Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

This morning I drove my 99 C2 to my office and when I parked the car I notice water dripping from below, after checking closer it seems coolant is leaking from a water hose/water pump location under the car, a friend told me that I need to replace the water pump, cost & parts quoted $700.00

Does this sounds right and is the water pump replacement hard to do on a Carrera.

Thanks

Went to the dealer this morning for a second opinion, again they said that a I need a new waterpump, The collection Porsche quoted me 5 hrs work plus parts, for a grand total of $1050.00 plus tax, another independant quoted me $800.00 plus tax, I am thinking going with the dealer, at least I know I have a warranty on the work if something related happens. What you guys think.

Well, Izzy maybe in Miami we all suffer from dollaritis, where the value of the dollar is half than anywhere else in the nation, I went to Vertex and they want $800.00 plus tax, Promotive wants $750.00 plus tax, and the collection $1,000 bucks, I guess I ma going to pay the 1K and enjoy the plush mats, free rental and as many expressos as I can indulge for the next day or so, while I test drive 997 turbo's, 997 S and maybe a nice red Scaglietti.

Thanks for the feedback, this is truly agreat forum

• 2 years later...
Well, Izzy maybe in Miami we all suffer from dollaritis, where the value of the dollar is half than anywhere else in the nation, I went to Vertex and they want $800.00 plus tax, Promotive wants $750.00 plus tax, and the collection $1,000 bucks, I guess I ma going to pay the 1K and enjoy the plush mats, free rental and as many expressos as I can indulge for the next day or so, while I test drive 997 turbo's, 997 S and maybe a nice red Scaglietti.

Thanks for the feedback, this is truly agreat forum

Can you get me a contact at Promotive? Where are they? i am trying to find them for an ECU program. thanks.

I bought a barnd new OEM waterpump with the gasket, in the Porsche box for about $100 on ebay, just watched for one to come up. You can get them all day for $100-$300, both OEM and aftermarket, both on ebay (there are probably 1/2 dozen listed now) or just do a google search, check automotion, Pelican etc. It si a few hours labor to install, kind of a pain, there are several write-ups/DIY on how to do it. If you go to a dealer (stealer) you are going to pay full price for the pump, which is $228 so be careful, you may pay more on-line

I installed a new one after failure, following the DIY in this board. Bought it at soncoast or sunset, do not remember. If you want to save money, it is very simple to change, it just takes a bit of time. I did not know what I was doing and it only took me 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
I installed a new one after failure, following the DIY in this board. Bought it at soncoast or sunset, do not remember. If you want to save money, it is very simple to change, it just takes a bit of time. I did not know what I was doing and it only took me 2 hours.

I did this one myself on a 2000 C2. Part prices mentioned above seem correct. This was last year, and I remember that getting to one of the 5 or six bolts that attach the pump to the block is a real pain to get to...

JP

• 2 weeks later...

Just the replaced the waterpump and wanted to share my experience with the group. I've had my suspicions in the hot weather lately that something is not right and that i was getting an occaisional squeal. My independent confirmed that the bearing was loose.

So using all the DIY's etc and reading other comments, probably took me 4 hours, the only problem was getting to the one awkward bolt and getting the pump out of the small gap. The bearing was only noticeably loose, but parts of the plastic fins had broken off.

First thing i noticed is that the engine/clutch seemed very smooth, i was no longer getting a clanking noise when changing gear or pulling off( which i had prviously put down to the clutch, and was matching the revs when changing gear). I have had this since buying the car at 60K, i now have 67K.

So i will speculate that the pump was somehow siezing/slowing and dragging on the belt as i was pulling off, or changing gear. All in all i'm very happy with the new waterpump and unexpected results!

Darren

99 C2 Coupe 67K