Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to go from standard to Bose system?

Hi,

I recently purchased a '03 986 S with 4k miles. It was a steal, but unfortunately it doesn't have much in the area of options. One of the 1st areas in need of improvement is the audio section. The dash speakers and CDR-23 just aren't going to cut it. Being that I'm new, can someone please tell me what would be involved in installing the Bose setup? Would I be better off with an aftermarket setup? Are there any manufacturers out there that make a similar sub enclosure like the Bose unit? Thanks in advance!

-Gordon

• Moderators

You should come over to the next work on cars day in San Jose. There are usually about 20 cars and you can listen to all the different sound systems and see what you like. There are about 5 different subs you can fit behind the seats, and 3 different rear speaker kits. You should also listen to Bose as the people I know who have it do not like it much as it is boomy.

Thanks, I'll do that. Glad to hear there are more unintrusive sub enclosures besides the Bose setup. I know JL Audio doesn't manufacture a stealth box for the boxster, so do any other manufacturer names come to mind?

Thanks, I'll do that.  Glad to hear there are more unintrusive sub enclosures besides the Bose setup.  I know JL Audio doesn't manufacture a stealth box for the boxster, so do any other manufacturer names come to mind?

Techart do an upgraded enclosure

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

You need to talk to Raman as he knows this stereo stuff. He has a 2003 and lives near me in San Jose. You may have to deal with the MOST fiber optic thing that started in 2003. The radio head talks to the amp in the trunk via fiber optics. PM if you want Raman's email and phone numbers.

From the specs you gave it must be the sub that goes under the passenger seat. I have never heard this unit. But I see it on ebay from time to time.

subwofer_underseat_techart1.jpg

subwofer_underseat_techart2.jpg

This is an interesting one I saw on ebay.

stereo2.jpg

This is Henry's sub. He is from San Jose.

sub_henry_s_hacks_017.jpg

This is Len's car. He is from Southern California.

sub_ruck_speaker.jpg