Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am wondering what it would take to convert a standard seat over to a sport seat. Is it possible to just replace the seat backs? The seat base does not look any different between the two units. Apart from that there does not seem to be any more room to have a wider seat base.

The backs themselves look fantastic and I don't believe I have ever seen such a seat in an Australian delviered car. I must admit they do make the car look totally different internally even if their comfort functionality is not different to the standard seats they are a must next time round for me.

Regards

Arthur

Thanks Don. I was hoping I can change just the seat backs. I do not believe it is a viable option to change the whole seat over. Especially with what it would cost to get them either locally or even from the US.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur: The seat back is the only difference between the "sport" and standard seats but AFAIK Porsche does not sell the base and the back seperately. You could ask Gert at carnewal.com if he can provide them though. I would strongly suggest sitting in a car with the sport seats before swapping them out on your car. Personally I don't find them more supportive than the standard seats but that could be because the "wings" hit me right in the shoulders. Strangely enough the GT3 seat, which I'd call a real sport seat, fits my shoulders fine.

Edited by gt3Steve

Tool Pants,

Do you know much about that kit? It looks rather interesting and possible solution ;) I will be giving them a call later on tonight if not first thing in the morning - a few hours time difference unfortunately.

If I were to go down the porsche parts path, am I to assume there is quite a number of parts that form the seat back?

Regards

Arthur

• Moderators

Don't know anything about the kit, but I have seen it on US ebay a few times.

Porsche does not sell the seat back as an assembled unit. There are a lot of individual parts.

Too bad you cannot try the sport seats because you may not fit in them for the reason previously stated.

I tried both before ordering the factory sport seats. I'm big (6.1...240 lbs and I fit more comortably in the sport seats. Maybe it's just all that loose flesh molding into the seat. :D I also found out that the manual adjustments up/down/fore/aft have a greater range than the power seats. Of course they do have power backs.

TP is correct tho. My wife (much slimmer a few inches shorter doesn't like them quite as well.

Tried to take a pic showing the amount of "wing"

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

Thanks guys.

TP - there is no chance I can try them unfortunately and this will probably mean I wont risk the change with the retro fit kit from NR

MSINDI - I read the post where you mentioned the purchaser and that is what inspired me and the desire to change mine.

Don - You are really making the decision tough!!!! Your cab just looks amazing. Absolutely love your interior. I am not too tall 5'11", mainly attributed to short legs. My upper torso is quite tall though. I just fit in the cab when the roof is up and I am in an upright position whilst driving. When I sit next to my mate who is 6'2" I am the same height. At the same time fairly broad in shoulders. But your car is soooooooooo nice with those seats.

I think I will save my money and do other mods at the moment.

Regards

Arthur

I had a 99 C2 cab without sport seats and I used to get back and shoulder pains from long drives (like from Boston to NYC)...with the sport seats this is not the case...I am not old and have no history of back pain...must be that the sports seats offer better anatomical support

OK. I might have found a complete set of Sport Seats in the US for $1800.00 I assume it is a good buy? They are coming out of a newly delivered car and the owner wants GT3 seats.

I believe these seats are not electric? My current comfort seats are full electric, can I retrofit the rails off mine to the sport seat? Or do I simply use the upper half of the seat only? The only thing I am not certain is whether they are heated.

Patiently waiting for the cost of shipping now :)

Regards

Arthur

Edited by ArthurK

that is a good deal for BRAND NEW 0 mile seats...otherwise 1500 would be better

PM LJH996TT on 6speed (www.6speedonline.com)as he did the exact upgrade when he bought my sport seats so he now has full electrical sports with MEMORY!!! (I uograded to full electric and will try to see if the memory feature can be added soon..)

I am not too tall 5'11", mainly attributed to short legs. My upper torso is quite tall though. I just fit in the cab when the roof is up and I am in an upright position whilst driving. When I sit next to my mate who is 6'2" I am the same height. At the same time fairly broad in shoulders.

Arthur: It sounds like you and I have almost the same build with long torso and short legs. I strongly urge you to sit in the sport seats before you buy a set and have them shipped from the US to Oz as I do not find them comfortable.

Don,

The crests you have on your seats. They look like bonet badges. Actually I think they look fantastic. But I am confused.

You saw my post about these coat hook replacement crests I bought on ebay.

They don't fit my comfort seats. I assumed they must be for the sport

seats. Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Berny

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I should really try to get my arse into a set before I buy them :unsure:

Thanks for all the advice it has been great. I don't let my emotions normally get the better of me when making any kind of purchase. It looks like this time I have.

Regards

Arthur

Berny, I just assumed as you progably did that the coathooks were the same on the standard and sport seats. Can't see Porsche engineering 2 different kinds. I don't even know how the ones you have attach. Do they just go over the coathook assembly, or do you remove the coathook assembly first? I think I've got a couple of pics around showing my seatbacks with the coathooks on if you're interested.

SPR, only thing I have left is a AS upper dash piece that goes around the switches. Then I'm done. Anymore and it would start looking "blingy" :)

Oh yeah, SPR, there is one more thing. There is a little gold crest on my shift lever (I have a Tip), which is the only gold left on the car. I'ts less than 1/2" x 1/2" and I've got to figure out a way of making that one silver(it's driving me crazy :angry: ....then I AM done! :)

Any advice would be appreciated! :D

orig.jpg

Without doubt Don, you cab is the most gorgious cab I have seen.

I guess your like me but with more time (and possibly more money....I am running short :( ).

I am obsessed with mods. Younger kids would call it bling I guess.

But me I call it fun in me old age.

But your 996 is bliss.

As for the coat hook crests. They are definitely not made for the standard or comfort seats. Even if you stripped the leather of them you still couldn;t get them to fit properly. I can only assume they are made specially for the sport seats. Basically you have to remove the stock coat hooks and replace them with these crests.

Well today I went out and got some real good strong contact glue especially good for sealing plastic to leather. I ended up cutting off a 1/4 inch of the crest rear mounting tube plastic (where they would be screwed in from behind the seat back). Then I simply used the contact glue. They look great.

seatbackswithcrest.jpg

They look great, Berny! And yes, I do have some "loose change" around, but my wife and I have a rule. Whatever I spend on the Porsche, she gets to spend on herself. That's why I've given up on the possibility of a supercharger :)

That's why I've given up on the possibility of a supercharger  :)

:jump: :jump: :jump:

I have that exact problem. But on all things not Porsche, her taste is more expensive than mine even! Shoes are her thing. She would happily spend

$600 on a pair of shoes! But a supercharger for me would be out of the question.

My next bit of fun is a Sat Nav system. I have my eye on a Blaupunkt DX-R70 single din system. Gee its getting that there are almost as many inline fuses behind the dash than in my footwell!

I've noticed that you haven't AS'd your upper center console. I like that. It makes the interior look tastefull rather than too bling. Ther's a fine line between too flash and tasteful. Your 996 has it very tasteful. Ther's just one thing I would add and that's white dials. That might be my next project.

BTW: this month's GT Purely Porsche mag has a really interesting article on VF-Engineerings 420bhp 3.4 996 supercharged at about $10 Large.