Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fm Modulator - Wireless Vs Hardwired

I have an '06 Boxster with the Bose system installed. I want my Sirius radio back! It seems like I am reduced to using the FM modulator for satellite radio installation. Has anyone used the hardwired version of the FM modulator as opposed to the wireless? How difficult is it to get to the back of the factory radio to disconnect the exisiting radio antenna and insert the FM modulator in place?

Thanks

Edited by DonaldLL

No PCM.... just the Bose Surround Sound System. Looks like I gotta use an FM modulator. I have heard the FM transmitter option and do not want to use it unless I absolutely have to. I wanted to use the FM modulator that fits inline with the existing radio antenna. Anybody use this? How do I get to the back of the radio to disconnect the exisiting antenna and add the modulator in line?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
No PCM.... just the Bose Surround Sound System. Looks like I gotta use an FM modulator. I have heard the FM transmitter option and do not want to use it unless I absolutely have to. I wanted to use the FM modulator that fits inline with the existing radio antenna. Anybody use this? How do I get to the back of the radio to disconnect the exisiting antenna and add the modulator in line?

Thanks

I have an 06 and was thinking of the same thing, which inline FM modulator were you thinking of using?

• 5 months later...

Thanks

I have an 06 and was thinking of the same thing, which inline FM modulator were you thinking of using?

Sirius has what they call an "FM direct adapter":

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte...d=1173752921558

As shown on their site, there are three methods to hardwire the receiver to the existing car stereo:

1. Cassette adapter

2. FM Direct Adapter

3. Direct via Aux or line in.

Obviously, option 1 is not available on the 987. Option 3 would be the best, but does the head unit have a line in or aux? Has anybody used option 2? As the poster mentioned above, how tough is it to get to the antenna jack on the back of the Bose 987 system?

• 4 weeks later...
I don't believe that there is an aux in. In addition you may have to get some special (FARKA, I think) cables. Have a look at this article http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...t=117&cat=5 and this one http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...t=103&cat=5. They should give you some ideas on options.

An interesting read, and if the sound is flawless, probably worth the cost of admission.

But I took the cheaper route, first I tried the Pyle direct connect FM modulator, the unit worked but the signal strength to the radio was so low that I had to use 3/4 volume on the dial to get acceptable volume and that was sitting in the driveway, not on the road!

Next I tried the Scosche FMOD01, much better and with a gain control to help with the sensitivity of the CDR23. The sigal was good and the sound was equivilent to a strong FM stattion, not quite as good as a CD. Overall not bad and for the price, acceptable and clear.

I still would have liked line level input directly to the radio, but for now it is a good alternative to the much more expensive system.

• 6 months later...
I don't believe that there is an aux in. In addition you may have to get some special (FARKA, I think) cables. Have a look at this article http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...t=117&cat=5 and this one http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...t=103&cat=5. They should give you some ideas on options.

An interesting read, and if the sound is flawless, probably worth the cost of admission.

But I took the cheaper route, first I tried the Pyle direct connect FM modulator, the unit worked but the signal strength to the radio was so low that I had to use 3/4 volume on the dial to get acceptable volume and that was sitting in the driveway, not on the road!

Next I tried the Scosche FMOD01, much better and with a gain control to help with the sensitivity of the CDR23. The sigal was good and the sound was equivilent to a strong FM stattion, not quite as good as a CD. Overall not bad and for the price, acceptable and clear.

I still would have liked line level input directly to the radio, but for now it is a good alternative to the much more expensive system.

Reading about your installs, begs the question. Did you hardwire the power for the satellite radio as well? I've got a 5 volt direct power supply for my XM radio, but can't find a switched 12 volt power supply to connect to. I've been using the passenger side 12 volt outlet with power supply cord, but that drains the battery if I forget to unplug. Would really like a switched source; any input is appreciated. BTW, I'm asking about switched power supply for my 2007 Boxster S; I was able to find one on my 2001 S. Thanks

Edited by cease

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Sirius installed with the antenna hardwire.I found the parts needed at Best Buy and used the Inv2 reciever. We popped the radio out for access to the antenna lead,installed the rcvr in the cubby hole below the climate control(fits great w/ no exposed wiring) and hardwired it into the fuse box for switched power. Set the FM on #10 preset. Sound is good w/no static and no cutouts here in Las Vegas.Ran the antenna lead thru the firewall and installed the antenna under the wiper surround so it's not exposed.I just have the base radio.

Reading about your installs, begs the question. Did you hardwire the power for the satellite radio as well? I've got a 5 volt direct power supply for my XM radio, but can't find a switched 12 volt power supply to connect to. I've been using the passenger side 12 volt outlet with power supply cord, but that drains the battery if I forget to unplug. Would really like a switched source; any input is appreciated. BTW, I'm asking about switched power supply for my 2007 Boxster S; I was able to find one on my 2001 S. Thanks

Sorry, I don't have a Sirius radio, but that doesn't matter your question is about the power... I know there are a number of switched sources of power at the fuse panel, I have a list at home, when I get a chance I will look and repost.