Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

oil seperator Q

i have a 98 2.5L that just hit 60k miles

while i was cleaning the engine bay i foind some oil buildut kinda stuff around the J-tube(i have a picture back home, i will post that up when i get back). my Q is this, where is the best place to get the seperator and possible part number, also for the hose as well, and how hard is this to DIY (i saw the writeup for a carrera but no boxster).

if i am correct i shoul dbe getting a lot of smoke, but none so far, i just wanna tackle this before it actually goes bad, and since i saw some trouble on surface i think it may be going bad soon, correct?

i found on this site one for $81. does that sound too cheap? anyone have any experience with this distributor?

http://www.prostreetonline.com/catalog/por...r/oilseparator/

where can i get the J-tube? thx

Edited by djomlas

Probably Suncoast, make sure your getting the one thats got the updated design.

Old part number is 996.107.023.02

New part number is 996.107.023.03

To replace the separator, you need to remove the hose(s) from the top, then the two mounting bolts down the side (I think they have 10mm heads). On the bottom of the separator, there is a squeeze clamp. Use some pliers to squeeze and remove the clamp. Don't reuse the spring clamp.

When you put the new separator on, put the bottom on first and use a new stainless steel screw down clamp. There is a TSB that suggests replacing the squeeze clamps with screw down types as you do maintenance and remove the old clamps. They can weeken after being removed and cause leaks. Tighten the clamp down so it stays attached, but leave it loose enough so it can rotate. Put the two mounting bolts in and finger tighten them to hold it in place. Connect the hose(s) to the separator, then tighten the mounting bolts and clamp on the bottom of the separator.

If you have the time, you should replace the "J" hose that goes in the top of the separator. There is a TSB recommending it since the accordian folds can eventually crack and cause vacuum leaks.

Edited by CJ_Boxster

i have a 98 2.5L that just hit 60k miles

while i was cleaning the engine bay i foind some oil buildut kinda stuff around the J-tube(i have a picture back home, i will post that up when i get back). my Q is this, where is the best place to get the seperator and possible part number, also for the hose as well, and how hard is this to DIY (i saw the writeup for a carrera but no boxster).

if i am correct i shoul dbe getting a lot of smoke, but none so far, i just wanna tackle this before it actually goes bad, and since i saw some trouble on surface i think it may be going bad soon, correct?

i found on this site one for $81. does that sound too cheap? anyone have any experience with this distributor?

http://www.prostreetonline.com/catalog/por...r/oilseparator/

where can i get the J-tube? thx

I see CJ posted with good stuff too...

The ProStreet parts place looks OK -- haven't used them before.

I use "Autohausaz.com" here in Phoenix for the maintenance parts they carry for the Boxster.

Try this Porsche site for the parts catalog:

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/VFMod...pe=MainFrameSet

IMO -- I would call and get to know the guys at Sunset in Oregon to order factory parts. They have been helpful to me in the past.

Also, you might think about just cleaning the AOS connections and hoses and replacing the clamps to prevent oil leaks. The 'bellows' is also a part that fails and should be checked.

You sound like an eager beaver to catch and fix things before they fail -- but there are SO MANY parts to look at... :o

Good luck,

Ed

• 1 month later...

Did you ever replace the AOS? I have a squealing and in the engine comparment have oil right where your arrow points. I can not see an obvoius culprit from the topside. Haven't taken the wheel off and gone down under. Car runs fine. Thoughts?