Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front Spoiler Rivets

ltcjmramos

Hi Guys

My front spoiler is loose, and pops off easily. Did a 140 mph run a couple of weekends ago, and it came very loose. I need to secure it much better.

A couple of places different type of rivets are recommended for attaching the front spoiler. On Rennlist, Viperbob recommended the OE part 999 507 427 40, and someone cited a NAPA p/n 665-2388. Do you prefer one over the other?

I have a bag of 999 507 497 40. Are these the standard rivets?

Also, because a reinforcing bar tore out, and made some of my holes bigger, I need to drill a few holes to accommodate new locations for rivets. The holes look to me to be between 5/16" and 3/8". I assume these would be "metric" holes, so 8 mm. Can you confirm, please?

• Moderators

Howdy.... Welcome to Spoiler Lip Club!! We rip 'em off and we stick 'em back on. They are amazingly tough, though. My last rip off was caused by an insufficiently ironed-out racoon in the middle of the road. My lip ripped totally off, I ran over it (and the racoon) and the lip bounced over into a farmer's field. It does fit behind the seats of a GT3, BTW. There are three rivets part numbers and I've used them all:

Street car lip rivets: 999 507 427 40

Cup car lip rivets: 999 507 557 40

General push rivets: 999 507 497 40 These can work, they also hold front fender liners in and brake duct front ends on.

Any of these can locate the lip. I'm not sure of hole size. You want them to fit snugly.

The key to keeping the thing on the car (barring parking bumpers and racoons), is the double sided foam sticky tape. When the factory puts on a lip they use sticky tape part number 000 043 206 04. This is also used to hold some exterior parts on Cayennes. When the factory ships GT3's to the US, it leaves the lip install to the delivering dealer who may not use the mounting tape provided. It's a 3M pressure sensitive, double sided foam tape about 5/16ths wide and dark red in color. Without the tape, the lip-to-bumper joint will accumulate lots of small rocks/sand that will eventually pry the joint open enough so that at speed, it can be torn off just by the air pressure.....that's definitely NOT when you want it to come off.

My method: Clean up both the bumper and lip joining faces with scrapers, adhesive solvent, whatever it takes to get two clean mounting faces. Apply one or more strips of the mounting tape as far forward (toward the incoming air stream) as possible. This will minimize the amount of sand/gravel that can jam in there. Press it on with the rivets locating it on the bumper. The tape does more to hold it on than the rivets ever do. Once I found the factory tape, I headed to my local hardware store and got similar 3M mounting foam tape. It's the strongest holding of the various types of mounting tape that 3M offers. I use a lot of it.

Many Cup Car racers then use a strip of racer's tape on the lip to bumper joint to prevent further road junk from jamming in there.

BTW, if you trash or lose the stock lip, you can replace it with the similar Cup Car lip for about half the price. It's part number 996 505 986 91.