Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's your mileage?

I really don't want to stray from the original topic of this post, but I'll briefly say that I had p1123 code only. Battery disconnect didn't work, got CEL after 1 mo. Checked AOS -> no apparent leak or crack. I didn't check EVAP purge valve, didn't check fuel injectors and I don't know how I would without taking it to a mechanic. Cleaned MAF today thoroughly with contact cleaner and reset DME as per workshop manual. Will see what happens.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003 C2 - 18k miles

Only problems was a bad amp. & both idler pulleys replaced under warranty.

I replaced the battery, but other than that no problems.

New rear tires at 17k.

I just started to drive it daily to work so the miles will increase dramatically.

No leaks, no scuffs, immaculate car.

2003 C2 - 18k miles

Only problems was a bad amp. & both idler pulleys replaced under warranty.

I replaced the battery, but other than that no problems.

New rear tires at 17k.

I just started to drive it daily to work so the miles will increase dramatically.

No leaks, no scuffs, immaculate car.

1999 C4 Cab Tip 40k miles. The original owner used to drive it every two to four weeks, not good for a car in my opinion. It ran quite well when I bought it, but even better when I drove it 3 to 4 times per week. I really think it's good to drive a car like this at least every other day, if possible. Coolant Tank cracked, rear plastic window became hazy and was replaced, and that's it for problems since new. No RMS leaks, or leaks of any kind, great car. Still learning how to master the Tiptronic. Driving stick is way easier believe it or not (with TIP when you turn the steering wheel 180 degrees in a sharp turn, the "plus" and "neg" shift buttons are opposite to normal, and taking eyes of road with 200 yard drops off side of road is not a good idea). I'll figure it out eventually, but anyone that says Tip is easy to drive, hasn't driven one. Stick is easier (I drove stick on every sports car prior to this one).

• 2 months later...

1999 996 C4, 57k miles, owned it since 28k.

No service records from before 28k, but since I've owned it, I've done basic maintenance, and fixed a couple of oil leaks on bank 2.

Current problem: requires new bank 2 cam adjusters, originals are "sticking". (Huh?) Requires removal of engine, remove bank 2 cyl head, and replacement of cyl head VarioCam parts on bank 2. Job is 11 hours labor, $750 in parts. Ouch! Shouldn't need this kind of work at this low mileage.

I drive the car every day, or at least every other day, all year long. This probably contributes to the fact that I have no RMS leak.

Fuel mileage is about 19-20 mpg around town, about 28 mpg on highway @ 78 mph. I can get 32-33 mpg if I set the cruise to 70-72 mph.

2004 GT3 12,500mls

Half track, half street. Three sets of tires, wore out front rotors, three sets of pads. Doesn't burn a drop of oil, no faults. Just change oil every 3000mls, coolant at 10000mls, brake fluid change at 10000mls, Clutch perfect, engine purrrrrs........25 highway, 15 street, 8 mpg at the track. Very happy car.

Edited by inverterman

2002c2 with 89,000 miles. motor just dynoed 341 hp. No RMS issues & the car burns no oil. I am advised that the 3.6 motor has solved the RMS issue. Also as far as I can tell, original clutch with a lot of meat still left.

I have a friend who runs his supercharged 99 996 on the track...he bought it with about 65K miles on it and now has 95,000 miles on it....most of which has been hard track miles. He drives it like its stolen and is quite competitive. Granted, he's got a lightweight flywheel and the best suspension you can buy and runs track tires....but he also drives it on the street. My only point to all this is that it's a standard original 3.4litre engine that was supercharged around 36K miles and has been performing flawlessly since then.

That's the sort of positive feedback I like to hear about these engines. I jokingly asked him if he thought there was any merit to the discussions that these engines like to be driven hard and survived better being maxed out....sort of like giving animated qualities to an inanimate object. I told him that it might be that the engines were mechanical masochists that thrived better on being driven hard as opposed to babied.

2002 cab 29,000 mile daily driver

transmission recall (previous owner)

rms x 1

cab top motor replaced

passenger seat frame replaced ( loose)

interior rattles (felt tape)

oil pressure gage replaced

air bag light reset

cab top pin guides replaced

rear wing motor replaced ( squeeking)

lug nuts replaced (rusting)

Upgrades - X74 suspension ( love it)

clear side markers

All in all would have thought an $85,000 car would have fewer problems, but still love it and it hauls ***

My 1999 C2 6 speed coupe has 71,000 total miles but only 2000 on the engine. I had an intermix problem caused by either a crack cylinder head or blown head gasket and had to have the engine replaced. Very aggravating at the time but I got a new remanufactured engine with a two year unlimited mileage warranty.

I agree it would be great to have a data base on the 996. It would be interesting to see how many engine failures would be reported. ;) :renntech:

I just got the news of a cracked cylinder head. 61k miles on a 99 C2 Cab. New engine from Autofarm in the UK with Silsleeve cylinder liners.

With the dollar at $2 to the £ the cost looks scary - $20k!!!! Not amused.

99 C2 45,500 mi. 3rd owner. rms fixed by original owner under warranty. All records all receits. Purchased from Champion Porsche new. Car has been tracked by all owners including me. Guards red-black interoir. Full areo. Eibach springs with Champion logo stamped on them, whatever that means. 19" Champion RG5 monolites. M9601 oil pump kit upgrade. Phoenix Perfomance high flow cats and mufflers. K&N cold air intake. Rennline pedal kit w/passenger footboard. Superblue brake fluid. Braided stainless steel brake lines. Pagid yellows. Painted center console. Fire extinguisher. I consistently drive it hard, especially on the track. I bought it at 37,700. This car is in excellent condition. You would never know it had been tracked. I had to have the steering rack replaced shortly thereafter(38,300). The seal on the left side was leaking. The dealer told me this was highly unusual. I also had to have two new key fobs reset so the remote lock would work, but they were broke when I bought the car. I added the K&N cold air kit. I have had a CEL numerous times and would clean it with CRC maf cleaner. This worked until the 3rd cleaning and it hasn't gone off since. The filter is pre-oiled from the K&N factory and it's simply too much oil. I thoroughly washed it out and did not re-oil it. The CEL still didn't go out. I'm going into the dealer for the 45k maintence in 5 days and I am gonna have them check it. Other than that I have had no problems with the car and I love it. It is my 1st Porsche. As one of the previous members had stated, he believed that the cars should be driven hard and not babied. I subscibe to that mindset. I stick to what the owners manual says about minimum gear speeds. I never load the engine hard in a tall gear at low revs. I shift 1st at 3-4k revs and all other gears at 4000. If I get behind a slowpoke I'll downshift so that my cruising revs are at least above 2500. In 6th gear at 75 mph on the highway is around 3000 revs. That tells me I'm thinking in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

i have a 99 996/cabrio, 75,000 miles. i have done all my own maintenance on this car, replaced clutch at 60,000 miles, was not needed yet, replaced plugs 2 x, brakes & rotors 2 x, & all normal maintenance. i have had no problems with this engine other than burning up a couple of coils. i keep seeing post about only getting 100,000 miles on these engines, i find that hard to believe. you can get 200,000, 250,000 miles on any engine if taken care of, sure things wear out as they are suppose to. all it takes is common sense & paitence & you can fix almost anything. this car is a daily driver & runs perfect.

1999 Carrera C2 Cabriolet with Total Main dealer History all services etc oil to factory spec. Never tracked.

Blew the head at 61k miles. Cracked head, new engine at £11k - yes 11 thousand UK from Autofarm.

What did Porsche GB say......things wear out and break, tough ****.

Here's two nice pictures of the crack in the cylinder head.

Now how did that happen?

post-643-1192358474_thumb.jpg

post-643-1192358502_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

2000 C2 tip 134000 miles daily driver

i would say just regular Maintanace

5/10/06 Oil Change 102500 Miles

7/28/06 Altonator $300 and $60 Belt Tensioner

9/26/06 Paid off Loan

10/8/06 Oil Change 110500 Miles 9.3q $70

11/4/06 Back tires 265/35/18 Kumho ECSTA $300

2/1/07 Front Brakes 115000 Miles $350

2/22/07 Front tires Kumho ECSTA 116500 Miles

3/17/07 Oil Change 117500 Miles 9.3q $70

6/7/07 K & N Fileter 120,000 $450

10/1/07 Oil Change 125500 Miles 9.0q $70

10/31/07 Nexen N3000 Tires for rear 127000 Miles $300

11/11/07 Water Pump and Thermostat 127500 Miles $417

12/9/07 Window Regulator Passenger 128900 Miles $170.91 Sunset Imports

1/6/08 Spark Plugs and Row Mo30 and new plastic hard wear in front by tires 130,000 Miles

1/9/08 Windshield Repair 800-944-4577 // 714-992-9112 $50

1/30/08 Another Windshield Repair 800-944-4577 // 714-992-9112 $50

2/4/08 132000 Front Brakes (just pads)

3/16/08 13400 Oil Changes 15 W 50 9q

post-22197-1206595137_thumb.jpg

2002 C2 38k miles

All service from new to 3/06 done at dealership

Decent records, all service since 29k done at Indy shop by PO

Front pads & rotors @32k

Coolant expansion Tank @34k

Yearly oil change 0w-40 Mobil 1

New plugs, filters -30k service at 36k