Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997's and RMS problems?

Hey everyone, great site. I have read in Excellence that 996's had RMS problems, which if I remember correctly were described as rear main seals or something like that. I had a 996 (bought with 5 miles or so on it and like others who bought new did not burn any oil in 4 years and 15,000 miles) -- no RMS problems -- nothing wrong with the car at all. The most reliable car I have ever owned, though 15,000 miles is not very many miles.

My question is: have 997's been having these RMS problems that Bruce Anderson talks about in Excellence? Am thinking about a used 997 or used 996.

Many thanks in advance and your indulgences if I have not described this adequately, more so if this is a well discussed problem here. I am so new I do not yet know my way around here just yet.

My manual 6-speed Porsche experience is w two 96 993's, a C4 and C4S. I found it took of in traffic better in 2nd than 1st and around town I used 3rd as "drive" I NEVER used 6th, the motor doesn't like it

Some people like to put lower, European gears into the US boxes but the Euro 1st is or was a stump puller

All questions are good questions - how else do we learn, I never stop.

Drive safely, If you do PCA driver's ed with an instructor you will benefit. You should reach a point with eyes on the road that you shift by sound and feel, at one with the machine, and cruise around in the sweet spot between 3-4k revs....

David

www.fractional-supercars.com

93 964 C2 Cab

Looking for low mileage 964/993 Turbo with pedigree an service history

Hey everyone, great site. I have read in Excellence that 996's had RMS problems, which if I remember correctly were described as rear main seals or something like that. I had a 996 (bought with 5 miles or so on it and like others who bought new did not burn any oil in 4 years and 15,000 miles) -- no RMS problems -- nothing wrong with the car at all. The most reliable car I have ever owned, though 15,000 miles is not very many miles.

My question is: have 997's been having these RMS problems that Bruce Anderson talks about in Excellence? Am thinking about a used 997 or used 996.

Many thanks in advance and your indulgences if I have not described this adequately, more so if this is a well discussed problem here. I am so new I do not yet know my way around here just yet.

The RMS issue has probably been discussed ad nauseum. However, it seems to be rare in any 996 from 2003 onward. Since most pre-2003 cars either never had the problem or have been repaired, it is fairly likely that you wouldn't see an RMS problem in a pre-2003 you might buy. Thus, purchasing a used vehicle is more a matter of assessing its condition & prior treatment (like any other car).

This has been covered here.....a lot. Anyways, the new seal has proved to be pretty much stone cold reliable. All 997s with the exceptions of the early 05s have the new seal. That being said, I would buy a 997 regardless. Even if it has the old style seal you'll be under warranty for close to 3 more years so if it does leak, make an appointment at the dealer and pick you car up the next day with the new seal.