Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Fibre... MOST anoying!

Hi,

Doing an upgrade on my S to fit the Nav TV Ipod interface... all going well till I nicked the fibre cable with a knife! I now have a dodgy connection at the rear of my PCM module. Any ideas on where I can get a termination tool for the fibre optic... please....

Many thanks.

Mal

Hi,

Doing an upgrade on my S to fit the Nav TV Ipod interface... all going well till I nicked the fibre cable with a knife! I now have a dodgy connection at the rear of my PCM module. Any ideas on where I can get a termination tool for the fibre optic... please....

Many thanks.

Mal

Replace the cable, fiber is difficult to terminate

is it one strand? if so just connect the ends and put some tape around. it is optics so who cares how dodgy the connection as long as light goes through. you can try this at home - pull your optical cable out of DVD player or home cinema amplifier and as long as you can shine the light from cable into the hole it will play.

P.s. i realy like HiFi shops selling "Best" optical cables with gold plated connectors - ultimate test of human stupidity

Depending on the fiber optic emitter, the cable quality *IS* important, running a loosely repaired cable will force the emitter to retransmit the signal at an abnormaly high rate...

Maybe you can try shops like blacbox which carry IT fiber optics tools & cables for reasonable prices

or from an electrician doing IT cabling, as fiber optic is widely used in modern buildings

probably cheapest than paying a Porsche Dealer to fix it !

just my 2c

Thanks for the info guys... it is now sorted.

Take 1 x lollipop stick, remove lolly, cut back broken fibre on both ends, insert each end into hollow lolly stick until they touch, tape up, test & thank your lucky stars that the car isn't in to Porsche for a VERY expensive repair. I would like to take credit for this but it was the guys at Nav TV Uk who advised the fix.... it's been done before!

The Ipod interface works really well & the sound quality is fantastic with full control over the Ipod. Highly recomended.

Thanks again.

Mal

£350 UK pounds is the UK list price, they gave me some discount as I am a TV / Audio dealer. Got it direct from NAV TV UK. Works very very well... a few software bugs but nothing you can't live with. I am that impressed that I want to get one for our Touran but they don't make a VW interface. Looked at the Dension gatewaty & that is limited to five playlists... no good.... I have 3000 + tunes on my Ipod..

Mal

• 2 weeks later...