Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

spark plug change on 2000 996

Man............what a pain.

Thankfuly I have a big enough assortment of tools that when one type of tool couldn't fit, I had others just different enough to get into the progressively tighter nooks and crannys.

Since i first experimented with the easiest plug and discovered the rubber "holder" in the spark plug socket clenched the new spark plug so tightly it would separate off the socket extension rather than draw out cleanly, I took a screwdriver and pushed out the rubber "holder" in my spark plug socket. When things got so tight i had to add different lengths of extensions into the holes, I'd put a wrap or two of electrical tape on the connection to help prevent the extensions from separating when I drew them back out of the hole. And it wasnt just a pain dealing with swapping the plugs themselves. First you had to to get into even tighter spots to remove the individual coils off to get to the plugs.......those were just as challenging.

I could simply summarize by saying Porcshe has not made this an easy DIYer, and thank goodness its only suggested every 30K miles!

I wonder what the dealer charges for this service? I thought it was outragous enough for the plugs alone to cost $11 each! I'm sure I could do it again much quicker, but unless they have some magic tool I'm not aware of, it still has to be a couple hour job. At one point, i seriously looked at what it would take to remove the mufflers.........then a spark plug swap would be a breeze!

Removing the mufflers should take less than 20 minutes. Putting them back will cost you at least an hour, maybe two. I have done it twice now, I reckon I could put them back in an hour tops. And if the bolts are rusty at the cat connection end, it may turn out to be real laborious task.

Checking that those cat bolts remain rust free will be a taks that I will perform as often as checking my oil. I never want to see them go rusty again.

In regards to plug sockets. I have experienced that problem too (rubber holder fallng out the tube onto the plug) until I bought a real decent set of plug sockets. Still, what ever you do under that engine it ain't easy. Tiny fiddly areas and on jacks its a real pain in the back/neck. Yup DIYer it ain't. But I think PAG built that in to the design ;)

And if the bolts are rusty at the cat connection end, it may turn out to be real laborious task.

Checking that those cat bolts remain rust free will be a taks that I will perform as often as checking my oil. I never want to see them go rusty again.

That was my exact concern.........rusty bolts.

I was afraid that a spark plug change (albeit a royal PITA job) could turn into a really expensive disaster if i buggered up some rusty exhaust hardware just to gain some more working room.

As I see it, the job is done, the new plugs should be good for another 30K, and with any luck I'll have traded up by then and that job will be someone elses problem.

• Admin

The mufflers are not the problem with changing the plugs -- the problem is the headers. Only two plugs are difficult to get to. Just plain a PITA. Older cars only need plugs every 30,000 and the newer cars (MY02 on) only get plugs every 60,000. I would not recommend taking the headers off to change the plugs -- that would take longer. Just make sure you have the right tools is the best advice I can give.

• 1 month later...