Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

where did all the salt water store up?

So the 986 came out of the garage last night from it's winter sleep. After starting it and letting it idle for 2 minutes I proceeded down the drivway bacckwards noticing a fluid trail along the way. The AC wasn't on long enough for the evap to be dumping water so I jumped out concerned. Not oil, not green antifreeze...so we proceeded to the taste test!

Yep 100% hardcore Ohio salt water from our billions of tons of salt dumped on our streets. I had to drive the 986 a couple of times this winter why other cars were in the shop. Lots of freeway time. Before the car went back in the garage we gave it a light pressure wash on the rack at work and then I handwashed the outside.

Now here comes the real concern about the salt.

I moved the car today and there were puddles dried like th salt flats of West under the car near the front end. Several spots a foot in diameter all dried and heavily crystalized. The car has been out twice in two day in very dry conditions. So I'm rather concerned where all this water came from when the car was moved yesterday that dumped maybe quart or more of salty water on the garage floor.

Where is this water collecting for the last couple of months that it just released in an unbelievable amount of brine? I'd like to find the area so it doesn't collect and ruin the car.

Shawn

Chances are its allready been sitting on the car for quite a while if you've had it in storage, porsche guarantee their bodys against rust for 10 years with their zinc coating system, so definantly start searching for rust asap considering yours is a 1997 :)

But first thing i'd do is take it to the nearest self serve carwash and give the underbody a high pressure wash with some degreaser.

You shouldnt have to worry but definantly check all the seals and the bottem of the doors for any signs of corrosion or rust

Good luck :)

Edited by 911-996