Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Time to do a new swap

The 3.6 swap in your car is pretty simple. One complication may be if you have PSM but if you contact Scott at Softronic he will be able to help you out with this if you are going to have him do the ECU programming. You don't need the 996 cluster, but it looks a lot better. You will need a new exhaust/headers, the spacers are easy to fabricate on your own. You may want to use 993/964 engine mounts at the trans end to lower the rear to compensate for lowering the front. You might want to think about a clutch/pp to handle the extra torque. I would buy a motor from Porsche (sunset) the price differential isn't that great over what you will pay a wrecking yard for a used motor with an unknown history.

Good luck, it will be well worth it in the end.

Todd

Hi Todd,

First post - I love my 2004 986 500 SE but it's time for more power now it's only used on the track. Great thread (amazed you make it sound so easy! ) and I'm therefore putting together the following shipping list:

- 3.6 motor

- ECU reprogram (Softronic?)

- Air intake upstream of the throttle bod

- 996 gauge cluster

Any other misc parts I need, like headers, spacers,etc. I'm presuming my wiring from my MY is okay?

Also for the 20,000 dollar question, where do you get your engines from ? :lol:

Cheers,

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. Mind if I ask what extra complications the 3.8 brings, if any? For the small extra it seems worth it if as straightforward...

The 3.6 swap in your car is pretty simple. One complication may be if you have PSM but if you contact Scott at Softronic he will be able to help you out with this if you are going to have him do the ECU programming. You don't need the 996 cluster, but it looks a lot better. You will need a new exhaust/headers, the spacers are easy to fabricate on your own. You may want to use 993/964 engine mounts at the trans end to lower the rear to compensate for lowering the front. You might want to think about a clutch/pp to handle the extra torque. I would buy a motor from Porsche (sunset) the price differential isn't that great over what you will pay a wrecking yard for a used motor with an unknown history.

Good luck, it will be well worth it in the end.

Todd

Hi Todd,

First post - I love my 2004 986 500 SE but it's time for more power now it's only used on the track. Great thread (amazed you make it sound so easy! ) and I'm therefore putting together the following shipping list:

- 3.6 motor

- ECU reprogram (Softronic?)

- Air intake upstream of the throttle bod

- 996 gauge cluster

Any other misc parts I need, like headers, spacers,etc. I'm presuming my wiring from my MY is okay?

Also for the 20,000 dollar question, where do you get your engines from ? :lol:

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
It is just a fuel supply system. Except for the C4 in the USA, the DME does not regulate fuel pressure.

The factory just went to a returnless system for emissions. Thus, anyway you regulate the fuel pressure, as long as it is the correct pressure will work just fine. You can use the old fuel rail setup and the integrated FPR (just remove the vacuum connection as the later programming doesn't rely on reducing the fuel pressure under vacuum, just a constant 3.8 bar) or you can use the 997 returnless rails and fabricate some sort of aftermarket FPR or you can integrate the returnless system on the car which requires new fuel pump and level sending assembly.

Todd

Hi again (continuing with my MY 996 engine swap with 3.8 ). The project goes very slowly, very slowly, as I´ve been sourcing parts....

Right now I found MY03 engine wiring harness, which I installed. Have to open half car, I never thought it´s so much work. Further complications came as the harness I bought is for coupe, and mine is a convertible (so I cut the extra wires out form the old one).

Now I have problem with EGAS, I haven´t found any instructions how to wire the late egas pedal to the 7.8 DME I have . I´ve been spending hours with wiring diagrams, but have not located the famous 4 extra wires I have to install. In the new egas pedal there is a 4 wire plug in top of the pedal, is this the one? And where do Ihave to connect those 4 wires????

Please help, I could not find the information by searching this forum....

Thanks

Kare