Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Seems to make sense. I'm facing the abyss. My 1999 996 911 is facing a new engine. It only has 85,000 miles on it. My Toyota 4-runner has 320,000. We just discovered oil in the coolant and multiple flushes don't help. I guess that explains the quart of oil I'm losing every 200 miles. Faced with what appears to be the inevitable, it seems that Porsches owes the people who believed in them.

This is my first Porsche, I was hoping to get another one later. Maybe I should have read this forum before buying it. But it seems to me that if nobody knows about this problem without months of research, the company owes us something. What is the best way to organize a bunch of angry customers into a fighting force that demands justice? I'm guessing it involves a lawyer, a few hundred letters, a helpful dealers, a few good mechanics, some evidence, some videos on You Tube and all the forums. Its a big project, but Porsche might notice. Does anyone know anyone who has done this and can take the bull by the horns? I'm in.....

Seems to make sense. I'm facing the abyss. My 1999 996 911 is facing a new engine. It only has 85,000 miles on it. My Toyota 4-runner has 320,000. We just discovered oil in the coolant and multiple flushes don't help. I guess that explains the quart of oil I'm losing every 200 miles. Faced with what appears to be the inevitable, it seems that Porsches owes the people who believed in them.

This is my first Porsche, I was hoping to get another one later. Maybe I should have read this forum before buying it. But it seems to me that if nobody knows about this problem without months of research, the company owes us something. What is the best way to organize a bunch of angry customers into a fighting force that demands justice? I'm guessing it involves a lawyer, a few hundred letters, a helpful dealers, a few good mechanics, some evidence, some videos on You Tube and all the forums. Its a big project, but Porsche might notice. Does anyone know anyone who has done this and can take the bull by the horns? I'm in.....

The bottom line is what they are concerned about. Bad press is something they want to avoid because if there is enough bad press it will affect their bottom line. I’m sure their bean counters have figured that just a few posts on a few message boards aren’t going to impact their bottom line. So to get them to listen you would need to get the mainstream media to take notice. An article in a national publication such as Car and Driver or Road and Track would make them wake up. That or a class action law suit. It would probably be hard to prove. There are some owners that believe that there isn’t many engine failure statistically. It’s not just about engine failure in the since that major internal parts break (many have) but its other parts that fail i.e. RMS, intermediate shaft, head gasket that necessitate engine replacement.

A question for the group: Does anyone know the position of the Porsche Club of America on the issue? Would they have any data? I’m sure Porsche has but they aren’t going to share that information willingly.

• 2 years later...

well, i've joined the ranks of people who shelled out big bucks to join the dream of pcar ownership and got me a bad engine:( After two coolant tank failiures my indy was suspicious of the stress fractures on the last tank. Pressure test revealed the coolant was disapearing, but no leaks in any other components. Thus, it's seeping into the engine:( with just over 106k miles i guess it's not as bad as others, but hell i've only put on 35k of those. What a **** ball situtation. After I joined this forum and saw all the doom of these m96 engines I was very worried because I didn't stumble across this information while researching to buy a 911. Well, a good year and a half of ownership i guess, but now i"m stuck with a large bill and 4 years of payments for metal can in my driveway. Heres a toast to the blown engine club! cheers:(

It's downright evil porsche would make such a bad engine design and sit on their hands knowlingly. What comes around goes around. Anyway, had to put my parting shot at those bstrds.

well, i've joined the ranks of people who shelled out big bucks to join the dream of pcar ownership and got me a bad engine:( After two coolant tank failiures my indy was suspicious of the stress fractures on the last tank. Pressure test revealed the coolant was disapearing, but no leaks in any other components. Thus, it's seeping into the engine:( with just over 106k miles i guess it's not as bad as others, but hell i've only put on 35k of those. What a **** ball situtation. After I joined this forum and saw all the doom of these m96 engines I was very worried because I didn't stumble across this information while researching to buy a 911. Well, a good year and a half of ownership i guess, but now i"m stuck with a large bill and 4 years of payments for metal can in my driveway. Heres a toast to the blown engine club! cheers:(

It's downright evil porsche would make such a bad engine design and sit on their hands knowlingly. What comes around goes around. Anyway, had to put my parting shot at those bstrds.

Bmohr,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation but I thought I'd chime in and let you know that you have some decent options as of late as you are not just stuck with getting a factory re-man motor. Jake Raby's group and L & N engineering have been working together to put together a promising solution to all of the M96's short comings. I would suggest you contact them to discuss options. They also have options for putting in larger displacement motors so this maybe a hidden positive as you could end up with more power from your car.

Also, Roock does engine swaps and conversions so if you have a 3.4L you have some options there as well. There is a guy local to the DC area that worked with them and had a positive experience with them. He's on this board and did chronicle his experience. His name escapes me but if you run a search you'll probably find him. IIRC it's Paul996?

Hope this provides a foundation to getting your car back on the road,

Pete

sucks to hear your story man i feel for you.

there's still a large contingency of porsche fan boys on porsche forums who continue to deny that these stories somehow represent but a nominal quanitity in the big scheme of things.

i disagree.

the stories are far TOO common in this NICHE communication place to have the engine catastrophies be .... inconsequential.

call me paranoid, but if i had an m96 original engine, without a warranty aka insurance policy, i would seriously have trouble fully enjoying the car.

sucks to hear your story man i feel for you.

there's still a large contingency of porsche fan boys on porsche forums who continue to deny that these stories somehow represent but a nominal quanitity in the big scheme of things.

i disagree.

the stories are far TOO common in this NICHE communication place to have the engine catastrophies be .... inconsequential.

call me paranoid, but if i had an m96 original engine, without a warranty aka insurance policy, i would seriously have trouble fully enjoying the car.

yep. i completely agree and had that feeling before this happened. So whatever, in the end i made the purchase willingly. I thought i was buying the best car for the money(newest is best), but i wasn't. I was originally going to buy a 1991 964, but didn't because the interior was too narrow, and thought the 99 was newer and more reliable. Nope. Or at least, probably not. Anyway, thank you for the feedback guys. I actually contacted Jake right away because I know his work from the Samba forums on wasserboxer engines and have full confidence in his modifications on the 996 engines. However, 15 grand is 15 grand and I don't have it tucked away as of yet:( So, i have some deep thoughts ahead of me. Best of luck to all those in similar straits!

• 1 month later...
That's bad man, after 69,000 miles, it should be a very rare event to have an engine go bad like that. Question how many, well that won't work, anyway, I have 65,000 miles on my car, I ask anyway, how many forum members have this kind of problem after driving the car for 60K + miles. This is not a survey just a quick check up.

mine went on my '99 996 c2 at 56k miles. happened 2 weeks after buying the car and spending another $6k on interior stuff for track days. DE event. mechanic told me oil starvation in the carousel. anyway, car has been sitting for 2 years and i'm ready to get it running agin. came across this thread while searching for optins. can anyone attest to whether a 3.6 is an option with mech throttle?

That's bad man, after 69,000 miles, it should be a very rare event to have an engine go bad like that. Question how many, well that won't work, anyway, I have 65,000 miles on my car, I ask anyway, how many forum members have this kind of problem after driving the car for 60K + miles. This is not a survey just a quick check up.

mine went on my '99 996 c2 at 56k miles. happened 2 weeks after buying the car and spending another $6k on interior stuff for track days. DE event. mechanic told me oil starvation in the carousel. anyway, car has been sitting for 2 years and i'm ready to get it running agin. came across this thread while searching for optins. can anyone attest to whether a 3.6 is an option with mech throttle?

Yes,

I believe you just have to switch out the throttle body. The 3.4 throttle body will work on the 3.6. (But I'm not 100% sure with the mech throttle so I will find out for you.)

phillip

Edited by phillipj

+1, price and experience.

I'm picking up my Roock 3.6 conversion tomorrow. I will definetly let the forum know my experience and give feedback :D

:cheers:

Phillip

Hey Philip interested to hear how your Roock converison is going. How much?