Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Row M030 and H&R Springs suspension questions

My 2001 is primarily my daily driver and I do use it occasionally for the track. My primary motivation for wanting to lower it, is for the cosmetic looks, but I also don't want to cause any unreasonable wear and tear on other parts of the car by doing this, and I would enjoy the handling offered by a better suspension.

In my researching the subject, it appears that many have been pleased with the ROW M030 option available from Sunset for about $920.00. I understand it has a good impact on handling and is the "factory" option for a better all around suspension. It also lowers the vehicle, but not as low as the H&R Springs.

I also understand that many are happy with the appearance, by just installing H&R Springs which lowers the car approximately 1 inch in front and rear, but that this might cause suspension issues on the track.

I don't want adjustable coilovers so that's not an option for me.

Thus, I was considering a combination of H&R springs along with the rest of the ROW M030 option (in other words, buying the ROW M030 option and replacing the springs that come with it with H&R). My questions are:

1) Is this feasible?

2) I believe (at least in my non-mechanical and engineering mind) that this will give me the combination I'm looking for, better looks from lowering an inch, and better handling by having the rest of the ROW M030 suspension components. Is this correct?

3) Are these parts compatible?

4) Is it a stupid idea?

5) Do the springs that come with the ROW M030 option have resale value that I will be able to obtain some of my $$ back?

I've purchased the H&R springs already, just want to be sure before I order the ROW M030 option. If the combination doesn't sound like a good idea, then I'll have to decide between just going with the lowering springs, or selling them and going with the full ROW M030 suspension. Take care,

Mike

If you have the H&R already don't buy the full M030. Just buy some shocks of whatever brand you want to match your H&R's and buy the M030 sways for the F&R...

You can ask around about shocks what is the best to run, I have had and liked KYB AGX and Koni Yellows. The AGX are adjustable and cheaper, the Yellows also adjustable and better but more expensive. That way your not buying parts you need to later sell, though the M030 springs only would prob be an easy sell.

You can also get whatever sway bar you want instead of the M030, Suspension Techniques makes a full set as does Eibach.

I come from a different perspective than Jim on this one. There's nothing WRONG with doing it that way, but the ROW M030 suspension is a system.

Once the ROW M030 is broken in, I don't think you are going to be able to see the difference in ride height between the two without measuring it. In the meantime, I don't know the numbers, but it's possible that the spring rates aren't that close between the H&R and the M030, so the shock valving doesn't necessarily match up optimally, and the sway bar selection may or may not be as good......etc.

I went through the same thought process as you. And, as you are probably doing, I also researched the heck out of all the options, then I decided that for an every day streeter that maybe sees a DE event or two, and maybe an occasional auto-x for fun, the ROW M030 is absolutely the best way to go. So I bought it.

In the process of putting it on right now.

FWIW - My $.02 - I would resell the H&R's and do the ROW M030 system complete.

"Once the ROW M030 is broken in"

Andy M, are you suggesting that the ride height will change after X number of miles? Alignment always needs to be checked as suspensions break in. I've had professionally installed race suspensions on my 911s and never heard that...of course they had to be re-aligned due to my curb jumping! I have the H&R sports on my '02 S and am very happy with the street performance and look. Even the standard Boxster suspension offers far more capacity than the average driver can handle. Look is cosmetic...save your money unless you drive like Jorg Bergmeister.

"Once the ROW M030 is broken in"

Andy M, are you suggesting that the ride height will change after X number of miles? Alignment always needs to be checked as suspensions break in. I've had professionally installed race suspensions on my 911s and never heard that...of course they had to be re-aligned due to my curb jumping! I have the H&R sports on my '02 S and am very happy with the street performance and look. Even the standard Boxster suspension offers far more capacity than the average driver can handle. Look is cosmetic...save your money unless you drive like Jorg Bergmeister.

So I have read in a few posts on the various discussion boards. Maybe it's true, maybe not. I can't say for sure becuse I haven't pulled my car out of the garage with the ROW M030 yet. I don't think there's anything wrong with the H&R's, just don't see the point in breaking up a tuned suspension system if you're going to buy it anyway. Buying the individual components minus the springs is only going to save you about $325, and you should be able to get that for the H&R's easily on eBay if they are still new in the box.

Edited by Andy_M