Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I don't like the sound of this!

Well, I have around 40K on my 2003 C4S and I've noticed a very ugly sound coming from my engine after stopping at a light and then going. Just as I let out the clutch in a normal manner, I can hear my engine ratting like it's lugging and I swear I can hear the valves chattering until higher RPMs are reached. This only happens at low RPMs when starting to roll from a complete stop. I don't feel any vibration thru the clutch pedal or thru the steering wheel when this happens. It sort of sounds like a diesel at idle or those dreaded dieseling engines on older cars that aren't in good shape when stopping the engine. I've already had my RMS changed at 18k miles and I had them put a new clutch in while they were at it. I'm also going to have my RMS replaced again because of another leak. So, what do you think this could be? Valves acting up or a clutch chattering away? Need some input so I can be educated about this before I present my case to my dealer.

TIA! :huh:

Well, I have around 40K on my 2003 C4S and I've noticed a very ugly sound coming from my engine after stopping at a light and then going. Just as I let out the clutch in a normal manner, I can hear my engine ratting like it's lugging and I swear I can hear the valves chattering until higher RPMs are reached. This only happens at low RPMs when starting to roll from a complete stop. I don't feel any vibration thru the clutch pedal or thru the steering wheel when this happens. It sort of sounds like a diesel at idle or those dreaded dieseling engines on older cars that aren't in good shape when stopping the engine. I've already had my RMS changed at 18k miles and I had them put a new clutch in while they were at it. I'm also going to have my RMS replaced again because of another leak. So, what do you think this could be? Valves acting up or a clutch chattering away? Need some input so I can be educated about this before I present my case to my dealer.

TIA! :huh:

I would have to say throw out bearing.

Oh Yea I feel for you having to go through all that.

Edited by ViolaGT3

Typical throwout bearing problems will be louder when pedel is depressed and definately change when pedal is released. You need to isolate the noise as to whether it is from engine or the bellhousing. If it is in the bellhousing, most likely a broken spring on the flywheel. This happens at times and can make a hell of a racket as the flywheel is not as tight as it should be and the spring is rattling because one side is not connected. If it is the engine, it could be valves otr the intermediate shaft or any number of other things.

Find out from where the noise is coming from and let us know.

Typical throwout bearing problems will be louder when pedel is depressed and definately change when pedal is released. You need to isolate the noise as to whether it is from engine or the bellhousing. If it is in the bellhousing, most likely a broken spring on the flywheel. This happens at times and can make a hell of a racket as the flywheel is not as tight as it should be and the spring is rattling because one side is not connected. If it is the engine, it could be valves otr the intermediate shaft or any number of other things.

Find out from where the noise is coming from and let us know.

Sound only happens when releasing clutch to go, not when car is idling.

I'd be interesting in knowing as well. My 2001 C2 with 67k miles makes the same sound. Unfortunately I've only had the car for about a month and I didn't notice the noise up until now.

Please let the paranoia begin ... :D I hate how I seem to notice *all* of the noises and wish that I could go back to being blissfully ignorant. I've got 120k+ miles on mine and don't notice that sound or any lugging.

Are you sure that you aren't lugging the engine by not giving her enough gas and clutch slip at start? Is this problem occuring in all gears or just in First? I think we need more information to offer more potential causes.

Please let the paranoia begin ... :D I hate how I seem to notice *all* of the noises and wish that I could go back to being blissfully ignorant. I've got 120k+ miles on mine and don't notice that sound or any lugging.

Are you sure that you aren't lugging the engine by not giving her enough gas and clutch slip at start? Is this problem occuring in all gears or just in First? I think we need more information to offer more potential causes.

I won't deny that I'm likely being paranoid. I just took the car for a spin and since it's fairly quiet out, I did notice it going from 2nd to 3rd as well (almost a dieseling sound). Performs great 3rd through 6th.