Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trackday Friendly Exhaust Recommendations

Hello all,

I have a 99 2.5 Box, that I have had for about 2 months now. It goes well and the handling is wonderful, but it just doesnt sound like a porsche!

Trackday noise limits are quite restrictive in the UK and I need an exhaust that sounds nice and fruity but wont exceed 100db so I wont get turned away at trackdays. My friends 993 c4 just about passes the 100db test and that sound loverrly so I know i have a few db's to play with.

I dont want to do the snorkle mod as it gets used in all weathers

Any recommendations from other trackday goers?

Get one of these or finder a welder that can modify yours. Should not be difficult to do. I have one on my '02 S and the sound is terrific. This is a stock factory muffler with bypass tubes welded in. Simple, but brilliant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-Boxster-986-2-...1QQcmdZViewItem

listned to it on the soundfile, sounds lovely but 280GBP seems alot to pay for a second hand exhaust! (or muffler as you say in the states) ;)

That's why I recommended finding a welder to do the mod for you. Looks simple enough. If I had to do it over again, that's what I'd do.

BTW, I didn't pay full price for mine. Bought it from a fellow who ordered it for his car, but sold the car before installation. Shipping to the states would have killed me.

Right, did my first track day in the boxster yesterday at Brands... Awesome handling, unbelievable balance, I finally own a car that does not understeer at the first sniff of a corner :clapping:

I still need more noise, and maybe a bit more power :blush:

Sorry Jmatta, I am not convinced by the bypass exhaust, and am looking for an aftermarket exhaust thats within the 100db limit set by most trackdays.

Any one with any recommendations, preferably around the £500 mark (inc fitting)

I remember seeing guys who modified the stock exhaust system (not with the bypass pipes) to make it louder. What they were doing was cutting a slit in the pipe on the inlet of the exahust system where it's inside of the muffler so noise could escape into the first chamber which is acctually the last chamber before existing the tip to make the exhaust louder.

From what I saw and read it helped quite a bit in the sound department from the exhaust. Anybody remember what Im talking about and have that pic? Not sure if it was here or rennlist.

Right, did my first track day in the boxster yesterday at Brands... Awesome handling, unbelievable balance, I finally own a car that does not understeer at the first sniff of a corner :clapping:

I still need more noise, and maybe a bit more power :blush:

Sorry Jmatta, I am not convinced by the bypass exhaust, and am looking for an aftermarket exhaust thats within the 100db limit set by most trackdays.

Any one with any recommendations, preferably around the £500 mark (inc fitting)

I just bought a unit from ImagineAuto Imagine Auto that I believe is below 100db. This is it....

post-9469-1171905643_thumb.jpg