Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Carrera Instrument Cluster Transplant To Boxster

Yes, as long as the transmission type are the same and it is a US cluster.

YES!!

Tip to Tip and full part number is 996 641 224 03 70C Typ USA.

Back to my original question: legal issues if I do not correct the mileage? It is so darn expensive!

1. I do not plan on selling this anytime soon, but I guess things might change

2. I plan on documenting cluster change with pics, maybe with a notary. so I have proof of change in mileage.

3. Change will be about -55,000 miles

4. In April DMV documented 68,000 miles, yesterday I just went through 73k

Edited by LowFlyR

• Moderators

I spoke to Peter and he reminded me that in 2002 Porsche switched to the returnless fuel system for the 996/986. That may be why there is no longer the C2 or C4 designation for 2002-2004. On a C4 with a saddle tank the fuel remaining is calculated, I think by the instrument cluster. But as of 2002 that calculation may be done by the DME.

The problem may turn out to be that LowFlyR has a 2001.

I spoke to Peter and he reminded me that in 2002 Porsche switched to the returnless fuel system for the 996/986. That may be why there is no longer the C2 or C4 designation for 2002-2004. On a C4 with a saddle tank the fuel remaining is calculated, I think by the instrument cluster. But as of 2002 that calculation may be done by the DME.

I guess we'll just have try it :rolleyes:

Thanks everybody, I'll let you know what happens

Did DME version change occur? I mean, if calculation is done differently, version should change, right??

• Moderators

Per PET the 996 DME changed in 2002. I also noticed that PET has listed "control unit fuel pump" for a 2002 and up C4. That is something a Boxster does not have. It is not listed for a C2. I do not know what this control unit is. Might be the thing that calculates the fuel level on a 2002 up C4, and that is why there is no C2/C4 specific clusters for 2002 and up.

I'm installing the cluster now, but I run into a problem. Pin #5 in blue socket is taken, so I cannot install oil pressure sensor wire on it??

Is there a difference between model years? Mine is 2001 S. :help: :help:

Edited by LowFlyR

Green/Red would be the wire to the oil pressure sensor on a Carrera. A Boxster cluster should have nothing there.

Well, there it is. I tried the cluster earlier and it seem to be working OK. Even convertible top light works. It was just complaining about oil pressure ( sender was not yet installed). Oil pressure idiot light seems to be working. What pin runs the idiot light?

The clock is off....

Well, it powers up and has the dot matrix middle display. Wondered if that would work on a 2001 986.

So, what is the story with the fuel gauge?

Time will tell. It shows full correctly now. I had to take it out a couple of times, before I got everything working.

Convertible top light works, OBC works (did not have it turned on before), oli pressure & volt meter works. Let see after couple days how the fuel gauge will go down...

Right now I'm changing the adjustment pegs from my old gauge, then I think I'll finnish up tomorrow.

Edited by LowFlyR

This is a device only on US C4's to reduce the pump pressure at idle. The instrument cluster is coded by the vehicle data section of the under the DME module on the PST2. Depending on what model type and trans type are coded there will code the 2002-on instrument cluster. In other words if you want the convertible top light to work you need to code the correct model type in the vehicle data section and then read out all the control units. This will correctly code the cluster.

Todd

Per PET the 996 DME changed in 2002. I also noticed that PET has listed "control unit fuel pump" for a 2002 and up C4. That is something a Boxster does not have. It is not listed for a C2. I do not know what this control unit is. Might be the thing that calculates the fuel level on a 2002 up C4, and that is why there is no C2/C4 specific clusters for 2002 and up.

Installed and seems to be working :huh:

l_ec0c62b42615aa30b134d11b08ca1938.jpg

l_1f260c5325ba68511dd90156f83e4521.jpg

l_b261994579219e6f023e271dfd1c0bc4.jpg

My brakes need work :angry:

l_d5e6e892a424df6cbf8fd8790c1ff889.jpg

Fuel gauge seems to work :D

l_f5481ccbdac4f3ad46e33caf442a2510.jpg

Oil pressure gauge works.

l_065959433de18f9bc196de7db7b3fb91.jpg

Where are my keys?? :rolleyes:

I post better pics next weekend.

Huge thanks to EVERYBODY here and especially Loren and Whall

:renntech: :renntech: :renntech: :renntech:

Lowflyr,

A couple of questions.

Where to I go to get a cluster? I live in Connecticut so it would probably be internet buy.

I have an 02 S, does that mean I'm not restricted to an 02 996 cluster?

My OBC is not on. If I install the 996 cluster, does the OBC work assuming I install the stalk?

Thanks,

Lowflyr,

A couple of questions.

Where to I go to get a cluster? I live in Connecticut so it would probably be internet buy.

I have an 02 S, does that mean I'm not restricted to an 02 996 cluster?

My OBC is not on. If I install the 996 cluster, does the OBC work assuming I install the stalk?

Thanks,

G'morning JFERR,

Finding a used instrument cluster can be problematic. The internet auction sites can be a source. Or, a dismantling yard can be another source. You don't know anything about the events leading up to the instrument cluster being offered for sale on an auction site. An instrument cluster offered by a dismantling yard is more likely to have been working properly before being removed from the donor car. In any event, it is buyer beware.

During the course of defining this project, nothing has been more difficult than nailing down, for sure, which Carrera instrument clusters are appropriate candidates for the installation. I think, following LowFlyR's installation of a MY04 C4S instrument cluster in his MY01 Boxster (and a thorough check of the parts manual), any MY02 through MY04, non-turbo, Carrera instrument cluster is usable for any MY01 through MY04 Boxster. Earlier, MY98 through MY01, Carreras had specific (and different) part numbers for C2/S and C4/S instrument clusters. This was because of the need of the earlier C4/S to have a fuel quantity measuring system and gauge that calculated the amount of fuel remaining when the fuel quantity was less than about 1/3 (?) full. While the newer C4/S still has an oddly shaped fuel tank, Porsche has figured out how measure fuel using the same instrument cluster as the C2/S.

Anyway, to eliminate any varibles, doubts or possible compatibility problems, the ideal Carrera instrument cluster for installation in a MY01 through MY04 Boxster - base or S - would be from a MY02 through MY04 Carrera C2/S Cabriolet. Obviously, there is a difference between the manual transmission instrument cluster and the Tiptronic transmission instrument cluster. The fact that the donor car was a Cabriolet would insure that the top "in motion" light would be coded in the instrument cluster to illuminate when the top was being raised or lowered. While I had problems getting my top light to operate properly (instrument cluster from a Coupe), others have had no problems.

The OBC will operate properly, and in the dot matrix mode, with the Carrera instrument cluster. I had done the OBC four stalk "hack" earlier, so the OBC had been turned on.

I hope this helps. Feed back by those doing the swap is appreciated. Of particular interest is instrument cluster matchups, i.e., donor car and receiving car, and fuel quantity measuring successes or problems.

Cheers,

Bill

Feed back by those doing the swap is appreciated. Of particular interest is instrument cluster matchups, i.e., donor car and receiving car, and fuel quantity measuring successes or problems.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

I've just completed the swap. The donor car was a MY02 996 C4S. My car is a MY01 986. I did it in 2 stages for scheduling reasons. After having the odometer on the donor cluster corrected to match my mileage, I modified the instrument surround, and installed it in the car. Several days later, I installed the oil pressure sending unit with the extra wire.

On the fuel gauge issue, I had tested my cluster when I first received it. I had 7/8th of a tank on the Boxster gauge, and the same when I plugged in the Carerra cluster. However, when I actually did the swap, there was 1/4 tank on the Boxster cluster, and the Carerra cluster showed 1/2 tank. Filling the tank seems to have resolved the discrepancy. The gauge has been reading as expected since then.

The only issue I have left to unravel is the cabriolet light. I did the oil pressure sending part at our recent work-on-cars day, and Loren connected my car to the computer to try to get the cab light working. He set the model type to the code for the 996 C2 Cab in the vehicle data section. That didn't make the cab light operational, and the software still showed the instrument cluster item with a "?" next to it, and didn't allow any cluster programming. He got the same result with both the PIWIS and the PST2. So we set the model code back to the Boxster code. Since you mentioned having issue with getting the cab light working, do you have any suggestions on what I might have missed. It's possible that there's something defective about the cluster. I doubt that though, since the the gauges are all reading correctly, and the communication between the cluster and the A/C unit is working properly.

Thanks!

Anne

I still have a couple kinks in my swap : :(

1. My handbrake light don't lit when the handbrake is pulled. It works before car is started, so bulb (LED) is fine. Also I need to pull the handbrake to operate the top, so switch seems ok. Is MY04 C4S handbrake light in diffrent connector than MY01 Boxster S?

2. Jury is still out on the gas gauge. It does go down too slowly, MPG seems ok. I'll fill her up today or tomorrow first time. Let see if that will recalibrate it.

I do have some issues with OBC also, but I'll ask those in a different post. My Q about OBC

:renntech: :renntech:

Edited by LowFlyR

Feed back by those doing the swap is appreciated. Of particular interest is instrument cluster matchups, i.e., donor car and receiving car, and fuel quantity measuring successes or problems.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

I've just completed the swap. The donor car was a MY02 996 C4S. My car is a MY01 986. I did it in 2 stages for scheduling reasons. After having the odometer on the donor cluster corrected to match my mileage, I modified the instrument surround, and installed it in the car. Several days later, I installed the oil pressure sending unit with the extra wire.

On the fuel gauge issue, I had tested my cluster when I first received it. I had 7/8th of a tank on the Boxster gauge, and the same when I plugged in the Carerra cluster. However, when I actually did the swap, there was 1/4 tank on the Boxster cluster, and the Carerra cluster showed 1/2 tank. Filling the tank seems to have resolved the discrepancy. The gauge has been reading as expected since then.

The only issue I have left to unravel is the cabriolet light. I did the oil pressure sending part at our recent work-on-cars day, and Loren connected my car to the computer to try to get the cab light working. He set the model type to the code for the 996 C2 Cab in the vehicle data section. That didn't make the cab light operational, and the software still showed the instrument cluster item with a "?" next to it, and didn't allow any cluster programming. He got the same result with both the PIWIS and the PST2. So we set the model code back to the Boxster code. Since you mentioned having issue with getting the cab light working, do you have any suggestions on what I might have missed. It's possible that there's something defective about the cluster. I doubt that though, since the the gauges are all reading correctly, and the communication between the cluster and the A/C unit is working properly.

Thanks!

Anne

Hi Anne,

First, a couple of words about the fuel quantity situation, and I'm assuming you have had no fuel quantity indication problems before and the fuel tank fills completely, more or less, before the filling station pump shuts off automatically. Fill the fuel tank until delivery is shut off automatically. You should have a full tank (16.9 U.S. gal) indicated on the fuel gauge. "Zero" the trip odometer and the average fuel consumption on the OBC. Drive the car until the fuel gauge indicates 3/4 full. Fill the tank again until delivery is shut off automatically. You should have added approximately 4.2 U.S. gallons. Divide the miles driven since you filled up by the average fuel consumption as indicated on the OBC. The result should be approximately 4.2. Repeat this onerous task, filling the fuel tank and zeroing the trip odometer and average fuel consumption on the OBC, for the 1/2 full point (~8.5 U.S. gal to fill) and 1/4 full point (~12.7 U.S. gal to fill). If the fuel purchases required to fill the tank at these points are reasonable, drive the car until the low fuel warning light illuminates (and the OBC requests that you insure you have enough fuel to complete your trip). You should need about 14.6 U.S. gallons to fill the fuel tank. Keep a written record of this information while you are doing this. You might also record OBC computed "range remaining" data to bolster your confidence in the fuel gauge system.

The top light! The top light might be the achilles heel of this "plug and play" project. I rambled on a bit in post #35 about what it took to finally get the light to illuminate. In the end, I think, if the Carrera instument cluster isn't from a Cabriolet (with the top light already coded to operate), the top light can only be coded to operate if it is temporarily reinstalled in a Carrera. This is due to the fact that the Carrera instrument cluster has to "see" a Carrera DME before any changes can be made. That is why you just get a "?" on the PST2 / PIWIS. Tholyoak has kindly tried to help me with the coding dilemma but I have not had any success short of way I have done it. This is what should be done after reinstalling your instrument cluster in any Carrera and hooking up the PST2:

1. Insure the type order code in the PST2 is 996310 for C2 (ROW 99631),

2. Turn ignition switch to position 2 ("run"),

3. If the car happens to be a Cabriolet, open (or close) the top slightly so the top cover is out of the closed position,

4. Do a control module search,

5. Select and open instruments,

6. Select "convertable top" and save,

7. The top warning light should be illuminated, if the car happens to be a Cabriolet,

8. Exit from the PST2 program,

9. Reinstall your Carrera instrument cluster in your Boxster.

The top warning light should illuminate when you turn the ignition switch to position 2 ("run"). (Maybe you know someone in Roseville with a Carrera who would let you borrow it for the procedure.)

One more thing about the fuel quantity system, as it relates to the Carrera instrument cluster: step #1 in the above procedure insures that the Carrera instrument cluster is "thinking" C2 as it pertains to the fuel quantity system. It may be that the fuel quantity sender in the C4/C4S fuel tank does all of the quantity mathmatics and sends a resolved signal to the instrument cluster that is identical to the signal for the C2/C2S - for a given quantity. (This only relates to the MY02 - MY04 Carrera instrument clusters. MY98 - MY01 Carrera instrument clusters are different for the C2/C2S and C4/C4S.) Hopefuly, if the forgoing is correct, no body will run out of gas and the only fly remaining in the ointment will be coding the top light.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Edited by whall

• Admin

Bill,

Just to be clear - Anne will need to find a (in her case) MY02 or newer C2 cab so that I can perform the programming. Since your procedure includes "3. Open (or close) the top slightly so the top cover is out of the closed position," - it can't be programmed using a coupe. Correct?