Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

rear suspension

i don't think so.......

361040213.jpg

i used a flap disc and made the mouth wider and thinned it out also, so i will have to see how it works when i get home

this mod actually helped to get the drivers side off in no time at all.

BUT after removing the right side, I bent the threads on the ball joint........

I am assuming that i need to replace the entire control arm.

depends on how much you bent them. i bent them on my rear control arm once, but not too bad. i used a small file to file away the two threads i bent very carefully, and managed to get the nut back on. i have since gotten a huge assortment of taps and dies because the filing was a little hit or miss. but study it - see what is bent, and see if you think you can remove a couple of threads - it is cheaper than the 200 - 300 control arm.

Yes, it's possible... isn't removing the ball joint what you were trying to do in the first place? The procedure is just like Highlander posted on page 1, using the tool everyone was pointing you towards. You'll have to grind off the bent part of your old ball joint, too, I think. You need a ball joint removal tool, and when you apply enough pressure (and WD40) it pops out. Then, another special tool + more pressure inserts the new ball joint. It was $10 for a new ball join the last time I had to change it on a domestic, so probably about $200 for this one ;)

Edited by grover

i was popping the ball joint out so i could swing out the hub, so i could remove the axle. I am replacing the cv boots. Replacing a ball joiont was not in the picture on this project.

I have done many things in the past but never ball joints of all things

Yes, it's possible... isn't removing the ball joint what you were trying to do in the first place? The procedure is just like Highlander posted on page 1, using the tool everyone was pointing you towards. You'll have to grind off the bent part of your old ball joint, too, I think. You need a ball joint removal tool, and when you apply enough pressure (and WD40) it pops out. Then, another special tool + more pressure inserts the new ball joint. It was $10 for a new ball join the last time I had to change it on a domestic, so probably about $200 for this one ;)

I would replace the damaged joint, the threads could be damage but it could have hidden faults like stretched threads which could break under loading.

called my indep. mech and he has never done these like most people. I ordered a used control arm from dc automotive in NC. I will never make this error again when disconnecting a ball joint.