Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing Carbon Canister In Front Fender

The locking gas lid is not working on my Boxster (I think the plunger just came out of the bracket. So I'm trying to fix this.

I got almost there to be stoped by the Carbon Canister. I wanted to know how to remove it. There is one nut attaching one side but I can tell there is either another nut to be removed or a tab.

Has anyone ever removed the Carbon Canister? Please let me know how.

Thanks in advance.

I have not remove it. I talked to a mechanic that has and he said it is a bit of a pain.

Any idea where I can find instructions. I've searched the web. I've also looked at the Boxster Technical Manual and found the only reference in Volume 5 for "Removing and Installing the Wing" which is the front passenger fender. Those instructions don't really show the canister is just states that the wheel liner and the carbon canister must be removed before the fender can be removed.

I'm stuck!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Waiting to see how Loren made out with Chuck's car!

I'm also waiting. If you look at my other post - RFM from Belgium thinks that the canister is held in by rubber grommits and the single bolt on the side.

But we will see - :)

Edited by rockymount1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
Waiting to see how Loren made out with Chuck's car!

I'm also waiting. If you look at my other post - RFM from Belgium thinks that the canister is held in by rubber grommits and the single bolt on the side.

But we will see - :)

Chuck Jones and I did this last Thursday. Chuck took lots of pics so I will write up a DIY soon.

See some of my comments here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished replacing the emergency pull for the fuel filler cap locking solenoid.! What a PITA!

The simplest things sometimes bite ya. I had the most trouble releasing the hoses from the canister. Squeezing the grey "buttons" on the connectors was easier said than done, especially on the smallest of the 3, since there's BARELY room to get your fingers in to any of them. :cursing:

It was nice to know that once the single hold-down bolt was removed for the canister, that I could just reef on the canister to get it out. I suggest leaving the bottom rubber on the canister, and the top one in the hole in the body.

Getting the two Torx screws on the locking solenoid released and tightened is also a PITA, but doable. I followed Chuck and Loren's suggestion of using a #20 bit with a small wrench, but I used the closed end, as I found it easier, once I had the bit on the screw, to keep my finger on the end of the bit and move the wrench down to the thinner end when I had to move it at the end of a rotation. Lots of dropped bits, that's for sure. If there's a ratchet out there for driver bits, it would make this job a lot easier.

All because of a cheesy little plastic pull cord.

All in all, it probably took me about 3 hours. As usual on a DYI, it feels good when you're done (and the car still works)! :thumbup:

Norm

01 Boxster, 5 spd, Seal Grey