Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What mods to do first

I just bought another 01 996 turbo and would like to do a few mods. I can only do one thing at a time but have a rough idea of what I want just no order in which to do them. I would like to have the ECU flash (recommendations of company), exhaust (recommendations of company), and possibly the air box by someone. I am new to upgrading parts on a Porsche so any help would be great and possibly some reviews. Thanks for and the help ahead of time!!!!

I have a 03 TT coupe. After studying this board and other Porsche sites I did the following:

Fabspeed medium sport exhaust - I hated the Porsche "baby sneeze" sound. No apparent increase in HP, but a great sound. If resonance bothers you, try another brand. I installed Dynamat sound deadening under the rear upholstery to mute the buzz at 2000 rpm.

GIAC flash - makes a huge difference in power

Air Horns - a real car needs real horns

Brighter high beams

Disconnect key chime

Disconnect lights on chime

Disconnect seat belt chime

Evolution pressure relief valves - the stock plastic ones are a joke

Optima 34 battery

Enjoy your new Porsche!

I have a 03 TT coupe. After studying this board and other Porsche sites I did the following:

Fabspeed medium sport exhaust - I hated the Porsche "baby sneeze" sound. No apparent increase in HP, but a great sound. If resonance bothers you, try another brand. I installed Dynamat sound deadening under the rear upholstery to mute the buzz at 2000 rpm.

GIAC flash - makes a huge difference in power

Air Horns - a real car needs real horns

Brighter high beams

Disconnect key chime

Disconnect lights on chime

Disconnect seat belt chime

Evolution pressure relief valves - the stock plastic ones are a joke

Optima 34 battery

Enjoy your new Porsche!

I went with the short shift kit. Search that or SSK for the debates, but for me it was a nice way to get my feet wet and a great mod - makes shifter feel like the rest of the car - quick, precise, definitive.

I just bought another 01 996 turbo and would like to do a few mods. I can only do one thing at a time but have a rough idea of what I want just no order in which to do them. I would like to have the ECU flash (recommendations of company), exhaust (recommendations of company), and possibly the air box by someone. I am new to upgrading parts on a Porsche so any help would be great and possibly some reviews. Thanks for and the help ahead of time!!!!

Here ya' go:

1. SSK - B&M or factory, no matter ($200)

2. Software - Revo or GIAC ($2000)

3. Upgraded Diverter Valves ($240)

4. Sport air filter - BMC or K&N ($75)

5. After market exhaust - FVD, Cargraphic, Europipe ($4000-$5000)

6. After market intake plenum ($1500)

7. Upgraded turbo hoses ($720)

8. Bilstein PSS9 Suspension kit (+/- $2800)

That's a good start and will bring you up to around 500hp or so. There's a lot more that can be done but this should keep you busy for now. I would recommend against changing the stock airbox right now. Just change the filter. :welcome:

Edited by SurfCityTurbo

Here ya' go:

That's a good start and will bring you up to around 500hp or so. There's a lot more that can be done but this should keep you busy for now. I would recommend against changing the stock airbox right now. Just change the filter. :welcome:

Tell me about the aftermarket intake plenum. Did it make a difference? What brand and where did you get it?

Tell me about the aftermarket intake plenum. Did it make a difference? What brand and where did you get it?

FVD makes an Al intake plenum. It's all about flow, so the weakest link will prevent you from obtaining the most from your "package". Exhaust and intake together will allow more flow to/from the turbos, hence increases effective HP.

FVD:

http://www.fvd-web.com/

Here ya' go:

Actually, when I say plenum I'm talking about what some call the throttle body. The local shops here in SoCal sell one that creates better airflow on the intake side and it costs about $1500. It doesn't create a whole lot more power, maybe 10-12 hp, which is why it is so far down the list and next in line for me. I don't know the manufacturer name other than that they are fabricated locally by a guy called "Turbo Mike". You can find out more by contacting Stuttgart Performance in Costa Mesa, Ca. No, I don't work there, just respect their knowledge. The list represents my plan of attack and have completed up through #5 so far. This is at the recommendation of three local tuners. You can do the suspension mods at any time depending on what your priorities are. My priorities are to finish the engine first and then do the suspension. BTW, I have decided against the PSS9 kit in favor for the JIC setup. It has more flexibility in the different settings available.

Edited by SurfCityTurbo

Here ya' go:

Actually, when I say plenum I'm talking about what some call the throttle body. The local shops here in SoCal sell one that creates better airflow on the intake side and it costs about $1500. It doesn't create a whole lot more power, maybe 10-12 hp, which is why it is so far down the list and next in line for me. The "plenum" I'm talking about is fabricated locally here in SoCal. You can find out more by contacting Stuttgart Performance in Costa Mesa, Ca. No, I don't work for them. The list represents my plan of attack and have completed up through #5 so far. This is at the recommendation of three local tuners. You can do the suspension mods at any time depending on what your priorities are. My priorities are to finish the engine first and then do the suspension. BTW, I have decided against the PSS9 kit in favor for the JIC setup. It has more flexibility in the different settings available.

Edited by SurfCityTurbo

My thoughts are to save up and go right to GT 700. I did the flash first, then intake, then exhaust. We are always looking for more HP. Now I'm going for the GT 700, and it has cost me alot more than if I did this right away. Just my thoughts. Congrats on the new TT

Here is what I would do...Call Todd at Protomotive, Stephen at Imagine Auto, Todd at Evolution Motorsports and Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks. (there are others AWE, Orton, RUF, REVO, FVD, etc). Be prepared to tell them what you want, how you drive, track or not, etc. Where you want to be short-term and long-term. They will provide great advice.

Edited by wross996TT

I agree whole-heartedly with wross996TT. :thumbup: The mods that I did and the order in which I did/are doing them was after talking to my local shop that I trust. As far as headers go... most of the techies on the boards and the german tuners say that aftermarket headers are not necessary until you hit somewhere around 750-800hp. Personally, I'm going to have the stock header welds cleaned up and polished like mentioned on another forum. I've heard great things about the stock headers with this modification, i.e., shaving 400-500 rpm off the boost lag. I should also mention in reference to my original post... the factory shifter kit cost about double what the B&M kit does. I also wish this forum had a way to delete a post just in case you screw up and hit the submit button twice due to impatience. :oops:

Edited by SurfCityTurbo

Thanks so much for all your recommendations and thoughts. I have completed about all I am going to do. I started with the B&M Short shifter, AWE exhaust, K&N filter, Bailey Divertors Valves, and the Upsolute Flash. I drove the car for the first time this past saturday for 400-500 miles and everything works great. Special thanks to Dan @ Vivid and Jay at Brandywine Porsche for all their help as well. Thanks again board members!

Thanks so much for all your recommendations and thoughts. I have completed about all I am going to do. I started with the B&M Short shifter, AWE exhaust, K&N filter, Bailey Divertors Valves, and the Upsolute Flash. I drove the car for the first time this past saturday for 400-500 miles and everything works great. Special thanks to Dan @ Vivid and Jay at Brandywine Porsche for all their help as well. Thanks again board members!

Let me ask you, I am going through the same issues with my 2004 996 TT, I want to do some mods to it and needed some advise.

Why did you choose the Upsolute ECU mod VS other players like GIAC and EVOLUTION??

My car already has an aftermarket exhaust and short shift, I am making my list of goodies.

I have been thinking of going with the EVOLUTIONS ECU upgrade any thoughts??

Thank you

Why did you choose the Upsolute ECU mod VS other players like GIAC and EVOLUTION??

My car already has an aftermarket exhaust and short shift, I am making my list of goodies.

I have been thinking of going with the EVOLUTIONS ECU upgrade any thoughts??

Thank you

EVO uses GIAC (same as IA)...the others are Kevin@UMW, FVD, AWE, REVO...