Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cigarette Lighter Removal?

A few months later our local group is filming a silver trim swap and spoiler switch install on Armand's C4S for the DIYer DVDs.

is the DVD out yet? would love to buy it.

• 4 months later...

Old post, but I have a comment to add.

After doing a search for some help removing the lighter port (changed out console panel to carbon fiber) I just wanted to add that you can buy the clear plastic ring, black plastic retainer, and green plastic bulb housing from Porsche for about $6.

If you rip or destroy the green plastic bulb housing in frustration (as I did), you can replace it easily with a completely. If you push the metal cigarette lighter forward, you can get it to pop out from the clear plastic retainer. Once out, you can push the tabs on the clear plastic retainer to pull it out, replace it with a new one, and put the cigarette lighter into place.

Holy Cr*p. I just got my AS dash piece, so I guess I'm in for some bench time. Since I don't smoke and have my V1 hard wired, so I need the lighter for anything? Could I just do this? (with a silver piece, of course)

standard.jpg

I placed the halogen Torch that you see in the Volkswagen Toureg in place of the lighter piece. That is one powerful light for being so small.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Porsche non-smoker plug on ebay (came with the insert). It doesn't fit into the lighter socket so you go have to go through the removal and swaping process. I opted for sitting in front of the TV with my utility blade, removeing some of the plastict in the thicker parts. 10 minutes later it fit perfectly into the lighter socket.

All 8 of 'em! Yup.

After the carving, the kicker to make it look almost perfect is some sand paper rolled around it, and rotate it, up to 220 grit. nice shiny like a molded piece. I should make them and sell them.

Edited by izzyandsue

• 5 months later...
OK, so here's the deal. It's a three step process. First remove the illumination portion containing the light bulb and the securing bracket, two pieces either both green or as mine was the bulb portion green and the support piece black. These are removed by prying under them with a small screw driver.

Next the center portion, aluminum and white plastic piece. This is held in position by two small tabs located in the inside of the lighter, the location where the actual lighter would be placed. There are small clear plastic tabs about 1/4" wide by 1/8" high that require pressure applied to them, one at a time while pushing on the white portion forcing the center or metal piece out of the assy. This takes some time, a little on one side then a little on the other till it releases. After this the clear section remains.

The clear section is again held by two clear plastic raised tabs that when depressed release the clear portion of the assy. And there you have it. Any questions please let me know, I'll be happy to help. :jump:

Thank you for posting this in 2004. I have been fighting to get this thing out and your post really helped!!

• 1 year later...
OK, so here's the deal. It's a three step process. First remove the illumination portion containing the light bulb and the securing bracket, two pieces either both green or as mine was the bulb portion green and the support piece black. These are removed by prying under them with a small screw driver.

Next the center portion, aluminum and white plastic piece. This is held in position by two small tabs located in the inside of the lighter, the location where the actual lighter would be placed. There are small clear plastic tabs about 1/4" wide by 1/8" high that require pressure applied to them, one at a time while pushing on the white portion forcing the center or metal piece out of the assy. This takes some time, a little on one side then a little on the other till it releases. After this the clear section remains.

The clear section is again held by two clear plastic raised tabs that when depressed release the clear portion of the assy. And there you have it. Any questions please let me know, I'll be happy to help. :jump:

That did the trick!! It's those two little tabs that fooled me. You must push them HARD from inside the lighter housing. I placed the white plastic downward on the bench and pushed down as I pried the tabs. Oh yeah, you'll need a medium screwdriver too. The little one couldn't apply enough force on the tabs. German engineers!!!! Thanks.

• 4 months later...

That did the trick!! It's those two little tabs that fooled me. You must push them HARD from inside the lighter housing. I placed the white plastic downward on the bench and pushed down as I pried the tabs. Oh yeah, you'll need a medium screwdriver too. The little one couldn't apply enough force on the tabs. German engineers!!!! Thanks.

What a life saver...... Started to do it on my own, 35 mins later I figured I would hit the forum..... thank god..... Had it out and back in oh....... 10 mins...... Lighter still didn't work...... Fuse was fried.....thanks again.....

• 7 months later...

Notes from my experience removing my lighter assembly (2000 Boxster, same process for the newer, longer lighters from 2003? and newer.)

- Pry off the dash trim piece with your fingers, pulling from the bottom. I did not remove any of the wire harnesses from the switches above the lighter.

- The lamp assembly is on the top side of the lighter. Remove the black retainer clip (closest to the wire harness) by spreading the sides outward and simultaneously popping the retainer upward, all with a small flat screwdriver. It should not take too much force after the sides are spread.

- Lever the rear (closest to the wire harness) of the green lamp assembly up with a medium screwdriver. (The copper tabs are simply spring loaded against the ring.) I thought I was going to break the lamp holder but it popped off intact. Mine needed an uncomfortable amount of force but it is actually pretty robust.

- The metal tube must be pushed through the dash trim, toward the rear of the car, before the plastic ring can be removed. There is a small plastic square protrusion, approx 2mm x 2mm, molded into either SIDE of the inside surface of the plastic, which engage 2 small square holes on either side of the steel tube.

(I colored the tabs black in the mediocre photo.)

You can try to spread the 2 tabs away from each other, working from inside the steel tube, but this did not work for me. You can try to squeeze the sides of the steel tube away from the plastic tube with channel lock pliers. I was unable to twist the steel away from the plastic. What finally worked for me a sharp blow with my palm, from the wire harness end toward the front of the lighter. The metal tube popped out.

- After the metal tube is removed you can easily insert a small screwdriver, from the front (seat side), to depress each of 2 plastic tabs on the top and bottom of the plastic trim ring.

This procedure is crazy difficult compared to your expectations. Take your time, relax, and step away for a few minutes if you are tempted to use too much force.

post-26098-126870555626_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Ray

Yes, only the light comes off (Green items) everything else will slide out the front. I remember there are two tabs to pry back, but you have to pry and hold or they won't be loose. I think I used two screw drivers. Pryed one tab back, held it back with a screw driver and then pryed the second one back. I don't remember exactly where the tab placements are, but they are on the black piece I've arrowed. Just try prying the two sides of the black piece and see if the socket will slide out the front. Like I said previously, there might be a slight turn/twist involved.

My Light does not Work, Yesteday i had it out but i could not get the Green Peice off to change the Light Bulb. How do you remove the Green Thing?

Holy Cr*p. I just got my AS dash piece, so I guess I'm in for some bench time. Since I don't smoke and have my V1 hard wired, so I need the lighter for anything? Could I just do this? (with a silver piece, of course)

standard.jpg

Or buy the Porsche LED flashlight and stick in the hole instead of the cigarette lighter:

51kYcrsukBL._SS500_.jpg

Btw, what's the part number for the bulb for the cigarette lighter?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Notes from my experience removing my lighter assembly (2000 Boxster, same process for the newer, longer lighters from 2003? and newer.) - Pry off the dash trim piece with your fingers, pulling from the bottom. I did not remove any of the wire harnesses from the switches above the lighter. - The lamp assembly is on the top side of the lighter. Remove the black retainer clip (closest to the wire harness) by spreading the sides outward and simultaneously popping the retainer upward, all with a small flat screwdriver. It should not take too much force after the sides are spread. - Lever the rear (closest to the wire harness) of the green lamp assembly up with a medium screwdriver. (The copper tabs are simply spring loaded against the ring.) I thought I was going to break the lamp holder but it popped off intact. Mine needed an uncomfortable amount of force but it is actually pretty robust. - The metal tube must be pushed through the dash trim, toward the rear of the car, before the plastic ring can be removed. There is a small plastic square protrusion, approx 2mm x 2mm, molded into either SIDE of the inside surface of the plastic, which engage 2 small square holes on either side of the steel tube. (I colored the tabs black in the mediocre photo.) You can try to spread the 2 tabs away from each other, working from inside the steel tube, but this did not work for me. You can try to squeeze the sides of the steel tube away from the plastic tube with channel lock pliers. I was unable to twist the steel away from the plastic. What finally worked for me a sharp blow with my palm, from the wire harness end toward the front of the lighter. The metal tube popped out. - After the metal tube is removed you can easily insert a small screwdriver, from the front (seat side), to depress each of 2 plastic tabs on the top and bottom of the plastic trim ring. This procedure is crazy difficult compared to your expectations. Take your time, relax, and step away for a few minutes if you are tempted to use too much force.

Thanks to your post I was able to replace my socket in less than 10 minutes!

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have a little different technique that I use.

I just replaced the lighter in my '01 996 with the USA size assembly in 10 minutes with no tools and no battery disconnect.

Gently pry the trim piece containing the lighter out of the dash. I use my fingernails and a thumb wedged into the lighter socket.

Disconnect power from the white socket.

Carefully remove the black and green pieces by prying the clips open with a small flat screwdriver.

Turn the trim piece face down in one hand where you can support.

Give a smart rap on the white connector with a hammer to drive the entire lighter assembly out in one piece which includes the clear segment and the metal segment.

(OK, the hammer is a tool. Just checking to see if you are following the instructions.)

You're now ready to install the new unit. Mine came as separate pieces: the clear plastic light ring and the inner metal piece.

I simply slid the clear plastic piece into the trim without removing the green and black bits. It will go in easily.

Then I inserted the metal inner taking care to align the slots in the clear plastic. The green and black bits align themselves.

Test the lighter function and check the instrument light before snapping the dash trim back into place.

You can actually do it quicker than the time it took me to write it up.

PM me for the address to send the 6-pack showing your eternal gratitude.

• 2 years later...
On 3/13/2006 at 2:50 PM, Stefan said:

I did this yesterday and there is an easy way to do it. You don't have to push in the plastic tabs on the trim ring. And you don't have to remove the green light assembley to get it apart.

There are plastic tabs on the lighted ring that keep the metal cigarette lighter cylinder from moving in or out. But if you twist the metal cylinder while holding the trim ring, the tabs slide out. The clear plastic sheath holds the cigarette lighter tightly but it is then possible to slide it out. Once it is out, you can get the lighted clear plastic part by angling it slightly while pulling it out. The whole thing should take less than a minute.

+1.  Just did this tonight and it took 1 minute.  Great help!