Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Short Throw Shift Kit on Ebay

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a problem. The inside diameter of one of the cup bushings is too large. The other bushing is ok, a snug fit like it should be. Strange that they are not both machined the same. If I was to put the shift in a car with that bushing the way it is the lever would rock.

Thanks, I'll take a look at mine and let you know what I find. Any idea how much it would cost to have bushings made (if need be) to fit the tolerances? Seems like a fair # of people have purchased this kit so as mentioned above, maybe we can get a group buy going on this.

TIA

I talked to him today. I'll get back to this thread when we work out what the price would be. The more people who buy at a time, the cheaper it will be as set up time is a big chunk of the cost and only needs to be done once for each run of parts. How many folks would be interested?

i just had one installed the other day, wow what a difference.

it does feel a little different than the stock one, a little harder to get into gears, but much more shorter, i love it.

and as for the inserts, i dont know, i dont think theres a need to upgrade to anything.

• 2 weeks later...
I talked to him today. I'll get back to this thread when we work out what the price would be. The more people who buy at a time, the cheaper it will be as set up time is a big chunk of the cost and only needs to be done once for each run of parts. How many folks would be interested?

This isn't going to happen, sorry, so I've attached the CAD files in a neutral format that any CAM system should be able to read, units ar in mm. You can just take these to a machine shop and they'll be able to make them for you. One's the bushing that's used at the ends of the shifter. The other is the washer that's used between the shaft and the aluminum housing. You'd need 2 of each. Although they are the models that I used, so they are accurate to the best of my knowledge, you use these at your own risk, I assume no responsability for anyone using these models to make parts.

http://putstuff.putfile.com/46172/5467894

http://putstuff.putfile.com/46173/856398

If you can't find a local machine shop, there's a few online to try.

Edited by blue2000s

I just looked at several clones on ebay from different sellers, and with one exception the lever is backwards.

On the ebay pic clone below the bend of the lever is correct, to the right. The rest of the ebay pictures from the other sellers were backwards.

Forgive me here if I'm way off base but maybe they are set up for RHD cars?

Anyway I'm interested in getting a short shift kit and yes I'm in the UK. I'm not normally a fan of buying from US dealers on eBay so if someone can recommend a seller I may give it a go.

Thanks...

• Moderators

I bought the knock-off from the ebay seller a2rinc for the comparison test. The seller is in Addison, Texas. I sent the seller pictures and a video of the poor fit of one of the plastic cup bushings, and the seller expected me to find him/her a source of proper fitting bushings???

Anyway, Alex provided a new in the box B&M today so I could compare it with the knock-off.

Just for fun, I removed the lever from the knock-off and reversed it 180 degrees for the third picture so that the bend is to the right, as if it was to be installed in a car.

Attack of the clones....

post-4-1171148615_thumb.jpg

post-4-1171148643_thumb.jpg

post-4-1171148678_thumb.jpg

OK

I checked a2rinc seller and no short shift kit just now but he does have Boxster manifolds:

2.5 for $285

2.7/3.2 for $490

Interesting. Maybe these are also made by a Chinese manufacturer. a2rinc certainly sells a lot of stuff. I guess the manifolds are for another thread.

I found a German seller called ztefann who is selling what looks like the 'knock off'. He has auctions starting at 1 EUR with no reserve and has sold for as low as 55 EUR in the past. Not quite as cheap as $55 though but he is nearer. Looks the same to me from looking at the photo but what do I know.

• Moderators

The knock-offs are all over ebay. I can see slight variations in the ebay pictures.

I have put in a lot of B&Ms. The first thing I check is the fit of the cup bushings. They are not always "exact" even with a B&M. So, with the $55 unit, the first thing I did was to check the fit of the bushings, just like I would with a B&M and even the Porsche clone. But I have never seen such a sloppy fitting bushing like the one I measured - I could tell with my eyes the diameter was too large.

Proudly made in Asia, maybe. But then I always wondered where the B&M was made since it comes with a tube of lubriplate grease that says made in U.S.A. Like the Germans do not have access to a small tube of lithium grease.

Some more pictures from today.

post-4-1171187145_thumb.jpg

post-4-1171187166_thumb.jpg

• Moderators
TP-

Can you confirm the measurements are 15.7 and 16.2 (appears to be a reflection on one)? Did you measure the pivot arms of the shifter too? Curious to those #s.

Confirm 15.7 and 16.2, but there is also a taper, so it depends on where you measure the inside diameter. I think I will take some pictures of that condition when I get a chance.

Yesterday I did measure the pivot arms, which I call the journals. The brass colored "things" the plastic cup bushings rotate on. Here are those pictures. Sorry for the angle - should have put the camera on the ground.

First pic is the long journal that faces the rear of the car when installed. Second pic is the short journal that faces the front of the car, and where the adjustment set screw is typically located.

post-4-1171226252_thumb.jpg

post-4-1171226269_thumb.jpg

Tool Pants,

Any overall thoughts then on these knockoffs vs. the B&M/Porsche part? By reading some of your posts elsewhere I see you're not always sold on the porsche part being the better, and while I don't mind paying for what I get, I'm not apt to throw money away for no reason at all. Thanks for your input.

Tool Pants,

Any overall thoughts then on these knockoffs vs. the B&M/Porsche part? By reading some of your posts elsewhere I see you're not always sold on the porsche part being the better, and while I don't mind paying for what I get, I'm not apt to throw money away for no reason at all. Thanks for your input.

I just bought one from iA, and I was told it is a B&M. However, given the fact that it came in a bag rather than carded, that there were no installation instructions included, and that the bushings are made of nylon, I think it may actually be a knockoff. B&M uses Delrin for the bushings.

The bushings in this kit both measure at 0.617" ID, and do not appear to have any appreciable taper or concentricity issues. However, I do know that there is a difference between nylon and Delrin that may affect shifter performance. Nylon is hygroscopic, and is not nearly as dimensionally stable as Delrin. Simply put, this is to say that nylon will absorb moisture and change size in response to that, Delrin will not.

Isn't that just odd? I don't know the price differences in the bushings material, but it can't be that great. When such a small thing can make such an impact. Hmmm. I guess I'll stick with the B&M or OEM upgade.

Delrin rod stock is about 3x more expensive than Nylon, and a little bit harder to machine. It yields a better bushing though: more durable, more dimensionally stable.

If these are truely B&M knockoffs, and they have been reverse engineered from a B&M unit, then you could always buy a set of replacement bushings from B&M to get the Delrin ones. I'm going to try that route before I have someone machine a set.

Edited by Andy_M

If these are truely B&M knockoffs, and they have been reverse engineered from a B&M unit, then you could always buy a set of replacement bushings from B&M to get the Delrin ones. I'm going to try that route before I have someone machine a set.

That's an excellent idea. Certainly worth trying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just installed one of the ebay knock-offs and I have to say I am quite happy with it. The gears are a bit harder to engage but I guess this is normal. Another thing I noticed and maybe related to what is discussed here is that now when in gear the lever is not 100% stable - it rocks left-right and forward-backward a tiny bit (maybe 1-2mm each direction). I cannot remeber how the stock lever was, so I wonder if this rocking is because of the short-shift and whether there is something I can do to get it fixed!