Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM2 maps for Europe

I am looking for PCM2 compatible maps that include Greece and unfortunately the local Porsche dealer tells me that the CD-based version never included Greece. Can anyone confirm that the latest CD-based version available does not include Greece?

Given this, I was thinking maybe I can rip the relevant maps from the DVD based version which as far as I know do include Greece in order to build a CD that includes Greece. Can anyone confirm that the 997 DVD based PCM includes Greece?

A third alternative would be to find another manufacturer with compatible maps. Does anyone know of any other car manufacturer with PCM2 compatible CDs?

It is really annoying that Porsche has the maps but does not release them in CD format so that 996 owners can benefit from the PCM navigation!

• 1 month later...
A friend just informed me that the 08/2005 version of the European CDs includes Greece, but only offers limited coverage. Does anyone know what the latest version is for the European Maps and give us perhaps a part number?

Mate please do let us know if you found something... I am also trying to find some info!

Panos

The latest I know is that the 08/2005 version of the European CDs does include Greece, but the coverage is unacceptable. It only has MAJOR roads in Athens and nothing else. By MAJOR I mean Attiki Odos, Kifissias and Mesogeion. That's it!

I also know that the DVD version (for 997) has much better coverage.

What remains to find out, is whether the 08/2005 is the latest CD version or not. Perhaps if there is a later version, the coverage is as good as the DVD version.

• 2 months later...

Latest news from Porsche Greece is that a new map is expected soon (both CD and DVD versions!) that will have much better coverage. I personally doubt they will produce a new CD version, but I will be very very happy if they do.

Latest news from Porsche Greece is that a new map is expected soon (both CD and DVD versions!) that will have much better coverage. I personally doubt they will produce a new CD version, but I will be very very happy if they do.

Michali , they told me that same thing 8 months ago and still nothing... I would be very surprised if the finally produced a CD version that includes Greece but i am no longer counting on that. My brother and i fitted an OEM Navigation unit on my brothers Golf GTi with an OEM European DVD that includes Greece but i have to say that has very small coverage... I think it will take years before we get a dissent map for this country...

If you are in Athens this weekend i will phone you to arrange a meeting!

Nikos.

• Moderators

Hi

There is a cd version update already for PCM 2. A set of 5 cd replace the older 3 cd version, the installation cd is inclusive, but not always necessary. It depends on the PCM 2 specifications, an OPC is qualified to install.

Regards

Michali , they told me that same thing 8 months ago and still nothing... I would be very surprised if the finally produced a CD version that includes Greece but i am no longer counting on that. My brother and i fitted an OEM Navigation unit on my brothers Golf GTi with an OEM European DVD that includes Greece but i have to say that has very small coverage... I think it will take years before we get a dissent map for this country...

If you are in Athens this weekend i will phone you to arrange a meeting!

Nikos.

Niko, there are very good maps for Athens. My old BMW had excellent coverage for Athens and other major cities, and I know for a fact that handheld GPS devices also offer excellent maps. It it a matter of time before Porsche comes up with up-2-date maps, the only question is whether they will release them in CD or DVD-only.

(I will be in Athens, expecting your call :D )

Hi

There is a cd version update already for PCM 2. A set of 5 cd replace the older 3 cd version, the installation cd is inclusive, but not always necessary. It depends on the PCM 2 specifications, an OPC is qualified to install.

Regards

Which version are you referring to? I thought the latest CD maps for Europe are the 08/2005. Do you know of a later set?

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by mpikounis

• 9 months later...

Thanks, I'd appreciate it as I have conflicting information. The PET says it is 996.642.030.02, but one of the guys on PCGB has been told by Porsche GB that it is 000.044.900.92. The .92 number seems closer to the PCM1 disk number (000.044.900.82), but PGB are insistant it is the latest PCM2.0 disk.

That explains it then - thanks!

Still trying to get all of this straight. If I have a 2.0 PCM syystem (2003 C4S) with version 2 software. I can have it upgraded to version 3 software at the dealer (only) to be able to use the 2006 nav CDs?

What is the 000.044.900.92 NAV SYS RETROFIT KIT -- US MSRP $638.22? Is it just software and the lastest nav disks for either US or Europe?

As I understand it the operating system can be updated from version 2 to version 3 by running an update CD in the PCM drive. There is a TSB which shows this, but I am not sure if the update CD for US systems is the same as European systems. The US update CD is $6 (£3.75 in the UK), so no big deal there. I also don't know if it is absolutely necessary to update the operating system in order to use the latest maps. There is also a CD update for the Bose system.

According to Porsche GB, 000.044.900.92 is the latest release map CD set (March 2006), and Porsche are no longer supporting updates for PCM2.0. I have no idea why the US price list calls it "Nav Sys Retrofit Kit", but it isn't uncommon for descriptions to not match the part exactly.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer about whether the update is necessary or not.

• Moderators

Richard

The parts # given by Porsche UK concerning the latest version is OK if the PCM have got the previous up date. They have to check this before ( the PCM can block )

Regards.

Thanks RFM. It seems like the 000.043.205.46 PCM2 update disk mentioned in the TSB is the one used on European PCM, as one of the guys on PCGB has just told me that is what he used to update from version 2 to version 3 of the operating system.

Edit: Having just seen the 000.044.900.92 disks, I can confirm that they are NOT March 2006, but are dated 08.2005. In other words, they are the same date as 996.642.030.02 disks.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

• 9 months later...
Thanks RFM. It seems like the 000.043.205.46 PCM2 update disk mentioned in the TSB is the one used on European PCM, as one of the guys on PCGB has just told me that is what he used to update from version 2 to version 3 of the operating system.

Edit: Having just seen the 000.044.900.92 disks, I can confirm that they are NOT March 2006, but are dated 08.2005. In other words, they are the same date as 996.642.030.02 disks.

did you ever get anywhere with this update? (PCM 2 sofware v2 or 3, car 2003MY) my maps are still from back 2004