Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

MK2 GT3 Dripping oil

OPKGT3

Greetings GT3 lovers.

I'm wondering if a leaking main seal is a normal occurance on this car?

2004 GT3.....3200km on the clock, never tracked or abused....you can even say it's never driven,

mind you,it is just dripping maybe 5-8 drops in the summer when it's warm.

dealer will warranty the repairs, but i would like to know, is it leaky because of lack of driving or the problem

of design in the boxer motor.

My 965 turbo dripped oil also , but my 964C2 3.8 is dry.

all my P-cars are hardly driven----the 3.8 is a track only car :)

When i bought this car i was hoping i'd never see another wet spot in my garage.

any comments?

Thanks guys & gals

Edited by OPKGT3

• Moderators

Hi OPK.... Well, GT3 RMS leaks are almost as contentious an issue as on the regular 996/7s and Boxsters. Most experience is anecdotal. Some can/do leak and some don't. My own anecdotal experience is that my '04 GT3 with 17K miles leaked once just a few drops after sitting for several weeks...and has not leaked a drop before or since...with street and track miles on it. My buddy's GT3 which is 4 serial number newer than mine, leaked and had the RMS replaced 3 times. Sometimes it leaked profusely after being driven hard on the track. So, I can't say that leaks "are normal" but, they can happen.