Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil leak at front of engine

My 1999 Boxster with 60,000 miles has a film of oil on the bottom of the unit where the water hoses attach to the engine and a drop of oil on the bolt that I think is the water drain plug. I took the engine cover behind the seats off and could see oil residue a few inches below the pulley attached to the crankshaft. I could not see well enough to tell if it was coming from behind the pulley. What do you think is causing a leak in this area. You can see the oil buildup in the center of the picture. It appears to be a very slow leak.

post-24-1076652229_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Oh no, the first FMS leak. :huh: You know know about the RMS - rear main seal issues - well there is also a front seal that no one talks about.

This is just a joke. I have never seen oil seepage in that area. I do not know what it is. But oil will always find a way to escape from the motor. If you can send me a better picture I will show it to Peter and see what he says.

BTW that bolt is not a coolant drain bolt. The drain is on the bottom of the motor and it is an allen plug like the oil drain plug. Jeff

You got me!! :unsure: Yes it is the dreaded FMS. :)

Here is a better picture with the oil cleaned away. I drove the car for about 15 minutes after I cleaned the oil up and no new oil appeared. I guess I will run it for a few weeks and take another look.

post-24-1076723927_thumb.jpg

Hi,

don't know much about boxsters, but on a 996 if you've got an oil leak in that area it is usually one of two things:

1) the seal of what you called the "water drain plug" which is probably the oil pressure relief valve. The seal is a metal/rubber seal, costs about a tenner and can be changed without draining the oil.

2) the seal of the oil pump. There is an o-ring that seals the case of the oil pump against the crank case and that sometimes gets hard. Because of the pressure involved it usually makes quite a mess.

Cheers,

Uwe

Thanks for the info Uwe. I decide to subscribe to Alldata.com so that I could see some pictures of here you think is leaking. Looks like it is probably the o-ring. if you mean by o-ring that the gasket is round and not flat. At this point it is a seeping leak. Do you think it will get worse gradually or should I go ahead and replace it before it makes a mess.

Thanks Again,

Mitch

Looks like it is probably the o-ring. if you mean by o-ring that the gasket is round and not flat.  At this point it is a seeping leak.  Do you think it will get worse gradually or should I go ahead and replace it before it makes a mess.

Hi, if it's the oil pump I'd have it changed now. Why don't you go to a dealer and see what he says. I suspect on a 986 you'd have to lower the engine a bit to change it.

Cheers,

Uwe

• 16 years later...

Well, I may have just had the first FMS leak on my 1997 boxster!  Noticed a very small leak...not enough to cause even a few drips on the driveway, but enough to be slightly wet under the crank pulley.  I removed the pulley thanks to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldmfY2lPJh8

1961586726_FMSleak.thumb.jpg.573b1a877e1f536578a6759aeb230a33.jpg

I was surprised that no one else had covered replacing this seal..must be very uncommon...but with a 23 yr old car, anything is possible (like 2020:)

I got the seal out using a limited access tool like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56920-Limited-Access-Puller/dp/B002MCVPVM

I did find some very minor pitting at the bottom of the opening which I filled with JB Weld and sanded smooth.

pitting.thumb.jpg.762c82d74ddb5d667033eb77b6ac307d.jpg

For the installation I used a 2 inch pic fitting and a brake caliper tool to push against the bulkhead forward of the engine...worked like a champ.

1989070591_Sealinstall.thumb.jpg.d1a12ce67a5c5ff26180060a605c69da.jpg890001577_sealin.thumb.jpg.3518a1bb653c41dadd2338a98a3ff34f.jpg

• Thanks 1