Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wave at your fellow Porsche owners!

Great thread! Thanks for having the guts to come out and say what most of us are thinking but wouldn't say! Kudos!

I have the same experiences it seems most of you do too. It's rare to get a wave or a look back but I still often make the effort. Funny enough, the nicest person so far was a younger guy in a new 996 Cabriolet which is probably worth 4 times what my Boxster is.

After riding street motorcycles for 15 years, I have seen the one hand wave go away as well. Used to be if you passed another motorcyclist you'd get a nod, wave, etc from almost everyone. Now, even in the same genre of bikes you only get the wave about 30% of the time.

I guess that's why Renntech's Forum is so awesome, it's basically a big wave and a helpful conversation with hundreds of enthusiasts for the most dynamic vehicles made.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sat night, while driving to a friend's house, i waved at and got a thumbs up back from a brand new (paper plates) 997 GT3!

and then driving up another road, i had a Ford GT in front of me, i was able to merge in before him, but i slowed down to let him go first, he rewarded me by puching the throttle!

we chased each other up the road a bit, then he slowed down for some stoplights

he yelled at me "nice car"

i responded "i like yours better"

a great start to my night :)

aloha

steve

2004 550 SE

Great thread! Thanks for having the guts to come out and say what most of us are thinking but wouldn't say! Kudos!

I have the same experiences it seems most of you do too. It's rare to get a wave or a look back but I still often make the effort. Funny enough, the nicest person so far was a younger guy in a new 996 Cabriolet which is probably worth 4 times what my Boxster is.

After riding street motorcycles for 15 years, I have seen the one hand wave go away as well. Used to be if you passed another motorcyclist you'd get a nod, wave, etc from almost everyone. Now, even in the same genre of bikes you only get the wave about 30% of the time.

I guess that's why Renntech's Forum is so awesome, it's basically a big wave and a helpful conversation with hundreds of enthusiasts for the most dynamic vehicles made.

• 2 weeks later...

I never get return waves...

I also have a jeep wrangler, (15 yrs) and you cant go anywhere without giving and getting the wave. Its law! To not give or return the wave in a jeep is just plain embarrassing.

Whats up with that all you non-waving P-cars?

Wave On!

Coming from 6 Corvettes myself, I have a proposal. Forget the Porsche snobs, wave at the Corvette drivers. They'll probably be confused but I'll bet they'll wave back. <Disclaimer... the preceding was a joke>

OK..I hear all of you. I give you this...What is the proper Porsche wave? Is it the beauty queen screw the light bulp in wave? <-- Not recommended unless female. Flat handed left and right wave? A slight gesture from the steering wheel? Or big smile and waving frantically? Hmmmm...

New to Renntech but I agree to all that is being said here, since owning a 03 TT I get nothing from other porsche owners, no wave, no courtesy, nothing.

I have owned two BMWs 735, 740 and always get nodds or waves from fellow beemers.

The attitude has to change so make it change and wave, I still do to each porsche i see, gotta love the car if not all the drivers

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm a first time Porsche owner. I have had my 997S for about a year now and I'm ashamed to say that I don't really have the habit of waving. :oops: I used to exchange some waves and smiles here and there when I drove a Mini but I guess I stopped because as is, I get some "what the hell are you doing in that car" looks from some older Porsche drivers... :eek: Maybe its all in my head, or maybe I feel a bit guilty that I can afford a car like this while most people my age can't. I don't know...

I can say that I did exchange a node with another Porsche owner once. And it was rather nice. But for the most part, I, like most Miami drivers (the rudest drivers in the U.S.) keep to myself.

This thread has been quite enlightening and I will definitely try to develop the wave habit regardless of the looks I get back...

And why not start now... <waves> :thumbup:

thanks,

There are a lot of interesting observations in this forum, and it is a good topic.

I think also too geography and generally how friendly people are in your locality makes a huge difference.

I live in the US midwest and pretty well every Porsche, Vette and even ricer/tuner car I see waves and I wave back. Even many other drivers give me the wave or thumbs up.

When I was just up in Vancouver, BC, Canada...not a sole waves...nothing...there you do not even exist :notworthy: !

Also women Porsche drivers (especially those in Cayennes) never wave; although I must confess every one I have ever seen has been busy nattering on their cellphone :rolleyes: , or to the equally obnoxious woman sitting in the passenger seat!

Edited by NeverFastEnough

• 2 weeks later...

This is the funniest interaction I've had with another driver. This time, a BMW 745 driver and passenger. I'm driving in downtown, heading home from work, nice day, top down (2000 Boxster S). I slowly pass the beemer and have to move over in front of him, so I speed up and move over with plenty of room between me and him. But, he moves up close to me, then pulls into the lane on my left. As he passes by, his passenger (both seem in their early 20's, I'm 60), leans out his window and yells to me, "Hey, your wife called and wants her car back!". And, he slowed down and yelled it out again.

HAHA! He thinks it's a woman's car.

Well, yeah, he was jerk. Funny, nonetheless.

Jim

you could've yelled back, "your grandfather called and he wants HIS BMW back"

:)

aloha

steve

This is the funniest interaction I've had with another driver. This time, a BMW 745 driver and passenger. I'm driving in downtown, heading home from work, nice day, top down (2000 Boxster S). I slowly pass the beemer and have to move over in front of him, so I speed up and move over with plenty of room between me and him. But, he moves up close to me, then pulls into the lane on my left. As he passes by, his passenger (both seem in their early 20's, I'm 60), leans out his window and yells to me, "Hey, your wife called and wants her car back!". And, he slowed down and yelled it out again.

HAHA! He thinks it's a woman's car.

Well, yeah, he was jerk. Funny, nonetheless.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have convinced me to start waving again. I gave it up a few years ago due to no responses, but summer's here and it's time to try again.

I've also noticed it has diminished a lot on motorcycles, but I keep doing it there out of habit. Time to get the habit back while in the car :)

I just picked up my new 2007 Carrera S and it's a beast! I live on the Jeresey Shore and this time of year there are a lot of Porsche owners on the road. I just assumed everyone loved thier P as much as me...mistake. I have flashed over a dozen so far and none have reciprocated. When I was younger I had a few BMW 2002s and those owners were fanatics! Not only did we flash each other but we often ended up in impromptu races. We were young and dumb but man we loved our cars. I'm gonna keep believing that other P owners love thier cars and keep flashing each one I come across in the spirit of the 2002s. If you're "Down The Shore" and see a nut in a Meteor Grey S with a big s**t eating grin...thats' me.

I wave to other Porsche's, there aren't many in my area and most of them wave back. Occasionally, I get a weird look instead of a wave because the 50+ year old guy is shocked to see a younger guy in a Porsche.

The one car I consider over my Boxster was a Mini Cooper S, only because of the atmosphere. Every single mini owner waves to other mini owners, occaionally, they will come an cruise next to you. P-Car owners should be more like that.

Edited by rick3000

I posted this on www.PorscheAndGear.com and thought it was a good reply to this thread.

I drive a Porsche and ride a Harley and I have been waving to others who do the same for almost 30 years. Most Porsche owners do not respond, most Harley riders do. But I am finding that fewer of both are responding over the years.

My theory is that the older vehicles took more personal involvement to buy and to keep on the road. The newer ones (Porsches and Harleys both) take less personal and technical commitment but more of a financial one. They are both getting so much more sophisticated and expensive that fewer enthusiasts can now own them.

I'll keep waiving even if the others do not respond. I figure it reflects poorly on them, not me.

I traded in my BMW bike for my Boxster. The Harley folk were a mixed bag when it came to waving back at german riders- didn't know Porsche folk were supposed to wave! My apologies to those i have missed, and it won't happen again. :D

• 2 months later...
I posted this on www.PorscheAndGear.com and thought it was a good reply to this thread.

I drive a Porsche and ride a Harley and I have been waving to others who do the same for almost 30 years. Most Porsche owners do not respond, most Harley riders do. But I am finding that fewer of both are responding over the years.

My theory is that the older vehicles took more personal involvement to buy and to keep on the road. The newer ones (Porsches and Harleys both) take less personal and technical commitment but more of a financial one. They are both getting so much more sophisticated and expensive that fewer enthusiasts can now own them.

I'll keep waiving even if the others do not respond. I figure it reflects poorly on them, not me.

I traded in my BMW bike for my Boxster. The Harley folk were a mixed bag when it came to waving back at german riders- didn't know Porsche folk were supposed to wave! My apologies to those i have missed, and it won't happen again. :D

When ever I ride my motorcycle I wave at Porsches and whenever I drive my car I wave at bikes.

Edited by spud99

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Great thread, new Porsche '98 986 owner and new to renntech. I know there are a good amt of p-cars where i live and i almost always get a wave. i rarely get a wave with a woman driver, but usually get a light flash or a wave from most in my area.

I hate how people have stopped flashing when cops are taking radar, i remember when this a a common thing, but now i guess people are too busy eating their hamburgers on the way home.

I also noticed that the older P-cars wave the most, also the convertibles seem to wave a lot to, or at least i notice it more.

Keep waving! :D

post-22490-1189388868_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is a funny thread but I couldn't agree more. In the 8 years I owned my Harley (which I sold to help pay for my 997) I can't remember a single time I passed another guy/gal on a harley and didn't exchange a wave. I felt like even though we knew nothing about the other person and may not have had one other thing in common, we understood that we shared a passion for what we were driving/riding and that we were part of larger group of enthusists than just the two of us.

I have trouble believing anyone could buy a Porsche and not feel a little enthusiasm or passion about it. Personally, I really enjoyed my Harley but nowhere near how much goodness I feel about my Porsche.

So wave on people! We share this appreciation and should not be affraid to show it!

• 1 month later...

I truly love this post! I didn't read all of them but got the gist early and often.

I haven't owned a P-car for about 14 years until recently with my 996 and I started "blinking" like we used to do and NO ONE blinked back, so I have stopped. I figure it is the new owners who have bought without the sense of tradition as us old owners (my 4th 911). If they don't know why the ignition is on the left then they won't wave or blink.

I will start blinking again, for me. Like holding open a door and the stranger doesn't say thanks, I'll keep doing it.

Maybe we can get it going again! I'm up for it.

Gary