Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

B&M install QUESTION! ToolPants/Loren, others?

couple of things before i proceed this morning:

-do i have to use loctite or a jam nut on the set screw?

-i read that the set-screw should be towards the front of the car. the instructions don't state that. what is the right way?

thanks in advance

hi Oalvarez,

check this out: short-shifter

I put the adjustment screw and nut in the front like Rob_in_WA, I would believe there is more space for adjustment when needed in the front.

btw. I haven't seen any suggestion of the installs about putting any Loctite on the screw.

I have a question to anyone out there, I have some time trouble to put in the third gear, seems the shifter not to be 100% centered!?!

does anyone how to center that thing or is it do like that at the beginning and get better by the time?

cheers,

Tony

• Moderators

You can put the set screw in either bushing. I put it in the front one that faces the front of the car. After you have adjusted the set screw and tightened the jam nut it would not hurt to put a drop of loctite on the threads. Hold the shift tower up so that the set screw faces the sky and put a drop on the threads and it will wick inside. I have done this on the last few installs. Or you can use a drop of super glue if you do not have loctite.

Tony check your cable adjustment, that may affect the midline position of the shifter.

Oalvarez, here are some pointers based on my experience. I wouldn't use loctite just yet, you may need fine adjustments. The set screw on the new shifter must face towards the front, this makes future adjustment very simple vs complete removal of the console for access. Mark your cables and adjust the shifter per the Porsche TSB.

Please feel free to Email or PM with any questions.

:drive:

Edited by dj996

I think the blue one is ony fo revers?? on mine I adjusted the black one (more than 5 times!!) and ended up just reinstalling a stock shifter and marking the cables using the centering tools (I didnt mark them when I installed the B&M)

• Admin

The blue and black cables have nothing to do with the shifters "tightness". They adjust the cable throw on the transmission. If you are having trouble getting into a gear move the black cable one notch at at time and then test. As msindni said the Blue cable is for reverse.

Tony, small changes in the blue cable will affect how the shifter centers. Mark the cable and then try slightly different cable positions with the blue cable. Make sure you can still engage all the gears and give it a try. This may make a small difference in how the shifter centers, worth a try if it bothers you. As Loren says, cable adjustment will not change "tightness".

thx guys,

but got a bit confuse now, cause Loren mentioned Black and dj mentioned Blue, so could we somehow come to one common color?

ok, my problem is not really getting in the gear but when I shift from 2nd > 3rd gear, few time I got stuck cause the shifter seems not to be 100% centered and therefor couldn't directly getting into the 3rd gear, stuck a bit left to the 3rd gear!

yes, sound odd but that's the best I can describe the situation, so what I need is to put the shifter a bit to the right, much apreciate for your suggestion!

cheers,

Tony

• Moderators

I have put in a few dozen of these things over the years and you all have me confused. Never needed to fine tune it. Never needed to readjust it. We put it in correctly and that is the end of the story. Then you like it or you don't. Then you have problems finding gears or you do not - it depends on you and the way you shift. Put one in on a 6 speed Boxster and the owner could not find reverse. I went in his car and reverse it. Then he was able to find reverse.

The blue cable connector and shift cable housing is for reverse. Black is for the forward gears.

Going from 2nd to 3rd will feel different than the OEM shift. It is not only a shorter throw but you have to be right on the money when you shift.

b_m2_001.sized.jpg

hey Jeff, I totally agree with you!

cause the cables are wires so this means I can only pull a wire and not push a wire, that means you have to have two cables for pulling each other back and forth.

or am I in deep water here?

btw: I don't have the green cover on my MY00 C2 cab either.

Edited by alter_schwede