Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Painting Calipers on a 2003--What color was original?

I was thinking of painting the calipers on a 2003 base boxster. I came from a restoration background where you repair , replace or refinish as it came from the factory. That said, what is the collective thinking when it comes to a modern day Porsche? My initial thoughts were to paint them black as I assumed that was original but after looking harder at the calipers I am not sure they were not silver. By the way, I have white decals from xenonmods on the way.

Thanks for any input!

Warren

If I remember correctly the finish on my03 (non S) calipers was not paint but actually anodized aluminum, but the dye color was black that's why they look slightly different.

Now that your's are weathered they may look slightly silver.

Al,

That explains why I could not tell the original color. Great explanation--Thanks. Still can't decide what I want to do with them if anything.

Warren

If I remember correctly the finish on my03 (non S) calipers was not paint but actually anodized aluminum, but the dye color was black that's why they look slightly different.

Now that your's are weathered they may look slightly silver.

Al,

That explains why I could not tell the original color. Great explanation--Thanks. Still can't decide what I want to do with them if anything.

Warren

Glad to be of help!

You could have them re-anodized but that would be a lot of work, by nature of it's process anodizing requires that the aluminum be clean and no other materials present, steel, rubber etc. and protect any surface you don't want etched by the acid. This means that you would not only have to remove them from the car but strip them of all attached 'bits'. Probably why most people end up painting them.

The Porsche OEM red for the 'S' and yellow for the PCCB calipers could be paint or powder coating, not sure as I am not lucky enough to have ether of these systems.

The Porsche OEM red for the 'S' and yellow for the PCCB calipers could be paint or powder coating, not sure as I am not lucky enough to have ether of these systems.

Definitely not power coat. The factory S brakes appear to use red paint with a very cheap clear over that. Mine and others' have notoriously flaked and peeled. The Porsche red also does not appear to be "red" red. It has a slight orange tint to it, possibly guards red or similar. The reason I say this is that if I touch up mine with over-the-counter brake paint kits, the red is a little off.

The base brakes are not a gloss black, but do appear to be some very dark anodizing or some other chemical dye treatment. I think the 550 SE came with silver calipers.