Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's your mileage?

I don't think the database is a good idea...

A database to track failure info will only keep those who eagerly consult it from driving their cars, for fear of the same thing happening to them. If 1 in 1000 have a certain transmission failure at 31,000 miles, and another 1 in 2000 have a sunroof failure at 26,000 miles, [etc.] what are you going to do with that info?

Quit worrying and drive it. When it breaks, fix it. When you're tired of fixing it, buy a civic.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2002 Boxster S (986)

- Catastrophic failure < 20000KM (12000M). Engine replaced. Got rid of it at 32K for Cabriolet

2003 Carrera C2 Cabriolet (996) (current 62000KM)

- Engine failed - the common problem with the Main Rear Seals at 42000KM

- Numerous O2 Sensors Cataletic converters (did I spell that right?).

- Pulley broke which caused engine to overheat, had to have it towed to dealer. When it was fixed they must have loosened a hose on the power steering. 2 days after returned, power steering failed, went back to shop.

2004 911 GT3 (996) (Current 19000KM)

Thankfully no issues yet with this beastie.

2000 C2 cab w/ 39k

Slight RMS leak at 30k - fixed itself by driving the car more!

Burn thru rear tires in less than 8k , but **** is it fun!

MAF got dirty from K&N filter causing the check engine light to come on for awhile - I cleaned the MAF with electrical cleaner about 3 differnet times and it finally cleared the check engine light.

The car is awesome to drive and if it has a problem or 2 so what . Fix it and move on!

fun factor> cost = well worth it.

Hats off to this board for all the information regarding issues I have had. Saved me a ton of money.

Edited by ernied101

996 C2 1998

70k KM (no track use)

so far,

RMS seal once (about to go again)

Clutch

Air sensor

4 brake disks

brake main cylinder

wiper relay

wheel boolts (totally corroded)

very afraid of major engine breakdown due to cylinder crack.....

Peter

57,500 miles MY00 C2 cab manual

7 RMS

1 Greabox

1 Clutch

1 waterpump

1 replacement roof

Apart from that still running like a baby albeit still dripping the odd penny of oil on the deck once a month (Finally getting around to the 8th RMS on next major service in May).

Edited by Scouser

99 C2 coupe manual, 90,000 miles. Engine has 38,000 miles. Have been tracked twice so far.

1. Engine replaced when car had 52,000 miles. Previous owner reported engine just died on freeway cruising.

2. Sway bar drop links are now loose and needs replacing.

3. Getting a new clutch put in right now.

4. Mechanic reported RMS is still dry. I chose not to touch it. I think I have a magical RMS that last forever.

5. Replaced sticky ignition switch.

98 C2 Coupe 6 speed.

Got it last year with 39K kms on the odometer and I knew back then that I needed to replace tires, starter, and clutch (already did change these). Besides replacing the aforementioned, I have also replaced the AC unit, brakes (lines, pads, fluids), expansion tank and cap, droplinks (fronts), and fuel pump. I have also replaced spark plugs, poly rib belt, all fluids, all filters, rear console hinge, wiper blades, and rear window rubber seal.

Now I am dealing with an erratic idle problem which means sooner than later I will have to replace the MAF or the ICV or both. Truth be told, I was not expecting so many things to go wrong in a car that now has 45K kms. Lesson learned: buy one that is as mint as possible and do not be persuaded by a lower price car that needs some work. Never again :soapbox:

2003 Targa, 6spd currently just over 25k

previous owner:

both front seats - recall

tires - 7k

15k mile service

me:

RMS - 19k

window guides - 19k

head lamp washer - 21k

battery, user error - 23k

Some squeaks and rattles but otherwise functioning fine. This will be its first true summer in the south being that it was originally from CT. Curious to see how it handles the heat and traffic.

Database sounds like a good idea, but there are a lot of variables to consider. Here's a few:

1. Track car

2. Track & Street Car

3. Street Car, Daily driver

4. Occasional driver

5. Garage Queen

6. Number of owners

7. Driving technique

8. C2, C4, C4S

9. Turbo, NA

10.Coupe/Cab/Targa

11.Performance Mods?

12.Lease/buy

etc.etc.

FWIW, My 02 Cab was delivered 1/02. Have 29K.

Leaky oil pan cover and bolts replaced under warranty at 21K.

Out of warranty now, but still dealer serviced. Has had 30K + annual a few months ago. No problems. I guess you could call it a GQ+ altho it had made a couple of trips back and forth from Cape Cod to FL, so it does get exercised. Stored last 2 winters. No track, no other problems. (sounds like it's for sale :) it's not)

MY99 C2. Bought it with 18K on it and now have 31K after a year. Replaced the coolant tank and the tank cap after both failed..... Front hood latch froze up, and that's about all that's gone wrong. Oh yes...the clutch seems to engage a bit high up in the return travel...but it's not slipping so I've lived with it. I bled the clutch at the suggestion of Loren, and that seemed to help it. Chuck

I drive my 99 C2 100+ miles daily and after 86,508 miles have replaced...

rotors x4,pads with sensors,clutch,flywheel,rear main"just for kicks",plugs,ICV,MAFS,tires,2 headlamp bulbs,poly rib belt,and an oil seperator. It has been very reliable and a much better commuter than my 75 914. :drive:

'99 C2, somewhat daily driver, 2 previous owners, 50K miles. Just replaced starter and the RMS was replaced a year ago at 46K miles. Appears to remain dry, but time will tell. Other than those items, just regular maintenance.

2002 C2 with about 39000 miles.

New motor.

RMS and IMS on the new motor.

Climatronic display went bad.

Stalk for dash computer broke.

Headlight bulb.

Sway bar links loosened up.

Two batteries.

Early build 99 53000mi Semi Daily, 10 mile commute, never tracked.

Replaced radiator overflow cap. Factory

Loose cam cover, little bit of oil came out at 48K. Dealer fixed it for free.

Thats it.

Heck I still have the original rotors and I think front pads on the car. The rears are being replaced next week when I get my jack stands back.

Now my old porsche used to blow up all the time, driven much hard and 50+ years old in some cases. Definitly going to go GT3 in about 12 months when the lease on my normal daily comes and trade in the 996.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 99 Carrera. 64.5k miles. Had for 2 years. No real problems. Have cam cover leak on drivers side but it really only weeps oil. Mechanic says I should fix at some point. Replaced starter and ignition switch assembly.

Will need clutch at some point (still has original). Mechanic says it slips but I don't notice it.

Have done Front and rear brakes and rotors.

I love my car and it has been a lot more enjoyable and trouble free than the BMW's (M6, M3) or Mercedes I have owned.

Hope I miss out on the "CATASTROPHIC ENGINE PAILURE" headline.. :clapping:

2000 C4 Coupe 6spd - Not driven in the winter, about 85.000kms.

Purchased Certified Pre-Owned in 2004 about 55,000 KMS - outstanding condition.

Extensive work was done to the car prior to delivery with all paperwork present.

New Clutch, RMS, Battery, All Brakes, Front Windshield, Tires, Window Lifts, Rear Shock all new at purchase.

After purchasing it, Front Control Arms replaced under warranty as was an out-of-round tire and the RMS again.

Since then no problems, tires have been replaced due to wear and a puncture, rear control arms and battery.

Drives exceptionally well. No problems.

Bought 1999 C4 six months ago. 85,000 miles. Daily driver for some guy in California. 3 months and 500 miles later, bought new engine. It just blew up from excess oil in the coolant. Apparently that is a bad thing. At least it solved the mystery of where the quart of oil every 100 miles was going.

So everything is new now and due for oil change and a little maintenance in 10,000 miles. Saving heaps of dough not having to add oil.

Great car, completely worth it.

Check out Lee Quave's posts. Very informative.

Edited by mdgcentral99

At the end of January this year, I bought a 1999 C2, Guards Red exterior with Savannah Tan interior. Believe it or not, it had 10,360 miles on the odometer at the time, so I had to jump on this thing! The previous owner was the original owner and the only problem he had was with the sunroof, which was repaired under warranty. All proper maintenance was done, all records kept. It now has 11,312 miles (I only have time to drive it on weekends) and the only problem I've had with it is that the CEL keeps coming on every few hundred miles. I wonder if that is because it was in Scottsdale,AZ for all those years and now it's in SoCal, causing the MAF to mess up? Or maybe the MAF is filthy. I keep clearing it and it comes back, but every time it comes back, it is when I'm driving slow, such as when I'm driving into my garage or about to park.

That's about it for the problems. Other than that, it rides like a dream.

post-17119-1179172335_thumb.jpg

What was teh symptom for when you lost your oil separator?

My 2002 last week just smoked like crazy under hard acceleration once in third gear, for 500 feet, then went away. White smoke.

Now it does smoke a lot on cold start for 30 seconds. Then ok once driving.