo tails

Richard and Steve: do either one of you recall what diameter tube used for this modification? Any chance either one of you have sound clips? Just to confirm, both of you have the 3.4 mufflers, correct?

I used 1 inch o/dia stainless steel tube and bends. Yes - mine is a 3.4.

Thanks to Steve for his help with providing the pictures, and pointing me in the right direction.

This is a video from the Oettle site, which gives a good idea of what they sound like:

http://www.oettle-autodienst.de/mediapool/...AGE_STUFE_1.wmv

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Well I done this mod on my car last week using mkI silencers, I used a narrower pipe and there is only a small improvement in sound (mainly high revs).

I am a bit disappointed, but its partly my fault as I though too thick a pipe would be overly loud.

I will buy a set of mkII silencer, use a think pipe and someone is building a valve with a electronic switch, will let you know how I get on and post up results.

• 11 months later...

Many thanks for the pictures for those who posted them. I printed off the pictures and took them to a company called backdraft Motorsport in Milton Keynes. The Very nice chap who runs the business, took my mufflers off, welded up the pipes and put everything back. The whole thing cost £350 including all labour. I have a standard 3.4 996 and the sound now is fantastic. Definately worth the money if you don't want to get your hands dirty :)

I did take some pictures, will get them uploaded so you can see the quality of his work!

• 3 weeks later...
Many thanks for the pictures for those who posted them. I printed off the pictures and took them to a company called backdraft Motorsport in Milton Keynes. The Very nice chap who runs the business, took my mufflers off, welded up the pipes and put everything back. The whole thing cost £350 including all labour. I have a standard 3.4 996 and the sound now is fantastic. Definately worth the money if you don't want to get your hands dirty :)

I did take some pictures, will get them uploaded so you can see the quality of his work!

Here are the pictures of backdraft's work. been over a month now and still don't want to put the radio on!

post-28997-1207739692.jpg

post-28997-1207739700.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I did the mk11 mod on a 3.6 can, paid $80 to a muffler shop.(Those suckers are huge and heavy)it's not as loud as i thought it would be on idle, but it does sounds really good on high rpm's. I installed the ebay headers that's going for $150 total including shipping. And did the mod for the $10 intake mod also "Air box modification found in DIY Mods by Blueline". All this mods For $240, I am very pleased with the result. The car just goes with a deep sound like a race car. It's amazing, the car is so much more fun to drive now. And it did not cost me a fortune. I highly recommend it.

heres the picture i showed the muffler shop.

Miks

post-24953-1209107872_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I did the mk11 mod on a 3.6 can, paid $80 to a muffler shop.(Those suckers are huge and heavy)it's not as loud as i thought it would be on idle, but it does sounds really good on high rpm's. I installed the ebay headers that's going for $150 total including shipping. And did the mod for the $10 intake mod also "Air box modification found in DIY Mods by Blueline". All this mods For $240, I am very pleased with the result. The car just goes with a deep sound like a race car. It's amazing, the car is so much more fun to drive now. And it did not cost me a fortune. I highly recommend it.

Miks

Hey Miks,

Do you have any sound bites of this set-up? I'd love to hear it!

Medtech

:D

Miks

Hey Miks,

Do you have any sound bites of this set-up? I'd love to hear it!

Medtech

:D

I'll try and record it soon and upload it! It sounds really cool in the car!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Miks

Hi,

Do we have to block the original pipe? Or we just weld a bypass pipe? Thank you!

Regards,

Jam

Am I correct in assuming that the picture on the left is the type I mod while the picture on the right is the type II mod?

If your referring to FisterD's response. The left side is the MK2 and the right side MK1 type mod.

I don't follow the MKI, MKII designations...sorry or the confusion. I classify my muffler mods by "stages". The less aggressive, less loud being "I", and the louder , more aggressive being "II"

My Stage I (MkII) is the milder, less aggressive mod. Connecting the third unused port to the outlet.

My Stage II (MkI) is louder and more aggressive sounding. connecting the inlet directly to the outlet.