Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

87 Carrera driver's seat removal

In order to replace a failed driver's seat control switch I must remove the seat. After removing the hex bolts the seat is loose and ready to come out... except for two elec. wires/cables that must also be disconnected (one to the seat motor the other to the seat belt sensor???). One has a connector in the middle but it's design leaves me unsure whether it can be un-attached or is "permanent". It also looks like it would be easy to destroy. Do these cables disconnect in the middle or at either end? Before I repeat a favorite trick >> jump in and start pry-ing on it, I would invite advice from someone who's been there. I prefer "right way first time" if possible.

Thanks Magcuda, good advice. When it comes to taking things apart, especially wiring, I now use a digital camera plus I draw diagrams as backup. This usually keeps me out of trouble. I have managed to disconnect all wiring and have removed the seat... now the problem is that I can't seem to get the connector apart!! It is a split - two part connector and it looks like it is designed to slide apart but of course it is "locked" and won't slide apart until I find whatever prevents it from sliding?? It is tempting to take a wide blade screw driver and start pry-ing but it's rigid plastic and will likely crack. There must be an easy way to "unlock" it. Did you solve this problem if/when you removed a power seat?

so the seat is out of the car or just loose? or are you talking about the seat out and getting the switch wiring out of the connector?

it's been a while but they alway come apart when you don't expect it. I'm pretty sure it slides apart, any pressure on the pins toward the top of the plug will keep it from sliding.

• 2 weeks later...
so the seat is out of the car or just loose? or are you talking about the seat out and getting the switch wiring out of the connector?

it's been a while but they alway come apart when you don't expect it. I'm pretty sure it slides apart, any pressure on the pins toward the top of the plug will keep it from sliding.

Well, the rest of the story: Again, there are two "cables" with connectors under the seat. I am dealing with the larger of the two. This connector combines wiring for both seat control switches / motors. One half of this connector, I'll call it the 'receiving' or female half has 8 holes or ports, the other - male half has 4 pins (4 ports remain empty, note pin to port pattern when dis-assembling as the pins will become loose and can fall out of their holder easily as you open the connector) These two connector components "snap" together by applying pressure straight down rather than sliding together. Once snapped together they are locked in place with small tabs on all 4 corners. The only way to get the connector apart is to pry it apart with a flat blade screw driver on one side. Not being sure about how flexible this connector was, I heated it with a hair dryer before prying on it. Bingo, it came apart without breaking anything. After navigating that speed bump everything else fell into place... switch replaced, seat contols work, life is good. Thanks for your input.