Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where is the assembly aid for changing a wheel?

Yes, it should be in the tool kit.

It is used to position the wheel so you don't hit the caliper putting the wheel on.

post-1-1175117433_thumb.jpg

I think you only need these if you have Ceramic Brakes. I do and they did not come with my car.

Part # is 999 571 07 430

I bought two and think they were around $10-$15 a piece.

Edited by dndodd

I won't be picking up my 997 for a few more days, so I'm not positive, but page 287 of the owner's manual states that the wheel hanger and other wheel changing tools are not included in the tool kit.

I have an 06 997 C4S - this was not part of my tool kit. I bought two from Sunset Imports - less than $10 each. Two are recommended for PCCB equiped cars. I use one for changing my wheels (non-PCCB) - primary reason to use is to keep from banging wheel agains the caliper.

There is no jack nor threaded bolt in my 05 997 C2S. I don't think they are in US cars? Does anyone has them?

Thanks

My 06 987 didn't have a jack or hanger bolt either, looks like they have replaced these items with a compressor and a canister of tire sealant! Heck it didn't even have a socket for the wheel bolts.

I get the impression they don't you to take off the wheels at all, just take it to a dealer for any required repairs.

I get the impression they don't you to take off the wheels at all, just take it to a dealer for any required repairs.

That is precisely correct. It's cheaper for Porsche to provide a Roadside Assistance plan than it is to put a spare tire and full tool kit in every car. Hey, this is the 21st century. Your tool kit now consists of a cell phone and a card with a number on it. Porsche probably figures that 99% of Americans (and Canadians?) would rather not get their hands dirty, and they are probably right. More and more carmakers are taking this approach.

My '86 Carrera came with a complete tool kit, including spare fuses, a spark plug removal tool, and a spare fan belt. It was equipped so the owner could do roadside repairs of almost any common failure. Those were the days.

Edited by P-nut

• 3 weeks later...

When I got my 997, I missed the "aid" too. Then I noticed that Performance Products sells a nice brass replica in their catalog. I bought 2 and it makes the annual switch to snow tires a breeze, especially for the fronts.

Looks like the wheel hanger went away when the spare tire and jack went away. The 996/986 all had the hanger because they have a spare and a jack.

There are companies that make them.

My stupid dealer did not know what I was talking about. So I bought one from MBenz parts. They have 2 sizes (M12 and M14), M14 for ML SUVs.

These are more expensive than those in earlier postings.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/wheelhgr.html

over price. even for porsche. It said it's built for strenght, but the key is that the wheel to be mount/dismount has no load, just the weight of the wheel, plus you are only using it for a very short period of time (a few mintues at most). Way over engineered.

Edited by colonel

• 2 months later...

996 owners are midirecting 997 owners. The installation tools were deleted from the tool kits upon introduction of the 997. Porsche requires you to buy a couple of these if you want to keep from damaging your rotors/wheels. Two are needed to do it right on the PCCB equiped cars,--you can probably get by with 1 for the iron brake cars. I slip my two into the end of the tool kit (where presumably they are SUPPOSED to go).

Dan

06 997S Hardtop Cabriolet

Turquoise, brown, PCCBs

In a pinch (remote roadside emergency) could one use a non threaded metal rod of appropriate diameter? For example, a 6" socket wrench extender seems about right. Maybe with a little duct tape on the end to protect the threads?

In a pinch (remote roadside emergency) could one use a non threaded metal rod of appropriate diameter? For example, a 6" socket wrench extender seems about right. Maybe with a little duct tape on the end to protect the threads?

Just spend the $10 and get one from Porsche. You can order from www.sunsetimports.com 999 571 074 30 - wheel hanger

Just spend the $10 and get one from Porsche. You can order from www.sunsetimports.com 999 571 074 30 - wheel hanger

A must for PCCB's. You certainly don't want to chip a ceramic rotor ($$$$).

I bought a couple from Jeff @ Sunset Porsche. I think they were $8 per hanger.

My dealer also had issues ordering the part... finally got two, after several tries... Even with iron brakes, two make life very easy when changing wheels...

Don't forget the hockey puck trick for your floor jack. A standard hard rubber puck placed in the cup of your floor jack fits the jack receiver perfectly on the 997. Works like a charm.

-don