Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turn signal stalk is not re-setting after turn?

I replaced the combination switch on my 02 996 about 3,000 miles ago.  I realize this is a common replacement item, but 3,000 miles is not what I would consider a reasonable timeframe to replace it again.  Is this consistent with other's experience?  If the life expectancy is that short I am hesitant to bother fixing it again.   The first time it was replaced, it was done at a reputable independent shop.  

I was warned to never hold/force the stalk in the on position to keep the signal blinking during a complex turning maneuver, like in a traffic circle.

I have tried to be very careful with signal use since I replaced mine a one year ago for almost $400 for the part.

The left signal is already intermittently failing to self cancel after completing a turn.

Since the existing signal sound does not rise above background noise in these cars that leaves me phantom signaling as I proceed down the road.

Need to retrain to manually cancel the signal now.

This vehicle only has 50k miles.

I run vehicles 150k to 200k before disposing and have never changed a turn signal stalk in my life.

This part totally sucks.

Edited by Kevin Bryck
add

The turn signal not resetting as well in my 2002 Carrera cabrio.
I think it is nit that annoying so I do turn the signal iff myself after a turn. It us not that bad. Just a habit as my 1988 Mercedes 500SL has that problem as well on left turns!
I feel not worth the cost if repair.
Other option is not to take turns and just go straight [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Kevin,

I'd like to take you up on your offer if your old Steering Control Switch Assembly is still available.  I've been thinking of gettign a 3d printer, and sinc emy newly acquire 2002 C4S is experiencing the same problem, I'd like to see if I could fashion a fix.